Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Estate rear door problem!!

bartholomew10

Hi All, Time to throw myself on the mercies of the technical folks out there! Just moved from a 2003 Mk2 Estate to a 2005 Mk2 Estate.  All seems fine, but - a huge 'but' - there  is only one key with the car.  Tried various sources for a second key and found several around the £100-£120 mark. However, one chap can do a  'door and ignition' key for just £50,.  A big saving - that's way over 200 miles of fuel, for a start!

Now the snag!: The Mk2 'boot' door only works on the electronic 'fob system - NO supplementary button on the dash like my Mk1. (a penny-pinching' cost saving deletion by Ford?)

So - - - Can anyone please suggest a way I could somehow 'wire in' an internal  switch which would allow me to activate the (door lock or relay??) boot lock once in the car?

If the difference was'nt so much between prices of basic key and electronic key I wouldn't seek help, but it seems to my simple mind that there should be some way to get around the problem. After all my Mk1 has such an option.

Over to you please?

Thanks in advance,

bartholomew10

35 minutes ago, bartholomew10 said:

The Mk2 'boot' door only works on the electronic 'fob system - NO supplementary button on the dash like my Mk1. (a penny-pinching' cost saving deletion by Ford?

I think you'll find there is a button in the tailgate trim between the number plate lights. Unfortunately early versions of this arrangement were prone to water ingress. Personally I deplore the 'penny-pinching' that involved the removal of the key barrel in the tailgate, meaning it can only be opened electrically.

Many thanks Mike T:  I will have a look under the rear door trim this evening to see if I can suss out the right button.  Presumably one can 'adapt' the button so as to be able to connect up a 'remote' one using lots of wire and a small extra button somewhere on the dashboard??

I will post any success's on the Forum in case others might need the advice too.

I am about to throw another query into the ether regarding some rust that's in the lower rear of the front wheel arch: Basically once one has taken off the plastic inner wing spray shield, how much 'further' can one reach before hitting the next bulkhead? If it's as much as maybe 3 to 4 inches then I can easily fix the rust in he rim of the arch without welding.  Much more than that then I might have to work out how to 'enter' the sill box, and I guess that'll mean welding!

The car has been seemingly looked after well (hardly any rust anywhere), although no history, which makes if more odd that someone has allowed the rust to just work to badly unchecked in that one position!

some info here on how you can do a second key yourself

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club