Do Not Sell My Personal Information

300mm brake upgrade

Gymfocused

Can someone please confirm that these calipers+carriers will allow fitment of the 300mm discs in place of the current 278mm onto a mk2.5 zetec s      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360542162974?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI360542162974.N36.S1.R2.TR20#viTabs_0

yes it will fit , but it looks fairly grotty though lol.

• Like 1

Note that 300 mm front disk brakes must be combined with 280 mm rear disk brakes.

Combining 300 mm front disk brakes with 265 mm rear disk brakes or even rear drum brakes should be avoided. The bigger front disk brakes affects the brake balance of the car which can even make the car unstable during hard braking.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Note that 300 mm front disk brakes must be combined with 280 mm rear disk brakes.

Combining 300 mm front disk brakes with 265 mm rear disk brakes or even rear drum brakes should be avoided. The bigger front disk brakes affects the brake balance of the car which can even make the car unstable during hard braking.

I'm assuming the same goes for the MK3? Looking at doing both 

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Are you saying that the drums could start to lock activating the abs?

I had a similar upgrade on a rover 100 which had rover 200 size discs (238mm - 262mm) and that setup didn't cause any issues. 

it will pull the balance forward. if you think of a bike, if that bike slams on the front brake too much it will flip over.  A car wont flip, its much to heavy but the weight will shift forward, that in its self isn't the end of the world but what can upset your day is losing traction on the rear and the rear brakes may even lock up, it will also decimate the front brake pads as they will effectively be doing all the work.

if you change the front springs to much much stiffer springs you can offset the nose dive which will help keep the weight on the rear but that would be horrific to drive on normal roads and wouldn't prevent the front pads taking the brunt of all the energy and could give you real problems on corners if braking

without running the numbers on your car its probably got a 70/30 balance as stock with drums, 65/35 with rear 265 discs, increasing it further might change it to as much as 80/20 or 75/25. 

all in all, its probably a bad idea, not all that sure it will even look any good on 16in rims

land rovers have significantly more weight over the rear axle

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I'm assuming the same goes for the MK3? Looking at doing both 

The Focus MK3 has only one rear brake disc size. Both the 278 mm and 300 mm front discs are combined with 280 mm rear discs. The MK3 has a more advanced braking system than the MK2. The MK3 system compensates and adjusts the brake balance if necessary. However if the car has rear drums I would upgrade them first before upgrading the front discs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The Focus MK3 has only one rear brake disc size. Both the 278 mm and 300 mm front discs are combined with 280 mm rear discs. The MK3 has a more advanced braking system than the MK2. The MK3 system compensates and adjusts the brake balance if necessary. However if the car has rear drums I would upgrade them first before upgrading the front discs.

Any ideas what parts would be required for a MK3 drum to disc conversion? 

• 7 months later...

Can someone please tell me which red stuff pads I need? Gone to the garage today with the wrong ones. 

Does anyone know how many possible variants of caliper there are on the mk3 mondeo? 

Can someone shed some light on this pretty please?

All Mondeo MK3 versions have the same type of brake calipers. Even the 3.0 Duratec V6 (ST) has the same brake calipers as the 1.8 Duratec HE.

The Mondeo MK3 brakes are known to be insufficient. Especially for the higher power versions. Many Mondeo MK3 owners upgrade to the much better Focus MK2/MK2.5 ST front calipers.

On 11/02/2017 at 8:47 AM, JW1982 said:

All Mondeo MK3 versions have the same type of brake calipers. Even the 3.0 Duratec V6 (ST) has the same brake calipers as the 1.8 Duratec HE.

The Mondeo MK3 brakes are known to be insufficient. Especially for the higher power versions. Many Mondeo MK3 owners upgrade to the much better Focus MK2/MK2.5 ST front calipers.

Thank you for the info. St calipers won't fit the non St will they? 

In combinaton with the ST brackets and 320 mm brake discs the ST calipers can be used on every Focus MK2/MK2.5.

On 11/02/2017 at 8:47 AM, JW1982 said:

Hi, are these the correct pads please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311456438915?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As far as I can see these should be correct for the mondeo Mk3. However EBC does not list the red stuff brake pads for the mondeo MK3. They only list the green stuff and yellow stuff brake pads.

Personally I am no fan of EBC brake pads. I have seen lots of problems with them. The brake pad material coming loose from the backing plate is a common problem. On a normal street car I personally prefer Brembo disks combined with Textar pads. This combination is in my opinion a lot better than the stock disks and pads. More braking power and less brake dust.

• 8 months later...

Right, i have the pads, discs and a caliper repair kit, but i don't have and pad clips. Does someone know what the part number is please?

Which brake calipers do you have? 

The original Focus MK3 rear calipers do not have anti rattle clips.

6 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Which brake calipers do you have? 

The original Focus MK3 rear calipers do not have anti rattle clips.

Hi, I have some Bosch mondeo mk3 calipers. Thanks.

Would someone please confirm these are the correct fitment for front mondeo mk3 calipers? Thanks. 

Not got a clue mate, typically the thing to do is get a part number and search for it rather than get some part and ask if its the right thing. maybe it is, maybe it isn't. from the above posts it sounds like they are perhaps not the best for the job and ST parts might have been better, just remember if your sticking 300s ont the front you really need to consider doing more to the rear

I fitted 300mm discs to my previous MK2 Mondeo. If it's Mondeo calipers your using, then I'm pretty sure it's the thin wire retaining clips you need as fitted to the focus, can be bought on eBay for about £10 a set. What brake set up do you have on the rear?

20 hours ago, wilto said:

I fitted 300mm discs to my previous MK2 Mondeo. If it's Mondeo calipers your using, then I'm pretty sure it's the thin wire retaining clips you need as fitted to the focus, can be bought on eBay for about £10 a set. What brake set up do you have on the rear?

Hi. The only mk3 mondeo caliper clips I can find on eBay are that type. Are the mk2 Bosch as well?

I have and drums on the rear atm, which I'm guessing you will say is a bad idea?

I see you don't live that far from me!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club