Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drums to disks

pattojones

Hi. Anyone done this? I have a 15 plate 1.5 tdci and I think the rear drums look awful.

I did before selling my Focus, all I did was buy a rear axle from a breakers cost £150 came with handbrake cable, calipers, brake lines basically everything needed then had a friend with a garage fit it.

My advice would be buy a complete rear axle and get a garage to fit the parts or do it yourself if you can. After using Focccus change to "with rear discs". 

Their is a noticeable improvement in force but not massive feels a lot more balanced. I did it mainly for looks then sold the car a week later lol.

• Like 1

do you mean the style or the rust on it?  if you clean the drum up and paint it, it will look nicer than a disc with rust around the centre and the outer edge and the clutter of the caliper. I know what something looks like is a matter of opinion. It seems a lot of work to go to changing it to discs. Drums work fine on the back for normal driving. I really don't think it is worth the effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isetta said:

do you mean the style or the rust on it?  if you clean the drum up and paint it, it will look nicer than a disc with rust around the centre and the outer edge and the clutter of the caliper. I know what something looks like is a matter of opinion. It seems a lot of work to go to changing it to discs. Drums work fine on the back for normal driving. I really don't think it is worth the effort.

@isetta I suspect the Op means that rear drums "look" rather :shit: on a modern car as large as a Focus (in most people's opinion it seems), especially with how "open" the design is for many of the wheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

@isetta I suspect the Op means that rear drums "look" rather :shit: on a modern car as large as a Focus (in most people's opinion it seems), especially with how "open" the design is for many of the wheels.

It annoyed me how the Hyundai i10 had them and I didn't that was the last straw for me after seeing my mates i10, I ordered one on eBay soon as I got home and picked up first thing in the morning haha.

• Haha 1

is ESP only fitted to vehicles with rear discs?

I think this will be an expensive project that'll need lots of parts.  check which elements of the rear suspension share common part numbers....

1 hour ago, Botus said:

is ESP only fitted to vehicles with rear discs?

Nope, ESP works perfectly well with drums.

It's an easy swap tbh, only need the hubs, calipers and handbrake cables, the beam and arms are the same afaik.  A lot of insurers won't cover it though so do check with your insurance first.

• Like 1

I did few weeks ago , in my mate garage  mts4x4.co.uk ( maybe you close so they can help)

ps. i have same hubs so no need to swap them , only covers need small mod.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club