Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning box

Chris1239

Looking for some advice guys, currently got a focus 2.0liter tdci zetec s red edition 66 plate. Does anyone know of a good tuning box for this model? I've heard the engine is the same as the St diesel? So looking to get a safe increase in power etc. Any advice welcome cheers.

I have previously used TDI Tuning in Essex on my previous Skoda Fabia VRS and in the 40k miles I did zero problems or issues 

They now do a tuning box vehicle specific with bluetooth function to activate different maps to suit the driving situation via you're smartphone. I believe if you change vehicle you send the box back and they will update maps suited to you're new vehicle for a small fee. 

I will be looking at this for my vehicle once I'm out of warranty period 

I've heard of bluefin never tried it. What's the difference? 

Bluefin is a handset and upload the new map to car. I've had one on my focus 1.0 ecoboost for 5 years no problems. Now got one on order for my 2.0 tdci 150hp Mondeo Mk5 

Sounds like TDI tuning do a similar thing now then . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iantt said:

I think with this you still have the tuning box as a seperate item installed in your car, but can then select different settings using their app on your paired phone, rather than physically altering them on the box itself.

• Like 2

A tuning box tricks the ecu to give more boost and fuel flow pressure a Bluefin is a remap of the ecu you plug it into the obd port with handheld device Bluefin will be safer on the engine than tuning box plus you can re-install original map back when it comes to servicing etc with tuning box you can take it off if need be just a few plugs. Tuning boxes are pretty good these days can get apps to change settings now so no faffing under the bonnet plus they can be cheaper too. Guess it’s down to your choice of preference

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, Chris1239 said:

Looking for some advice guys, currently got a focus 2.0liter tdci zetec s red edition 66 plate. Does anyone know of a good tuning box for this model? I've heard the engine is the same as the St diesel? So looking to get a safe increase in power etc. Any advice welcome cheers.

The 140 HP, 150 HP and 163 HP versions of the 2.0 TDCI are technically identical. The 185 ST version of the 2.0 TDCI is not identical. There are lots of technical differences between the "regular" 2.0 TDCI and the "ST" 2.0 TDCI. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, iantt said:

Bluefin is a handset and upload the new map to car. I've had one on my focus 1.0 ecoboost for 5 years no problems. Now got one on order for my 2.0 tdci 150hp Mondeo Mk5 

very little difference....

1) bluefin (although claim otherwise) and a tuning box are much the same.  a cheap nasty bodge on.  they are all computer generated garbage where they wind up the turbo and chuck a bit of fuel in to the mix.   the results are a blob of extra go somewhere in the rev range (and the emissions go out the window)

2) a remap done correctly can give a better smoother more usefully shaped power curve and generally improve things a lot more than the method above and make the vehicle better to drive

the problem is nearly all affordable options are pretty much the same companies sharing a nasty algorithm derived bodge up of a map made by a gamer on a computer, no dyno work or post mod driving / refining is involved at all. 

I had a 335d that was pretty pathetic, I got its software updated by BMW and the change was phenomenal.  thinking the world could only get better I got a bluefin,  Note these have an already weak response to the throttle (yes big power 286 stock) but lethargic response always came in after the point you wanted it.... post bluefin it was much more wooly and nastier to drive.  They gave 2 more PC generated curves that just made it worse.... I went back to standard, at least the power and the throttle pedal had some relationship to each other on the stock BMW map

I just got a Brabus tuning box for a E class 3L v6 tractor on the cheap.  These are well regarded can be fitted by main dealer and preserves the warranty.  This one has a loom that goes to 6 engine sensors and then the box modifies signals... the original invoice was for £900, and new now go for £1700 quid.  I didn't expect it to be as good as option 2) above, but I expected it to be pretty good.  The reality is its a pile of trash.  What you need is a good curve that enables you to drive the car faster, not just more go.  What this does doesn't really help, the car is actually a lot harder to drive now...  throttle application needs much more judgement and not because its making more go, in fact that's the biggest let down, the gains are pathetic, but where it starts throwing in an extra 30bph and 50nm more torque is just off a closed throttle where I don't want it.   Imagine you're in town with some congestion, you ease open the throttle and its like your mate threw a brick on the pedal, but as the road opens up and you want to make good progress there's nothing left in the kitty.  It seems most people have no idea what they are doing

16 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The 140 HP, 150 HP and 163 HP versions of the 2.0 TDCI are technically identical. The 185 ST version of the 2.0 TDCI is not identical. There are lots of technical differences between the "regular" 2.0 TDCI and the "ST" 2.0 TDCI. 

That's interesting to note, I'd always assumed (wrongly) that the ST TDCi engine was mechanically the same as the "standard" engine.

• 2 months later...

Take a look a TDi-Tuning, had one of their CRDT4 self fit tuning boxes on my 2.0 TDCi Galaxy Titanium on a 2010 plate then on my S-Max Titanium Sport iAWD X-Pac on a 2016 plate, very good results and improved fuel economy, the boxes have advanced hugely over the last few years, I sent the one that was fitted to the S-Max back for a reprogram to fit my (new to me) Edge ST-Line 210 2018, they returned it fully programmed for the new car and with a new harness, takes 10 mins to fit, power up to 260, more pull and better fuel economy to boot.

Full instructions with photos provided, colour coded harnesses, may need a small flat bladed screw driver to help getting the connectors apart and some snips to cut the cable ties.

All previous vehicles passed MOT with the box fitted and it's trace less once removed (for warranty servicing etc.)

Would highly recommend, I did over 50k with it fitted to the Galaxy and over 30k in the S-Max, never had a problem.

bluetooth version now available as previously mentioned by Jay035, you can change to one of the 7 preset setting without having to lift the bonnet (Mine is the non bluetooth version and I leave it on setting 4 which is factory preset for max economy + power

Have fun

Anyone know the difference between the st Diesel engine and the normal 2ltr diesel?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club