Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

No claims question

Grant2020

Hello, 

I have recently insured my car and to my knowledge I had no claims that I hadn't used for about a year and a half.

On review of that I've just found out that it's been 2years and 2 months since I've driven. Ouvbously iv lost them now right?

Is there any chance that the insurer would still except?

Cheers.

Depends on the insurance Co's terms, if your no claims were not protected then that could be the reason you lost it, if you have continued to insure your car in the time you have not driven there should be no reason for them to discontinue the no claims unless you have made a claim within the last 5 years or whatever their time period is. I think your best answer would come from asking your insurance Co the question why. 

Generally insurers don't accept no claims bonus' that are more than 2 years old.

I know people that have gotten work vans for a few years and had to get a car again to discover they've lost 10+ years of NCD.

As far as I know you build your no claims discount year on year which after a certain amount of time insuring with the same Company gives you a discount on your annual premium providing you do not make any claims and that discount is a percentage of your premium. When you have built up your no claims after a certain period of time, usually 5 years, it becomes protected and this protected status remains providing you don't have any more than a specified number of claims in any one year, my insurance no claims discount at present is at 66% protected and I am afforded up to 5 claims in any one year before that is affected. You will probably not see the benefit of a no claims discount reducing your premium as your premium charges usually increases every year, the only time you will see the benefit is if you need to make a claim, being protected, the claim will not affect your next years premium, some Companies will if you make a claim hike your premium quite significantly.

Hi.

Just to let you know we have a number of insurance schemes that can accept no claims bonus that over the normal two years old.

Regards,

Dan.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:37 AM, Milkman said:

As far as I know you build your no claims discount year on year which after a certain amount of time insuring with the same Company gives you a discount on your annual premium providing you do not make any claims and that discount is a percentage of your premium. When you have built up your no claims after a certain period of time, usually 5 years, it becomes protected and this protected status remains providing you don't have any more than a specified number of claims in any one year, my insurance no claims discount at present is at 66% protected and I am afforded up to 5 claims in any one year before that is affected. You will probably not see the benefit of a no claims discount reducing your premium as your premium charges usually increases every year, the only time you will see the benefit is if you need to make a claim, being protected, the claim will not affect your next years premium, some Companies will if you make a claim hike your premium quite significantly.

That's all well and good, but if you dont insure a car for 2 years then most insurance companies wont honour any type of NCD, protected or not.

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

but if you dont insure a car for 2 years then most insurance companies wont honour any type of NCD, protected or not.

Yes, that's generally been my experience. My Mrs has been driving claim free for well over 30 years, but gave her car up for a few years. When she wanted to get another, she was back to square 1 on NCD, but as a (ahem!) "mature driver" it wasn't too bad tbh. I lost mine when I had a company car but when I left, my employer organised a letter showing my claim free record while driving company vehicles, which did help.

Some friends of ours were wise enough to alternate the policyholder while they only had one car - him one year, her the next - so they both kept their NCD. They're now back on a car each, both with full NCD.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club