Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST Line 125 engine revs with gearchange

watson789

Anyone else noticed that the quicker you change gear up thru the box, the worse the drive experience is. For me, the revs rise by 200RPM, and then don't drop quickly enough to match road speed with engine speed with each upshift. If I then hold the clutch in, the revs are held by the PCM which makes for a smooth change if you take your time. Been back to main dealer a few times, to be told I change gear too quickly! Defeats the object of getting the ST Line really 😞

The 3 cylinder hangs onto it's revs, I've had it at 5000rpm in 3rd and had to wait 2 or 3 seconds before I could put it into 5th at sensible revs.

That's just the engine, specifically it's part of it being a 3 cylinder. If you're going hard revs through the gears you won't notice the issue. You'll get used to it.

Never had it increase revs when changing gear, that part sounds dodgy and dangerous

I have had my revs increase when I change gear, Ford had my car for a day to tell me when I picked it up that it is a feature of the car to help gear changing, which is pointless and its very annoying as it makes me look like an idiot when it revs unto about 4/5k revs

It's pretty common for these 3 cylinder engines, they have to use a pretty heavy flywheel to keep the engine balanced and therefore it really hangs to its revs. What I found is that, in comparison to other cars, it's necessary to lift the throttle just before you press the clutch. On other cars pressing the clutch and lifting the throttle almost simultaneously doesn't really result in a large rev increase, but on this engine it does. That doesn't mean I lift the throttle a second before I press the clutch, but I just try to keep the two moves separated. It doesn't increase the revs during a gear change then, so if it still does when you have the two moves separated I think something else is wrong.

I've found most petrol engines hang on to the revs when coming off the throttle these days, supposedly for emissions reasons I believe, though my Fiesta is not bad in this respect. 3 cylinder engines generally do seem worse affected, certainly my wife's SEAT Mii (VW Up! clone) needs a very deliberate approach when changing gear under firm acceleration as @Martijn89suggests, which is a shame as it has a very slick change otherwise (better than my Fiesta, which is bit "rubbery"). 

But hanging on to revs is one thing, actually increasing revs when changing gear doesn't sound right to me - I'd be inclined to investigate further/seek another diagnosis. 

• Thanks 1

Been out in my car today, for first time in almost a fortnight, due to holidays. Took the opportunity to give it a good thrash through the gears a few times (purely for the purposes of research, you understand😀), and found that the only way I could replicate the increase in revs mentioned in the OP was to dip the clutch fractionally before coming fully off the gas and even then the rev counter only momentarily flicked up 100 rpm or so. 

Now this may sound daft, but when I first got the car I had a few problems with catching my right foot with my left when dipping the clutch and braking, etc and eventually realised it only happened with one particular pair of trainers. This seemed very odd as they'd been fine when driving my last car and are still ok when I drive the Mrs's Mii. I can only put it down to them being a slightly wider fit than my other pairs of different brands, and I do think the Fiesta footwell feels a bit cramped. So might be worth experimenting with different footwear - I'm certainly happier driving in a battered old pair of Reeboks even if I sometimes need to change them on arrival!

I'm currently in a MK8 100PS as a loan car while mines having a recall, I noticed it jumps up around 200RPM when changing up causes a jolt which is rather annoying, apart from being extremely under powered it's a nice car to drive, think the 125 would be a much better choice as the 100 feels very flat

Have never noticed a problem with rev increases when changing gear up and accelerating. Then again I don't think I touch the accelerator when dipping the clutch in that way. Bringing the clutch up slower after change up may help with the jolt.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club