Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleaning/overlay advice for Fiesta

DEVSR2

Hi - newbie post - I'm soon to be picking up a mk8 fiesta and I wondered if anyone has any cleaning/detailing tips and also the badge measurements for the steering wheel? I'd like to get some overlays made but need the measurements first. Hopefully someone with a MK8 can help out?

Re cleaning/detailing - I've seen quite a few threads on here with various product suggestions and tips. I think what I'm looking for is a straightforward set of products and routine. I'm ashamed to say that I've neglected my previous car slightly which led to swirly paint marks etc. I think detailing maybe the wrong term as I'm not looking at anything too fancy (some of the pics I've seen are wonderful though btw👍) but some proper 'core' starter products I can get on well with. Halfords do a 'starter pack' but one of the salesmen told me to not bother lol.

Any advice much appreciated.

Pretty much, the essentials are a good drying towel, I use a plush auto finesse one, its great. But better to dry the car off first, I use the autoglym blade.  If you think you have too many microfibres, you don't have enough microfibres. A wash mitt is also a good utility, reduces swirl marks left behind.  I use TFR dilute before I wash it to take off most of the road grime.  Get yourself some microfibre polish pads, and a reputable polish like autoglym or auto finesse.  A rapid detailer is always good too, gives a good look and shine, plus smooths paint, but only lasts a little while. A nice spray air freshener is also a good thing. A hardwax, like dodo juice, is great too, gives a long lasting shine and gives good protection as well.  You've tyre slick too.  To be honest there is a multitude of products out there, it's all down to your commitment and how long you can bare to spend cleaning a car.  The longest I've spent cleaning a car in one day is 10 hours, so I can go all out and still not be properly satisfied, it's all down to you really :)

11 hours ago, STJAY said:

Pretty much, the essentials are a good drying towel, I use a plush auto finesse one, its great. But better to dry the car off first, I use the autoglym blade.  If you think you have too many microfibres, you don't have enough microfibres. A wash mitt is also a good utility, reduces swirl marks left behind.  I use TFR dilute before I wash it to take off most of the road grime.  Get yourself some microfibre polish pads, and a reputable polish like autoglym or auto finesse.  A rapid detailer is always good too, gives a good look and shine, plus smooths paint, but only lasts a little while. A nice spray air freshener is also a good thing. A hardwax, like dodo juice, is great too, gives a long lasting shine and gives good protection as well.  You've tyre slick too.  To be honest there is a multitude of products out there, it's all down to your commitment and how long you can bare to spend cleaning a car.  The longest I've spent cleaning a car in one day is 10 hours, so I can go all out and still not be properly satisfied, it's all down to you really 🙂

Great advice - many thanks! I think I'll see what prices I can find and get a kit list together. I do have some Meguiars tyre slick somewhere which is awesome (unless you get it on your hands) but aside from that and a 'few' microfibres, I'll have to go purchase the rest.

10 hours is a long time but judging by your pic you've smashed it. Any recommendations on TFR?

• Like 1

I use the following regularly:

snow foam

Fallout remover

Bodywork shampoo

Spray wax

Wheel sealant

Interior Shampoo

Leather cleaner

Glass cleaner

That's for a 3 hour clean...

I mostly use Autoglym products, but my snow foam and lance are from Auto Finesse. As @STJAY says, a wash mitt and microfibre cloths are essential too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DEVSR2 said:

Great advice - many thanks! I think I'll see what prices I can find and get a kit list together. I do have some Meguiars tyre slick somewhere which is awesome (unless you get it on your hands) but aside from that and a 'few' microfibres, I'll have to go purchase the rest.

10 hours is a long time but judging by your pic you've smashed it. Any recommendations on TFR?

The Meguiars tyre slick is great, smells amazing too, however in my last car it opened in the boot, it smelled unreal but it caused mayhem :laughing:.

Tar and bug remover is always gonna be a good friend too, turtle wax one I've used compared to auto finesse is night and day.  The turtle wax was fantastic.

It is a long time, but I find it very relaxing and therapeutic, and thanks for the comment :biggrin::biggrin:.  Best I've used is either the quantum stuff you can get from any VAG dealer, 25litre drum and very cheap, I can also supply the part number if you need it lol, or a more manageable one from Halfords called CarPlan Trade Super TFR it's 5 litres and if you've a trade card its just over £12 

Meguiars Endurance Gel is fantastic, I haven't found anything else that comes close!  But it's so messy to apply...has anyone found a suitable method for complete coverage without getting it all over the rim?

I tried paintbrushes, sponges and paper towels without much luck (don't try it on a microfibre, it's too waterproof lol), I even bought the proper applicator but that wasn't any good either, and it wears out quickly if the tyres have rough sidewall patterns.  Such a shame because the product is great, I just hate applying it.

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Meguiars Endurance Gel is fantastic, I haven't found anything else that comes close!  But it's so messy to apply...has anyone found a suitable method for complete coverage without getting it all over the rim?

I tried paintbrushes, sponges and paper towels without much luck (don't try it on a microfibre, it's too waterproof lol), I even bought the proper applicator but that wasn't any good either, and it wears out quickly if the tyres have rough sidewall patterns.  Such a shame because the product is great, I just hate applying it.

I have the Autoglym brush, it seemed to work for me no worries.  Also auto finesse do a "shaped" sponge that curves around tyre which looks the part.

3 minutes ago, STJAY said:

I have the Autoglym brush, it seemed to work for me no worries.  Also auto finesse do a "shaped" sponge that curves around tyre which looks the part.

The Megs applicator is the same as the AF sponge, looks good but is disappointing in practice.  Have you got a link to the AG brush?

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The Megs applicator is the same as the AF sponge, looks good but is disappointing in practice.  Have you got a link to the AG brush?

Oh is it? Fair enough, looks good in principle I guess lol.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/sponges-brushes-buckets/autoglym-hi-tech-car-wheel-brush  That's from Halfords, you may find it cheaper elsewhere?

• Like 1

Don't have a mk8 to help with the gel overlay but I'm into my detailing

Theres a lot of products out there but what I use is what I found to have results. 

Wash mitt - gtechniq wm2 and a cheap asda noodle mitt for the wheels. 

Drying towel - kkd silverback, heard its the best one to get. 

snow foam - bilt hamber auto foam, around £16 for 5 litres. Get a good snow foam lance the best ones are made in Italy. 

DSC_0247.thumb.JPG.f7cdf13a51f3b50f3d73b0c882df60b6.JPG

Bucket - chemical guys and their cyclone grit guard. 

Shampoo - bilt hamber auto wash, only need a teaspoon in a bucket to create thick suds. 

Finish spray - Koch chemie fse, is able to remove water spots and adds a lot of gloss. 

Wheel cleaner - fast shot wheel cleaner, pH neutral and works really well

Tire dressing - Meguiars endurance tire gel only need a small amount and mine has lasted about 2 or 3 years now and haven't used a quarter of the bottle. 

Wax and sealant - fusso coat and chemical guys petes 53 wax. 

Tried getting more pictures up but this stupid message keeps popping up saying 'can't complete previous action due to low memory' 😤

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club