Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil loss, no leak?

Jordan99

Hi all, I've had my focus 2005 1.6 (120000 miles) for around 2-3 months now. I've noticed that I'm having to top up the oil more regularly on this car than my old mk1.5 focus. There's no oil leaking, there's no blue smoke to suggest its being burnt, the cooling looks well like coolest and the oil on the dip stick doesn't look creamy. What could be causing the oil to vanish? It's now due for a service and mot but want to hold off until this problem is sorted. 

I've done some research and people are saying it's normal for this focus to use oil, but I don't think it is as I had my old focus for over a year and never had to top it up. 

Any help would be great, thanks. 

You need to tell us quantity of oil / mileage  eg. a litre each 500 miles etc?

My wife's mk1 focus (1.6 petrol) with about 80k miles on it used approx a litre each 2000 miles but I never saw any smoke and definitely no leak.

As for my Focus I never have to top it up between oil changes.

As a comparison a Peugeot 207 1.6 I have just got rid of with 42,000 miles on the clock uses 1 litre of oil every 600 miles which is normal for the type of engine fitted.

17 hours ago, Jordan99 said:

Hi all, I've had my focus 2005 1.6 (120000 miles) for around 2-3 months now. I've noticed that I'm having to top up the oil more regularly on this car than my old mk1.5 focus. There's no oil leaking, there's no blue smoke to suggest its being burnt, the cooling looks well like coolest and the oil on the dip stick doesn't look creamy. What could be causing the oil to vanish? It's now due for a service and mot but want to hold off until this problem is sorted. 

I've done some research and people are saying it's normal for this focus to use oil, but I don't think it is as I had my old focus for over a year and never had to top it up. 

Any help would be great, thanks. 

Mine is the same, I have a 1.8 petrol, changed oil last October, had to top up with the remaining oil left in can after oil change around Christmas time, checked it last week and it's down on the dipstick again.

Really weird, thought it just my car, I'll have to keep a better check on it I think.

I know we're supposed to check weekly or every 250 miles, I'm just wondering if its because I'm not checking it so regular that's how its looking so drastic when I do check it ?

I always check the oil with the filler lid off so no oil is trapped higher up i.e. No Vaccum if that makes sense as I thought there could be false readings so you would over fill and it would burn off ? Just a thought 

Every time i check my oil (Focus 2010 1.6 100ps) it's at the max marker. It never moves.

My old corsa used 1L every 1000 miles at the very least, apparently the norm according to the manual.

On 31/03/2017 at 8:22 PM, isetta said:

You need to tell us quantity of oil / mileage  eg. a litre each 500 miles etc?

My wife's mk1 focus (1.6 petrol) with about 80k miles on it used approx a litre each 2000 miles but I never saw any smoke and definitely no leak.

I haven't been monitoring the milage as I say I haven't owned it long. I know it was full when I purchased the car, since then I've done around 800-1000 miles and used around 500ml oil. I know it's not a lot but like my original post say, had my old focus for over a year and the oil never went down, that was also a 1.6 zetec with 20k less miles than my new one. Thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club