Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka 2002 Front/rear Wipers & Washer Stopped Working

runningman

Hi

The Wipers etc suddenly decided to pack up on my daughters car.

Have been working fine since summer.

Checked fuse (20amp) which had blown.

Replaced this but wipers only dragged themselves across screen a couple of times before fuse blew again.

I now want to see if the relay is the problem so I want to replace.

However I don't know which plug in relay it is - ie 3 pin brown coloured or a 5 pin green.

Also, how do I source one.

If anyone can help with knowledge or a diagram I'd be grateful

Thanks.

The only relay in the wiper circuit is for the intermittent wipe.

Its the large red one on the back row.

From your description of the wiper operation I think you'll find its the wiper motor that is the problem.

• Like 2

Agree with Dan here, either the motor, or the wiring to it. I wonder if you are getting a short which is causing the fault.

Or the phoshor bronze bushing on the armature of the wiper motor has dried out, and there is little lubrication. The increased friction would cause the motor to stall. Which in turn causes the fuse to blow.

The fact that is will run a couple of times albeit slowly, before blowing again - suggests to me, this is what is happening. I've had two wiper motors do this to me but not on Ford wipers.

You'll need to remove the motor, and possibly remove the casing (I don't actually know wiper motor concerned), and then drip feed 3-in-1 oil onto the gold coloured bushing, it will readily soak it up. Keep feeding it until it will soak up no more. When that occurs, wipe off the surplus and reassemble

Thanks for the pointers/info.

How easy/difficult is it to get to the windscreen motor for a novice?

Thanks Dan, you've been really helpful.

Will take away and digest.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Just seen this thread hopefully you have it sorted . I did my nieces a couple of weeks ago with the same symptoms. I eventually found a broken wire about 3 inches from the washer pump.  Access meant removal of wipers and plastic cover no real problem. No reason why it had broken.  Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club