Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can a car fail a retest on something that was not picked up on the original MOT ?

Fastlife91

If a car had an MOT and failed on say brake pads and took the car back for a retest MOT after replacing the brakes, is it possible that on the MOT retest that the  the garage can fail the car on say a trye or anything that wasn't picked up/noted down on the original MOT ?

My car is going for it's MOT retest tomorrow ( last day for retest) and while replacing the rear brakes the calliper retainer snapped in the calliper by about 3 or 5 mm.  I drilled a hole next to it and fitted the calliper back on but the same has happened on the other side aand just tick them off or do they check for other things ?nd I don't have the charger for my drill. I was planning on drilling 2 holes alongside rthe original holes.

Do retest mot's only check for things that failed on the original mot test or do they check for other things ?

do you think this will this be ok or a problem on my MOT ?

thanks everybody

A decent MOT tester should fail anything which doesn't meet the required standard, regardless of whether they saw it the first time.

So simple answer to your question is yes.

25 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

A decent MOT tester should fail anything which doesn't meet the required standard, regardless of whether they saw it the first time.

So simple answer to your question is yes.

do you have evidence to support your advice ?

also, is it okay to drill a hole next to the other hole to fit the new brake calliper retainer clip ?  thanks

Common sense?

An MOT tester is not doing his job properly if he passes a car and doesn't note something which would cause it to fail.

Whether or not they actually notice is a different matter.

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Common sense?

An MOT tester is not doing his job properly if he passes a car and doesn't note something which would cause it to fail.

Whether or not they actually notice is a different matter.

is it okay to get a drill and drill a hole next to the other hole in order to fit the new brake calliper retainer bolt ?

thanks

they"ll only retest on something that failed on the original mot . if they tested the whole lot again there could be a never ending of stuff that might go wrong inbetween the two tests

They should still fail it on something if they notice it, regardless of whether or not it was looked for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

They should still fail it on something if they notice it, regardless of whether or not it was looked for.

based on what evidence ?

25 minutes ago, cmozzer said:

they"ll only retest on something that failed on the original mot . if they tested the whole lot again there could be a never ending of stuff that might go wrong inbetween the two tests

great, I thought so much wanted confirmation

14 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

based on what evidence ?

Based on the fact they could be reported to VOSA if they passed a car with a dangerous fault.

So you wanted alexp999 to provide evidence but, cmozzer's statement was ok because it was what you wanted to here.

Youve gone from someone who requires advice to repair a car to now modifying brake calipers.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MarksST said:

So you wanted alexp999 to provide evidence but, cmozzer's statement was ok because it was what you wanted to here.

Youve gone from someone who requires advice to repair a car to now modifying brake calipers.

Exactly what I was thinking... 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Having been there with this one not so long ago the general advise from the garage was they can fail it on something if it relates to what they are retesting. For example, car has failed on a front wheel bearing, to replace the wheel bearing the ball joint needs to be split. In doing so the ball joint is disturbed and for some reason now has some play in it (yes this can happen as it did to me) and is now considered a fail. Whereas they would never know about a failed ball joint on the other side if they had no reason to be near it. 

1 hour ago, Fastlife91 said:

based on what evidence ?

Based on the evidence that an mot is ONLY fit for the day it was tested. Anything can fail even on driving out of the garage!

• Like 1

i replied on a duplicate topic, so will copy and paste on this one

The original failure items plus any components that needed disassembling in the process of fixing mot item, I.e pads, the caliper, calliper fixings, flexible hoses, road wheel, wheel nuts. Brake fluid level. Basically just a common sense check. Then a brake efficiency test.

the tester is not going to do a full check of items, but for instance he or she notices a failable item like a big crack across windscreen or other such items since the original mot , then they can fail the car. 

very rare that retesting a vehicle then that fails again on another item not being retested.

most common retest fail when maintenance on brakes are carried is a twisted brake flex hose due to caliper being refitted incorrectly. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Russ said:

Based on the evidence that an mot is ONLY fit for the day it was tested. Anything can fail even on driving out of the garage!

I once had a car pass the MOT...then the tester snapped the handbrake cable parking it in the car park. :laugh: 

• Like 2

Take a look at this guide:

MOTtesting.org.uk

It's mostly seems to be about the car leaving the testing station that failed it as they can just re-check the bit that failed if they are confident nothing else has changed as it has been in their possession.

I suspect they will effectively perform a full MOT check anytime it leaves the garage as anything could have changed without them knowing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Russ said:

So true, I had a cat let go on my old 206 just a day after it passed its mot (with an advisory on a rusty exhaust)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TotallyTonto said:

Take a look at this guide:

MOTtesting.org.uk

It's mostly seems to be about the car leaving the testing station that failed it as they can just re-check the bit that failed if they are confident nothing else has changed as it has been in their possession.

I suspect they will effectively perform a full MOT check anytime it leaves the garage as anything could have changed without them knowing.

As you say if the car leaves the garage they're entitled to do a full retest, if the garage fixes any 'mot failures' they'll just check the bits they've fixed as the car hasn't left their premeses.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club