Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 TDCI problems Mk2 Focus

spottedtango

Hi there,

I've recently developed a problem with my car. I've got a loss of power and feels like I'm driving with no turbo as I don't have the usual turbo kick at 1750rpm, I can no longer hear the turbo whistle when I rev the car at a stand still.

Usually when starting the car theres a puff of blue smoke on start up that goes away and when I rev the car above 3000 at stand still theres some blue smoke but not excessive. It also didnt feel like it wanted to rev much higher.

It's hard to describe but the car sounds deeper/slightly louder but no whooshing like a boost leak.

This started happening after an 80mph run for about 25mins up the motorway. Once i had slowed back down to town speeds then the symptoms became apparent,

So far I've:

checked the all the intercooler hoses (as I've had to replace ones in the past). Including the ones that go from the airbox to intercooler and then up to the 90 degree into the turbo

checked the exhaust by putting my hand over the end, car stalls so no leaks. which i dont think would affect the turbo anyway but was making me wonder about the deeper noise.

The car:

153,000miles 2006 mk2 Focus

slight turbo whine when it was working.

I've always changed the oil/filter about 10,000miles and used 5w30 semi synth, it is overdue a change by about 1/2k cause of bad weather recently. Air filter changed every 20,000

No engine warning lights or the red cog appearing on the dashboard. The car has no power from the start it doesn't appear to go into limp home mode.

I'm a bit confused to what it could be as I thought turbo failures would be more dramatic. Can a turbo impeller seize and just stop turning?

Theres a few more checks I'm going to attempt later on. Just wondering If anyone has any suggestions. 

EGR is blocked and jammed open. Had this on mine. Lots of EGR cleaner and a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through the system and it sorted itself. Has been fine for the last 5 years.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club