Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scuffs/Scratches On Windscreen

byronwells

Alright peeps

I have got a few scuff/scratch marks on windscreen (nothing deep at all) and was wondering how I can get rid of them because they are annoying, but I don't have tons of money to do it

18 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

You could try some jewellers rogue.

If very light scratches/scuffs toothpaste, or a good metal polish e.g. Autoglym, can at least make them less obvious, or as @eddie eastwood suggests, jewellers rouge could be worth a try. Whichever, you are looking at a lot of rubbing unless using a mini polishing disc (with great caution!)

46 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

If very light scratches/scuffs toothpaste, or a good metal polish e.g. Autoglym, can at least make them less obvious, or as @eddie eastwood suggests, jewellers rouge could be worth a try. Whichever, you are looking at a lot of rubbing unless using a mini polishing disc (with great caution!)

Yep my scratches/scuffs are very, very light... If I use toothpaste, does it matter any brand, any special ingredient in them or can I really use a very cheap one??  In regards to the metal polish ones are they just for parts of the bodywork, not glass parts?  At moment it blasted raining so can't do anything about it

46 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

5 minutes ago, byronwells said:

If I use toothpaste, does it matter any brand, any special ingredient in them or can I really use a very cheap one??  In regards to the metal polish ones are they just for parts of the bodywork, not glass parts? 

I've just used anything I had in the bathroom. Metal polish - yeah, it's meant for metal of course but being mildly abrasive, like toothpaste, can do the job on very light scratches on glass. I've used Autosol in the past as that's the metal polish I usually use (sorry, I mentioned Autoglym above in error), but any decent metal polish, even Brasso, is worth a try.

Could also be worth checking your windscreen cover on your car insurance, certainly many policies cover minor screen repairs for free or a small excess, without affecting NCD.

Whitening toothpaste should be the best as that's usually got micro-abrasives in it.

Cerium oxide is the proper stuff for polishing glass.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Cerium oxide is the proper stuff for polishing glass.

👍 Yes, lots of this for sale on Amazon/EBay etc on its own or as part of a kit. I was thinking of stuff already lying around the shed/garage/bathroom - Yorkshire aversion to spending money as usual!😀

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

👍 Yes, lots of this for sale on Amazon/EBay etc on its own or as part of a kit. I was thinking of stuff already lying around the shed/garage/bathroom - Yorkshire aversion to spending money as usual!😀

The cheapest option is to just leave it tbh…  Even toothpaste is expensive!! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Even toothpaste is expensive!! :laugh: 

Yeah, but people would normally have some in the bathroom already!😀 

I have tried to used Colgate Toothpaste to remove scratches/scuffs but it doesn't work.. Unless it takes hours to remove them....

2 hours ago, byronwells said:

Unless it takes hours to remove them....

Some time since I've had to do it, fortunately, but it did take a quite a while over several attempts to make any difference. You could "escalate" to cerium oxide polish or jewellers rouge as mentioned above. There are a lot of "how to" video guides and other info on this subject on the web which are worth a watch/read if you do a quick Google.

It really depends how "light" is "light" - I've had no success with anything I could actually feel with a fingernail. 

Dang it I used normal bog standard toothpaste and nothing happened.. I should have used the whitening type one instead.. Hopefully that will remove it or I will try some cerium oxide polish or jewellers rouge, but I don't have money to buy a drill for the polishing part.. So hopefully something easy for elbow grease usage 😉

I looked into this a while ago and found this on you tube. 

I haven't got round to it yet but his paste is made up of turtle wax rubbing compound and fast orange pumice soap hand cleaner

ratio 25% rubbing compound - 75 % pumice soap

If any one with experience in this sort of thing can report back it'll save me messing it up ;o)

• 1 month later...

Grrr! Picked up a small chip/graze this morning driving home from a few days away. Gave it a good clean then a serious application of toothpaste and metal polish which has actually made it a bit less noticeable and feel a lot smoother so hopefully it won't chew the blades.

Will have a go later with cerium oxide or similar - sure I had some in the garage somewhere but can't find it at the mo so may have to resort to buying some!😠

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Grrr! Picked up a small chip/graze this morning driving home from a few days away. Gave it a good clean then a serious application of toothpaste and metal polish which has actually made it a bit less noticeable and feel a lot smoother so hopefully it won't chew the blades.

Will have a go later with cerium oxide or similar - sure I had some in the garage somewhere but can't find it at the mo so may have to resort to buying some!😠

I feel your pain Roger m8.  Hope you can lessen the effect of it.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tef89 said:

I feel your pain Roger m8. 

Thanks Gary. It's not bad enough (hopefully) to trouble my insurance glass cover yet - I had a couple of chips repaired on my A3 which weren't a great success.

Probably brought it upon myself by thinking "Hey, I've had this car nearly 2 years and no screen chips yet"😀 It's done well by comparison to some I've had - by this stage my earlier A4 had 3 professional screen chip repairs, then a replacement screen. Not to mention an expensive body repair when a flying bolt took a chunk out of the screen pillar, plus 2 wheel arch repairs from supermarket bashes, the second one in exactly the same place, a few days after I'd got the car back from the first wheel arch repair.

Your scratches sound a bit odd though - could some bits of grit etc have got trapped under there and then flown out? The spontaneous increase in pressure theory is intriguing but probably unlikely, I think.😀

I do sympathise with your frustration with that particular car, but leaving your key unprotected will probably guarantee it won't get stolen!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Thanks Gary. It's not bad enough (hopefully) to trouble my insurance glass cover yet - I had a couple of chips repaired on my A3 which weren't a great success.

Probably brought it upon myself by thinking "Hey, I've had this car nearly 2 years and no screen chips yet"😀 It's done well by comparison to some I've had - by this stage my earlier A4 had 3 professional screen chip repairs, then a replacement screen. Not to mention an expensive body repair when a flying bolt took a chunk out of the screen pillar, plus 2 wheel arch repairs from supermarket bashes, the second one in exactly the same place, a few days after I'd got the car back from the first wheel arch repair.

Your scratches sound a bit odd though - could some bits of grit etc have got trapped under there and then flown out? The spontaneous increase in pressure theory is intriguing but probably unlikely, I think.😀

I do sympathise with your frustration with that particular car, but leaving your key unprotected will probably guarantee it won't get stolen!

I thought it must have been grit initially but the scratches are perfectly aligned, on both sets of wipers lol.

Not the end of the world eh.

I had a few chips  scratches on my A3 that I never bothered to get repaired, WBAC gave me a brilliant price (1K more than Audi lol) when it was 18 months old so I was glad I left them in the end.

I'm sure they're making these windscreens easier to chip / mark nowadays ... dang millennials 🙂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club