Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water in the boot! Fiesta Titanium 2009

DannyFunf

Hi all,

Hoping to find some answers here for a leaky boot. I bought my 2009 Titanium in the summer and just as the weather was starting to turn rainy I found the spare wheel well had a puddle in the bottom and the boot carpet was wet. After a bit of searching I found that inside there was a water trail from the rear lights, so cleaned up the light seals and siliconed them back on. No more light leaks. However there's still water slowly getting in somewhere making the boot carpet wet and now condensation all over the spare tire...

Any help on common parts that leak would be much appreciated!

Dan

After talking to a few people someone told me to check the bodywork where the rear panels meets the roof and there is a small seam that could be letting water in, photo attached. 

can anyone recommend a good waterproof sealer / filler that would suit filling this? 

EA5A8626-FE6C-4245-8107-BAC95A262EEB.jpeg

• Sad 1

So I didn’t find a suitable sealant off the shelf that sounds great, I took it to a bodywork garage and they confirmed that the leak was coming in where I suspected. I’ll be taking it to them to be properly sealed and painted rather than find some sub par sealant myself 

hopefully this is the only other place it’s leaking 

Most early Mk7's suffer from a leak in this area. It can also get in underneath the roof trims as it did on mine, Small cracks started to appear underneath them. I used a sealant that is used on guttering, never had issues since!

4 hours ago, Nick_T said:

Most early Mk7's suffer from a leak in this area. It can also get in underneath the roof trims as it did on mine, Small cracks started to appear underneath them. I used a sealant that is used on guttering, never had issues since!

That’s good to know, thanks Nick! If I still have issues I’ll look at the trim too

After reading and seeing the pic I think I'll check our fiesta just in case.

After a couple of weeks of checking my boot is completely dry!

The seams on the body panels I suspected were leaking (see photos in earlier post) I had this properly sealed at a body work garage. They did a great job in using a water hose to check for sure this was where water was getting in. it was entering the seam and going between the car body work and coming out in the corners on the boot. (See image)

However, when they tested again they said there was still water getting in somewhere else too. They took off the rear bumper and found that in the bodywork underneath, there were holes that should have rubber grommets in that were totally open to the elements. They sealed those up too and now everything is fine

So incase anyone has the same issues, for me I had to seal the rear lights, the bodywork seams just near the hinges of the boot and some holes in the body work under the bumper.

hope this helps others in future if the have the same issue 

9B091117-0AB4-4AFB-B871-FADC79A2D7A1.jpeg

RESULT - make a nice change to hear that someone has found a garage that knows what they are doing and did a good job :thumbup1:

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 9:21 AM, DannyFunf said:

After a couple of weeks of checking my boot is completely dry!

The seams on the body panels I suspected were leaking (see photos in earlier post) I had this properly sealed at a body work garage. They did a great job in using a water hose to check for sure this was where water was getting in. it was entering the seam and going between the car body work and coming out in the corners on the boot. (See image)

However, when they tested again they said there was still water getting in somewhere else too. They took off the rear bumper and found that in the bodywork underneath, there were holes that should have rubber grommets in that were totally open to the elements. They sealed those up too and now everything is fine

So incase anyone has the same issues, for me I had to seal the rear lights, the bodywork seams just near the hinges of the boot and some holes in the body work under the bumper.

hope this helps others in future if the have the same issue 

9B091117-0AB4-4AFB-B871-FADC79A2D7A1.jpeg

where were the holes which should have had grommits? is the problem solved as my fiesta 2012 also has leak in boot

Where were the holes which should have had grommits? is the problem solved, as my fiesta 2012 also has leak in boot

• 1 year later...

What sealant did people use for this please? I was going to buy the Gorilla 'All conditions'  sealant but realised I don't have the gun in order to apply it! Where the rear panels meet the roof as someone mentioned...i think I may possibly have the same issue but no idea what product to purchase! Please help 😊

Hi and welcome.

I have had Tiger Seal recommended to me by a professional car repairer and I have used it. But it's very very sticky (which is what I needed for my particular application - I wanted an adhesive more than a seal) so not the easiest stuff to apply neatly.   I hear good things about other Gorilla products all the time, so if they do a specific sealant product that might well be a better option, perhaps. 

A gun to apply any such product is readily available from any DIY outlet - about £5. And you'll use it over and over again, so well worth investing in.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will give it a try! My alarm has been going off constantly and I'm sure it's due to water ingress via the boot. Need to seal it up where ever I can I think and see if that works (may be clutching at straws) but Ford weren't sure about the alarm issue either. They want to put the car under a sprinkler system to see where the water is getting in which is going to set me back £250 that quite frankly I can't afford right now! 😕

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club