Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Amazon packaging-overkill?

Turvey

Just ordered new wipers front and back off amazon.

Front ones arrived yesterday. Only packed in a shrink-wrapped plastic bag. Arrived in perfect condition.

Rear wiper arrived today in this.......

13087596_10209307140018444_5600905797386

Box was 22 inches by 14!!!!! 

I know how annoying that is,

I ordered a tiny USB Drive and I had to go to the post office to collect it, because it was 'Too Big'.

IMAG0094.jpg

2 hours ago, Turvey said:

Just ordered new wipers front and back off Amazon.

Front ones arrived yesterday. Only packed in a shrink-wrapped plastic bag. Arrived in perfect condition.

Rear wiper arrived today in this.......

13087596_10209307140018444_5600905797386

Box was 22 inches by 14!!!!! 

what was the postage costs for that over sized box:wallbash:

Postage costs were probably the same...  It's cheaper for companies to just one or 2 sizes of box and they'll have a deal with the couriers anyway.

Same for ECP, they always send huge boxes, but I'm not complaining, they're decent boxes to reuse for storage or posting! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I'd much rather have too much packaging than not enough.

So many companies inadequately package their products and wonder why stuff arrives broken.

• Like 3

And all of it either ends up in landfill or in an ocean :rolleyes:

We re-use all the packaging at my work. We like bigger boxes. :D

2 hours ago, Incontro said:

And all of it either ends up in landfill or in an ocean :rolleyes:

I don't think there's anywhere in the UK that doesn't have kerbside cardboard recycling now? 

I don't like plastic or polystyrene packing though, but rarely see polystyrene now, and the plastic pillows are recycled and (I think) recyclable as well.

My argument would be if a signature is not required and could be packaged to fit through a letterbox then it should be,

I wasted time and money having to go and collect something half the size of my hand, a padded envelope would have been fine.

Even those Wiper Blades could have been wrapped in paper/plastic as it's already boxed, they aren't expensive items.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't think there's anywhere in the UK that doesn't have kerbside cardboard recycling now? 

We don't :-) Well, not for domestic customers. 

1 hour ago, RAIDER32 said:

My argument would be if a signature is not required and could be packaged to fit through a letterbox then it should be,

I wasted time and money having to go and collect something half the size of my hand, a padded envelope would have been fine.

Even those wiper blades could have been wrapped in paper/plastic as it's already boxed, they aren't expensive items.

Totally agree mate. Front wipers arrived the day before, wrapped in a heatshrunk plastic bag. 

Admittedly that is a bit OTT but I get the feeling packaging is one of them things.  People will moan either way, I suppose it's just left down to the hope of common sense prevailing

11 hours ago, RAIDER32 said:

Even those wiper blades could have been wrapped in paper/plastic as it's already boxed, they aren't expensive items.

Signature is what annoys me with parcels!  Anyone can sign for stuff, even if it's the wrong house.  Such a waste of time and costs more usually!.  Just leave it in a vaguely safe location somewhere around my flat and that'll do. :laugh: 

10 hours ago, Turvey said:

We don't :-) Well, not for domestic customers. 

Really?  Didn't know that!  What even happens to waste on Orkney?  I assume you don't have any landfills so it's probably shipped off elsewhere? 

19 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like plastic or polystyrene packing though, but rarely see polystyrene now, and the plastic pillows are recycled and (I think) recyclable as well.

I wasn't referring to the cardboard which is obviously recyclable. 

I was referring to the plastics used in packaging - the air pillows, bubble-wrap, etc... Maybe it is recyclable as you say, don't know tbh...

But still recyclable or not, the less excess waste, the better. Hate the excessive amount of packaging the supermarkets use for some fresh fruit/veg.

Free packaging to use if you send stuff yourself?

Places like Staples charge big money for bubblewrap.

Sent from my SM-G930F

On 29/04/2016 at 9:24 AM, TomsFocus said:

Really?  Didn't know that!  What even happens to waste on Orkney?  I assume you don't have any landfills so it's probably shipped off elsewhere? 

Seeing as I work for the Waste Dept up here I should be able to answer that and bore you all at the same time!  :)

General rubbish gets baled and shipped in containers up to Shetland and incinerated which in turn helps provide heat for the swimming pool and some houses I believe.

Cardboard and paper gets baled, separately, and sent south for recycling.

Plastic bottles baled and sent south.

Cans are separated into aluminium and steel and baled. Aluminium ones are sent south and the steels ones are sold to the local scrappy, who then sends them south.

Glass is crushed and used as substrate for making the concrete blocks used to help buildup and repair the Churchill Barriers as shown below.  

We have one landfill site used for inert materials ie builders waste etc.

churchill-barriers.jpg

• Like 4

Same as me Tom. Imagine if every member on here posted a detailed description of their job, what they do, and the behind the scenes information that the general public are usually oblivious to. That would be very interesting, and a useful learning experience for everyone!

• Like 2