Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 brake drum cylinder

F0CUE

Recently I got a temporary replacement of a cylinder from the scrappies whilst waiting on new ones and was wondering is there a simple method to fitting these? If it's bolted on then the pipe connection would get twisted and stressed when tightening on as there is no swivel bold.  I had to hold it in place with a spanner then turn the whole cylinder with vice grips that was the only way I could think of without twisting hell out of the brake line .

The nut should rotate around the brake pipe, it will be stuck with corrosion. 

14 minutes ago, stef123 said:

The nut should rotate around the brake pipe, it will be stuck with corrosion. 

Damn your sh****** me I'll get some anti seize spray or something and leave it to soak overnight before changing to the new ones thanks. New brakes coming too the old ones are near to the metal now lol

once you have got the tube nut loosened on the pipe I would put copper grease in between where the tube nut goes round the pipe. 

Does you car still have the original steel pipes or have they been replaced with copper? 

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

Does you car still have the original steel pipes or have they been replaced with copper? 

I have not checked further up the lines m8 I did see a video of one leaking further up behind the heat shields and that was metal and not copper I have no leaks thank god and the connections to the the cylinders are rubber pipes unlike the old ones.

2 hours ago, isetta said:

once you have got the tube nut loosened on the pipe I would put copper grease in between where the tube nut goes round the pipe. 

Cheers but I heard copper grease attacks rubber with the chemicals in it and the lines are rubber so I'll use ceratec grease.

Done the brakes today. Had a bit of hassle though the bottom spring end snapped so had to pop to the scrappy with one side new brakes and no anchor spring it made it fine though. Got the new cylinders done got them bled then the alarms went off "low brake fluid" lol luckily you get tons in a bottle so topped it up and it rained in between so got soaked. Got to say though what an amazing difference. I found my cylinder on the driver's side where the hole for the pipe and bolts go through the backplate the top part of the cylinder had an actual hole in it and must of been constantly leaking. I wouldn't of known if I had not decided to renew them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club