Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Ignition Failure

John Rutley

Intermittent Ignition Failure.

I originally had an ESP system fault warning. Took it to the local Ford dealership and they ran a system diagnostic check which they said was ok. They could find no fault. Several days later a different warning light appeared ‘Accelerator Reduction’. Other warnings appeared on the consul but did not affect the running of the car. More disturbingly was the failure to start once I had parked up. All lights came on as normal but no ignition. I left the car stand for 5 minutes or so and tried again, this time it started. This has happened on several occasions but is not predictable, sometimes it starts ok with no problems. Has anyone experienced this sort of event?

My car is 2007 model Ford Focus Trend (but bought late 2006). It has a full service history and recently passed its MOT no problem. 51,000 miles. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Sounds like classic instrument cluster failure, when it is a none start does the immobiliser light flash out a code, usually 1-16 is the code that is noted, meaning the car is immobilised. This happens because the HEC and PCM are not able to communicate with each other and the PCM does not receive a valid command to allow starting of the engine from the HEC. 

It also seems that often the outside temp will show a dash and sometimes the mileometer will also shows dashes instead of the figures again because of communication issues, then you also get various errors from other modules that can communicate hence the reduced acceleration, ESP failure, Steering assist failure etc etc.

On 11/11/2016 at 5:26 PM, John Rutley said:

More disturbingly was the failure to start once I had parked up

Was the immobiliser light flashing oddly?

It actually flashes out a code if there is a problem.

Typical flash code:  The red immobilsor light will flash rapidly for 1 minute then it will emit a code
Example - 1 flash -PAUSE - 6 flashes = flash code 16

Flash Codes:

1 : 3 Key code not received is the key obscured, try again with different key, key may be damaged/faulty

1 : 4 Partial code only received is the key obscured, try again with different key, key may be damaged or faulty

1 : 5 Key valid but not programmed to PATS

1 : 6 Faulty link between PATS and ECU module

Code 16 is a classic symptom of the IC fault, that Simon (above) referred to.

I fixed mine for nothing, just some careful soldering, but I have the tools & experience. Companies like

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/repair/make/ford

offer to repair them for about £100, or a Ford Stealer will replace it for you for about £800 or more!

For more info, see:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=40491

i take it the same can apply to a 2004 fiesta fienesse as the same thing happens on my wifes car sometimes

3 hours ago, ayup said:

same can apply to a 2004 fiesta fienesse

I am fairly sure the PATS flash codes will apply, they do to the Mondeo, and the PATS system is fairly standard across Ford's cars. There are variants depending on time.

The IC failure referred to above is rather specific to a batch of Focus ICs made around 2006. Solder failures on the connector seem to have a very high rate on these. So the actual failure may be different, but the same principles apply.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club