Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eco boost oil - Castrol or Shell

Jusitne

As long as the oil is to spec 5w20 wss-m2c948-b it will be fine

• Like 2

At the last service, Ford dealer here in Egypt used for my car the Motorcraft fully synthetic WSS-M2C945-B1, mine is ecoboost 1.0 100ps, so is this oil suits my engine according to Ford specs ? and what could be the difference between it and the WSS-M2C948-B ?

Could be different specs depending on country. Know the spec you said 945 -b1 is used in usa Mustangs but over in UK the spec 948-b is used for Mustangs. 

Either way , the spec difference won't be much to affect day to day driving and engine protection. 

• Like 2

My Ford dealer uses Neste Pro+ F 5W-20 oil for my Fiesta Ecoboost. I live in Finland and that oil is manufactured by Finnish company. It's made for Ecoboost engines and it Fulfills all requirements set for Ecoboost oils. My point being is that I'f the oil fulfills the requirements for Ford WSS-M2C-948-B it should be suitable for an Ecoboost engine regardless of who manufactured it.

I also found a site with the ...45-B1 ending spec oil which is also 5W-20 and manufactured by Motocraft. No idea what is the difference between that and the ...48-B ending spec.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

Edited by Jeipii
  • Like 2

guys I've been reading this article that promotes the use of 5w-30 grade over 5w-20 , it says that 5w-20 compromises engine life by 30% !!, and that Ford was forced to use that grade to maximize fuel economy to meet regulations, and the 5w-20 will increase wear and shorten the life of your engine specially if it is a high performance engine or you use it in heavy duty applications !! , now I would be glad to hear your opinion about this , are we in danger ? 😭😭

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm  

39 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

guys I've been reading this article that promotes the use of 5w-30 grade over 5w-20 , it says that 5w-20 compromises engine life by 30% !!, and that Ford was forced to use that grade to maximize fuel economy to meet regulations, and the 5w-20 will increase wear and shorten the life of your engine specially if it is a high performance engine or you use it in heavy duty applications !! , now I would be glad to hear your opinion about this , are we in danger ? 😭😭

If this was a real danger and given 5w-20 has been used for plenty of time, I’d be sure it wouldn’t be in use and also the reliability of the Ecoboost engines would be under many questions, which it currently isn’t

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 11:52 PM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

If Ford allows one to use 5W-30 oil then it can be used. Otherwise if you're using it you take a risk of damaging your engine since the engine is designed to a certain oil spec.

Maybe in Egypt it is recommended to use 5W-30 ? Maybe the local 1.0 Ecoboosts are slightly different from ones in Europe for example? My 1.0 is built in France Cologne (there's a sticker on top of the engine) where is your engine built ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeipii said:

If Ford allows one to use 5W-30 oil then it can be used. Otherwise if you're using it you take a risk of damaging your engine since the engine is designed to a certain oil spec.

Maybe in Egypt it is recommended to use 5W-30 ? Maybe the local 1.0 Ecoboosts are slightly different from ones in Europe for example? My 1.0 is built in France Cologne (there's a sticker on top of the engine) where is your engine built ?

my engine is built in Craiova , Romania,  The dealer in Egypt uses 5w-20 motorcraft oil, with specs WSS-M2C945-B1 , by the way what could be the difference between engines made in Cologne or Craiova, is there really any difference ? quality may be ? better assembly for engine parts ? because actually while my engine is built in Craiova there are other fiestas in Egypt their Engine is built in Cologne, its just your luck when you book one either you get Craiova or Germany , you never know , and you can't ask for it , just your luck !! , either way the car itself is made in Germany. 

On 10/26/2019 at 11:32 PM, DG97 said:

If this was a real danger and given 5w-20 has been used for plenty of time, I’d be sure it wouldn’t be in use and also the reliability of the Ecoboost engines would be under many questions, which it currently isn’t

I find my self going with that opinion also , its such a thing that would ruin Ford reputation if this engine's longevity is compromised because of the recommended oil being not suitable 🙂 

by the way I would like to thank you personally for your opinions on various posts here ,I find them always comprehensive and helpful, really thank you 🙂  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

my engine is built in Craiova , Romania,  The dealer in Egypt uses 5w-20 motorcraft oil, with specs WSS-M2C945-B1 , by the way what could be the difference between engines made in Cologne or Craiova, is there really any difference ? quality may be ? better assembly for engine parts ? because actually while my engine is built in Craiova there are other fiestas in Egypt their Engine is built in Cologne, its just your luck when you book one either you get Craiova or Germany , you never know , and you can't ask for it , just your luck !! , either way the car itself is made in Germany. 

My Thailand assembled, Craiova engined 1.0 Ecoboost owners manual recommends 5w-20 but says 5w-30 can be used. 

CB565031-F0B6-4DF2-9A68-AD5C9E4BDFB1.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

My Thailand assembled, Craiova engined 1.0 Ecoboost owners manual recommends 5w-20 but says 5w-30 can be used. 

CB565031-F0B6-4DF2-9A68-AD5C9E4BDFB1.png

I'm not sure if your manual is slightly different from mine (it seems so), but in my manual it says that if one needs to add oil and don't have 5W-20 the 5W-30 can be used instead. But only 0,8 liters max. In my manual it states that in regular oil change one has to use 5W-20.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

Sometimes car makers have slightly different parts/specs for different markets. For example in Finland the yearly average temperature is much lower than in Egypt. So in some cases it might make sense for manufacturer to have some parts different depending on where the car is sold. Although I don't think this is very common since it costs money 🙂 But us consumers dont necessary know if this is the case or not.

Some people have had oil pressure problems when 1.0 Ecoboost oil strainer has been blocked by some debris. This is pretty serious and makes me consider twice before I use any other oil in my engine than the one that manufacturer has specced even if the reason for these problems might be something else than wrong type of engine oil.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeipii said:

Sometimes car makers have slightly different parts/specs for different markets. For example in Finland the yearly average temperature is much lower than in Egypt. So in some cases it might make sense for manufacturer to have some parts different depending on where the car is sold. Although I don't think this is very common since it costs money 🙂 But us consumers dont necessary know if this is the case or not.

Some people have had oil pressure problems when 1.0 Ecoboost oil strainer has been blocked by some debris. This is pretty serious and makes me consider twice before I use any other oil in my engine than the one that manufacturer has specced even if the reason for these problems might be something else than wrong type of engine oil.

according to my owner's manual ( which I couldn't post a photo for it here because its written in Arabic so I think there will be difficulty understanding whats written  😄 ) the manual states that the recommended oil is 5w-20 with specs WSS-M2C948-B , and if you can't find this spec you can top up with any 5W-20 oil, note that the maximum allowed capacity for the other oil use is 1 litre between services .

the service portfolio which I received with the manual states that the recommended oil is WSS-M2C948-B according to Ford specs or WSS-M2C945-A according Motorcraft specs , all are 5w-20 !!

the dealer uses Motorcraft WSS-M2C945-B1 which I have learnt that its an updated version of the 945-A, it is also 5w-20, so I guess I'm OK. 

there is no 5w-30 mentioned any where either in the manual or the service portfolio.

Very confusing with all these specs 😄 

• Like 1

I just purchase oil from my Thai based Ford dealer. They gave me 5W-30. They said they can order in 5W-20 but they use 5W-30 for their Ecoboost oil changes. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2019 at 1:22 AM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

At the last service, Ford dealer here in Egypt used for my car the Motorcraft fully synthetic WSS-M2C945-B1, mine is ecoboost 1.0 100ps, so is this oil suits my engine according to Ford specs ? and what could be the difference between it and the WSS-M2C948-B ?

On 10/26/2019 at 1:22 AM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

Not suitable, only 948-B is allowed for gasoline 1.0L echoboost engines. No alternative oil is allowed according to Ford website. The dealer needs some hard talk!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club