Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo battery replacement

Gsi55

Hi

I've had to replace the stop start battery on my 2015 Mondeo.

The stop start only worked a few times after having the bms replaced by a Ford recall then not at all .

Finally last week Mondeo failed to start on a cold frosty morning but before that had no warning of possible battery failure on the dash info.

Bit of a performance to change the battery 

I tried looking on line etc about how to do it but it was sketchy to say the least.

Decided to go ahead myself.

I couldn't see how it would come out without removing the aircleaner box completely.The top came off with clips but the bottom wouldn't budge .

I managed to get the battery out with the bottom of the airbox still in situ,but the new battery would not go back in prompting me to think I'd bought the wrong one even though it look the same .

I was afraid I would break something but gave it a yank and it came out.

It was held by a locating pin on bottom and a rubber clip by the battery tray.All difficult to see with pipes and cables in the way.

Any way easy to slide in battery and replace the airbox once you know how to now.

Heater in car seems hotter now front screen heater and stop start is working perfectly now.

Seem s batteries on stop start have a shortish life compared to normal ones.

Anyway I've invested in a modern battery charger just to boost it every month or so in winter as I don't use the car every day.

Happy days ...(except for the mouse that decided to best under the plastic engine cover and bit off the insulation under it and other foam cover bits on the engine.)

Did you replace the battery with the same type? Efb battery for another efb or AGM battery for another AGM battery. The BMS now needs resetting so it knows a new battery has been fitted. 

It was Exide 110 EFB Car battery 75Ah start stop.

Doesn't mention any resetting of bms in handbook.But I'll try it.

(maintenance-free battery. It does not require additional water during service.
If the vehicle battery has a cover, make sure you correctly install it after cleaning or replacing the battery.
For longer, trouble-free operation, keep the top of the battery clean and dry and the battery cables tightly fastened to the battery terminals. If any corrosion is present on the battery or terminals, remove the cables from the terminals and clean with a wire brush. You can neutralize the acid with a solution of baking soda and water.
We recommend that you disconnect the negative battery cable terminal from the battery if you plan to store your vehicle for an extended period.
Note:  If you only disconnect the negative battery cable terminal, make sure it is isolated or placed away from the battery terminal to avoid unintended connection or arcing.
To maintain correct operation of the battery management system, if you add any electrical devices to your vehicle, do not connect the ground connection directly to the negative battery terminal. A connection at the negative battery terminal can cause inaccurate measurements of the battery condition and potential incorrect system operation.
Note:  If you add electrical accessories or components to your vehicle this may adversely affect battery performance, durability and the performance of other electrical systems on your vehicle.
If you replace the battery make sure it matches the electrical requirements of your vehicle.
If you disconnect or replace the battery and your vehicle has an automatic transmission, it must relearn its adaptive strategy. Because of this, the transmission may shift firmly when first driven. This is normal operation while the transmission fully updates its operation to optimum shift feel.
Remove and Reinstall the Battery
To disconnect or remove the battery, do the following:
  1. Apply the parking brake and switch the ignition off.
  1. Switch all electrical equipment off, for example lights and radio.
  1. Wait a minimum of two minutes before disconnecting the battery.
Note:  The engine management system has a power hold function and remains powered for a period of time after you switch the ignition off. This is to allow diagnostic and adaptive tables to be stored. Disconnecting the battery without waiting can cause damage not covered by the vehicle Warranty.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable terminal.
  1. Disconnect the positive battery cable terminal.
  1. Remove the battery securing clamp.
  1. Remove the battery.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Note:  Before reconnecting the battery, make sure the ignition remains switched off.
Note:  Make sure the battery cable terminals are fully tightened.

If you disconnect or replace the vehicle battery, you must reset the following features:

• Window bounce-back. See Power Windows - Vehicles With: One-Touch Open and Close Front Windows. 
  • Clock Settings.
  • Pre-set radio stations.)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club