Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5w20 is too thin - alternatives ?

TricaOpr

5w20 or... ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will you keep using 5w20 or change to other viscosity ?

• Yes, I'll keep using 5w20
    • No, I will change to...

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as you can see and I made an account just for this. To discuss with you about the oil that Ford approves for the the new engines (ecoboost) 5w20.

After a lot of researching mainly in german forums, based on oil analysis I noticed that the 5w20 with ford approval is too thin for this engines and wear values are high, considering fuel dilution which is normal on direct fuel injection engines, it is even more.

HTHS is already low on this oils (2.6) which is on the limit of where increased wear occurs. 3.0-3.5 would be ideal which is where 5w30 comes in.

Now you think why would Ford only approve an oil so thin that promotes wear on the engines at this level ? I myself don't know but from what I read, environmental goals, consumption and exhaust emissions (WLTP), fleets, they don't care about engine wear as long it passes the strict emissions tests and of course still lasts the 5 years warranty.

Now although in the picture the 5w40 is much better in terms of wear I would not use it on the 1.0 ecoboost mainly because it may be too thick. A 5w30 would be ideal (thicker but not too thick). First reason for the oil pump that is variable, 2nd the turbo lubrification and cooling because of the constant and higher rpm than "normal" turbos, 3rd LSPI (low speed pre-ignition)

One of the reasons LSPI occurs is the quantity of Calcium present in the oil.

The Ford Formula F 5w30 contains 3100 mg/kg while Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20 for example has 1700 mg/kg. 

Now the main point is to find a 5w30 that has an equal quantity or even lower of Calcium, and with other additives such as boron and molybdenum to prevent LSPI.

I myself have been using Motul SPECIFIC 948 B 5W-20 and now Castrol Magnatec Professional E 5W-20, next oil service will be at the dealer. I will probably start using a 5w30 after that, and do an oil analysis and see from there.

jpai8xib.png

Fairly sure 5w20 is recommended so ford can hit emissions targets, and so that start/stop when the engine is cold doesn't lead to oil starvation (thinner oil can move easier when cold) 

My local independent has been putting in 5w30 in mine for years without issue. I don't really use start stop though so only problem is killing polar bears as Clarkson would put it 

Me neither. Do you know the 5w30 they put has any ford approval ?

They just want to get that 1 or 2% extra of fuel saving to avoid fines and achieve the environmental goals. The engine will still last for several years atleast for the warranty time (I hope), but oil consumption and other issues will start to appear surely afterwards.  

For who changes car every year or so, that won't be an issue.

5 minutes ago, TricaOpr said:

Me neither. Do you know the 5w30 they put has any ford approval ?

They just want to get that 1 or 2% extra of fuel saving to avoid fines and achieve the environmental goals. The engine will still last for several years atleast for the warranty time (I hope), but oil consumption and other issues will start to appear surely afterwards.  

For who changes car every year or so, that won't be an issue.

Not ford approved as far as I'm aware, currently at 6.5 years old with zero engine issues (besides rust on turbo pipe, unrelated). 5w30 been in use for 3-4 years. 

12 minutes ago, jbell said:

Not ford approved as far as I'm aware, currently at 6.5 years old with zero engine issues (besides rust on turbo pipe, unrelated). 5w30 been in use for 3-4 years. 

Interesting.

I see your fiesta is remapped, mine is too with bluefin. Do you have oil comsuption ?

Here's another analysis. From a 1.5 ecoboost ST. Values decreased after 2nd oil change but still high especially copper, present on bearings. 

spacer.png

I had a 1 year (first) service for my 125 Ecoboost last year and a Ford main dealer used 5w30 its due another soon so i'll see what they use this time.

36 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

I had a 1 year (first) service for my 125 Ecoboost last year and a Ford main dealer used 5w30 its due another soon so i'll see what they use this time.

That's what I don't understand, if only 5w20 is recommended by ford, why are dealers using 5w30 ? Maybe there is no problem in actually using 5w30 or they just don't care and use the same oil type for all cars for costs saving. 🙄

And it would be nice if who voted actually gave his opinion about the subject not just "yes".  😕

10 hours ago, TricaOpr said:

Interesting.

I see your fiesta is remapped, mine is too with bluefin. Do you have oil comsuption ?

Here's another analysis. From a 1.5 ecoboost ST. Values decreased after 2nd oil change but still high especially copper, present on bearings. 

spacer.png

Not noticed any so far

I think hundreds of hours went into engine development in order to select a specific oil viscosity by Ford. Based on this, I would agree that the correct viscosity is the one that the engineers selected for a desired product. I would only use the oil that is specified for my engine and would not bother with trying anything other than that.

The oil from Castrol or Motul has such high quality standards that i really doubt any issue could be found by using it.

Also, I tend to trust Ford engineering team over any forum. Just my 0.5.

Greetings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

here in Egypt the dealer uses motorcraft 5w-20 oil according to ford specs wss-m2c945b1 , they confirm that this is what specified by ford that just suits the climate in Egypt, however they recommend changing the oil every 10k km or one year whatever comes first ( again they told me that these intervals are specified by ford for my country )

it should be noted also that after 10k km of use, the oil color is very dark brown.

3 hours ago, Eliterox said:

I think hundreds of hours went into engine development in order to select a specific oil viscosity by Ford. Based on this, I would agree that the correct viscosity is the one that the engineers selected for a desired product. I would only use the oil that is specified for my engine and would not bother with trying anything other than that.

The oil from Castrol or Motul has such high quality standards that i really doubt any issue could be found by using it.

Also, I tend to trust Ford engineering team over any forum. Just my 0.5.

Greetings.

That is exactly the correct answer! The oil has to do so much more than just lubricate the bearings. Best left exactly as the engine designer specified as per your owner's manual.

• Thanks 1

If you are concerned about LSPI, look for Dexos 1 Gen 2 / API SN+ oils.

I currently use this in my 2016 ST, https://www.ravenol-direct.uk/ravenol-dxg-5w-30.html

My Ford dealer in Thailand routinely uses the Ford spec 5W-30 as it is 1/2 the price. According to them the warranty is maintained as it is the alternate oil specified in the manuals (user and service). Of note is that it is always hot here and there are no stop/start equipped 1.0 Fiestas. 

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I own a Brasil made 2017 ford fiesta, 1.6L sigma engine. The owners manual recommends 5w30 oil (WSS-M2C-913D). oil changes every 10.000 kilometers according to the manual. 

There's no eco boost engine version available in my market. 

Greetings from Uruguay.

I think that the Ford engineers probably know best so I stick with the recommended oil.   Have done with 4 Fiestas and never had a problem.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:18 AM, Eliterox said:

Also, I tend to trust Ford engineering team over any forum.

Spot on 👍👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club