Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Knocking noise from right side of engine and gets faster as you accelerate

Luke2016

I have a 2005 Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI manual. Today I have noticed that the right side of the engine (battery side) has got a knock and it gets faster as you accelerate ( the more you accelerate the less noticeable it is ) Hope someone has an idea before I start changing things.

8 hours ago, Luke2016 said:

Today I have noticed that the right side of the engine bay (battery side) has got a knock

First thing to check is the engine mount, should be one down under the battery. Look for splits in the rubber, and oil coming out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

First thing to check is the engine mount, should be one down under the battery. Look for splits in the rubber, and oil coming out.

Hello thanks for the reply, I have checked the mounts this morning but no luck, they are all ok

On 26/07/2016 at 3:50 PM, Luke2016 said:

knock and it gets faster as you accelerate

Is the sound audible in the car, or just under the bonnet?

If audible in the car, is it related to road speed, or to engine rpm? Or does it happen at idle, or only when the car is moving.

This is to separate transmission problems like wheels, wheel bearings, drive shafts & gear box, from engine related causes.

If in the engine, It is possible to use a flexible hose as a kind of stethoscope, to try to pin it down, to say crankcase or cam cover. (avoid the fan & aux belt if working near them!)

Some people post a recording (video), it might help someone recognise it.

Best I can think of at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Is the sound audible in the car, or just under the bonnet?

If audible in the car, is it related to road speed, or to engine rpm? Or does it happen at idle, or only when the car is moving.

This is to separate transmission problems like wheels, wheel bearings, drive shafts & gear box, from engine related causes.

If in the engine, It is possible to use a flexible hose as a kind of stethoscope, to try to pin it down, to say crankcase or cam cover. (avoid the fan & aux belt if working near them!)

Some people post a recording (video), it might help someone recognise it.

Best I can think of at the moment.

It does it at idle not sure about driving as not sure what it is so don't know what damage its doing but when it's on my driveway in idle it does the knocking then the more I accelerate the faster it gets with the revs. It is Also audible in the car. 

I have noticed today that the noise is coming from the right hand side of the engine itself at the top of the engine somewhere. Hope this helps. Thanks.

( I will get an audio for you tomorrow and upload so you can hear it )

• Like 1

Is it worse when cold, and gets quieter as the engine warms up? (try to capture some audio in both situations.)

Has the oil been changed regularly?

These engines are prone to camshaft problems (and others) if oil changes are too long.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Is it worse when cold, and gets quieter as the engine warms up? (try to capture some audio in both situations.)

These engines are prone to camshaft problems (and others) if oil changes are too long.

I'm not sure so I will do an audio for you in the next 2 - 3 hours

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luke2016 said:

I'm not sure so I will do an audio for you in the next 2 - 3 hours

16 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

9 hours ago, Luke2016 said:

I will do an audio for you in the next 2 - 3 hours

I have had a listen a couple of times. I think I can hear a tapping sound at about camshaft rate, below the normal diesel clatter, but it would take a more expert ear than mine to be sure, or to say it was abnormal.

Double check there is nothing loose around the engine: I had a connector at the back of mine that made a huge racket until strapped down.

Maybe someone more used to this particular engine (I have the 1.8) will chip in.

If still worried, either see if a local garage (if you have one you can trust!) can hear anything.

I was going to say take off the cam cover, but have just remembered that this includes the inlet manifold, and needs the high pressure fuel pipes to be removed. This makes it a big job, and expensive as the pipes are supposed to be replaced (The metal seals are designed for a single use.)

I did not hear anything that really alarmed me, I would use the car (not for long journeys, perhaps), and retest at times. With that audio track, you now have a reference to see if it gets worse. If it does, and the noise is at the top, then that cam cover will have to be removed.

I would also change the oil, unless it has been changed in about the last 3000 miles. The general recommendation on this site is for 5k to 6k mile oil change intervals on these DV6 engines.

Peter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I have had a listen a couple of times. I think I can hear a tapping sound at about camshaft rate, below the normal diesel clatter, but it would take a more expert ear than mine to be sure, or to say it was abnormal.

Double check there is nothing loose around the engine: I had a connector at the back of mine that made a huge racket until strapped down.

Maybe someone more used to this particular engine (I have the 1.8) will chip in.

If still worried, either see if a local garage (if you have one you can trust!) can hear anything.

I was going to say take off the cam cover, but have just remembered that this includes the inlet manifold, and needs the high pressure fuel pipes to be removed. This makes it a big job, and expensive as the pipes are supposed to be replaced (The metal seals are designed for a single use.)

I did not hear anything that really alarmed me, I would use the car (not for long journeys, perhaps), and retest at times. With that audio track, you now have a reference to see if it gets worse. If it does, and the noise is at the top, then that cam cover will have to be removed.

I would also change the oil, unless it has been changed in about the last 3000 miles. The general recommendation on this site is for 5k to 6k mile oil change intervals on these DV6 engines.

Peter.

Hello peter if it helps when I undone the oil cap where you top it up with oil' the noise was really loud coming out of that hole. Any ideas thanks.

31 minutes ago, Luke2016 said:

undone the oil cap where you top it up with oil' the noise was really loud

Listening in there will make all the engine noise louder. Was it that slower ticking / tapping, just audible at times in the video?

Trouble is, diesel engines are naturally noisy (it is not a fault, normal diesel clatter is just the fuel burning quickly, and shows they are working properly!), but I think I can hear a mechanical tapping, at a slower rate than the combustion sound.

Tapping from the camshaft could be a worn bearing, or a faulty hydraulic cam follower. In either case, it is a fairly major engine repair, and unless you have the experience and tools, it will be a garage job. Though not necessarily a Ford dealer, a competent & trustworthy local garage should be able to do a top overhaul.

Taking that top cover off for a preliminary inspection, might reveal any problems like that. Unfortunately, it is a big job in itself, so probably not worth doing unless you are equipped to do the repairs. So if you think a problem is developing, and I can not really tell for sure from here, then booking it in for a check up may be the only option.

Peter.

• Like 1

Hmm, there is a knock there but from that video I really can't work out what's causing it or how bad it is.

Can you see a leak around that end injector?  Can't make it out on the video myself.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club