Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ELM327 OBD2 ForScan 'how to' query...

StephenFord

I just bought myself the OBD2 cable, and have downloaded ForScan onto my laptop. Is there a very simple 'how to' tutorial anyone can suggest? I don't currently have anything wrong with the car, but am just curious on what this tool can do as frequent posts on here suggest using it! Please, treat me like an idiot, like, do you need to have the ignition on for it to work? LOL

There is a Forscan forum, all the details are in that forum.

You have to be a member to get the extended license if I remember rightly

I take it you have the correct cable with a switch on the OBD plug?

You need to install the driver for the ELM327 before trying to use it. Windows may find it for you but probably not so you will need to use the CD it came with or do a Google search.  

You are doing the right thing by reading up first as you can really damage your car if you aren't sure what you are doing.

Ignition needs to be on but engine off 👍

• Like 1

It won't be able to see some of the modules as it will only scan part of the ECU. You need to be able to scan the HS & MS CAN, which is where the switch comes in to it.

THIS is what you need, I can't vouch for this particular one as I haven't used the seller before but it gives you an idea of what you need. 

Bugger, should have come on here first! LOL

it's not totally useless without the switch, just not as good. 

3 hours ago, pragmatix said:

If you buy from here (which I’d recommend if you are happy to pay the extra) then all the drivers are on his site, you do not receive a disc so don’t worry when it arrives without one 😉

there is a new version of the cable, it is a couple of pound more again but it doesn’t have a mechanical switch the gadgetry inside does all that automatically.

• Like 1

checking tunnelrat today there does not seem to be the auto switching one on there, but I have seen it on there before. So we don't know if it is temporarily out of stock or if they stopped doing it due to problems perhaps. I have the manual seitch USB one from there and I bought my brother the wifi one from there. Seem fine.  the Links and Help tab are where to go for software/drivers.

I didn't look at the site,  haven't been on there for quite a while.

I wonder wether there have been problems then 🤷‍♂️ 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, pragmatix said:

Agreed, I Highly recommend this site. I would be extremely cautious with eBay and such like.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club