Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine won't turn off when stop button pressed mk3 focus

HurstWorldProblems

Hi everyone, I am having a really odd issue with my focus I hope someone can maybe shed some light on. I have a diesel mk3 focus with start/stop and keyless ignition 

Since December the car has had a drained battery and has had to be jump started to get going. Something slowly draining it as it kept happening. When I went to turn off the car the dashboard would all turn off correctly but the engine remains running. Weirdly opening the drivers door causes the engine to cut out so that's the method I've been using

This week I replaced the battery hoping that could maybe make some difference and now the car starts fine but still refuses to turn off properly. Because it's such a weird problem before I take it into a garage I was going to try and do some research into what it could possibly be. It sounds like one of those issues that could be anything from a five quid relay replacement to thousands spent trying to find the issue to no avail 

Has anyone seen or heard anything like this before?

Thanks

Not turning off could be the fuel pump relay is sticking on. I think it is relay no 13 located in the fuse box.

Possibly relevant to this I hope is that I discovered today there is a very high pitched whine coming from near the engine even after the car has been turned off for a long time. I cannot easily tell exactly where the noise is coming from, but when I remove fuse 23 the whine immediately stops 

I've tried pulling out relay 23 as well but the noise doesn't stop when this is removed. Assuming the noise is related to the battery drain it seems like it must be something else. Fuse 23 is marked as the relay coils though so must be something around there

I dont have a detailed cct diag. But f23 supplies power to the ignition relay and this turns on the pcm powertrain control module relay which is in a junction box. One of these relays must be sticking on. Could be the ignition relay is sticking on and not turning the power off to the pcm.

Thanks for the help so far

I pulled out relay 14, engine control relay and the noise immediately stopped too so next step seems to be to replace that

Stupidly I thought relays would be as simple to buy as fuses but I'm having a nightmare trying to sort a new one that's the same. Model number printed on it is BU5T-14B192-AA. The only ones I seem to he able to find are on eBay from Hong Kong and would rather not have to wait that long for postage if I can help it. Was hoping somewhere like Halfords or euro car parts would have them but it seems not

Hopefully that will fix it.

You could use the Halfords on in its place.

Code 180203 type hef560 12v 40A at £8

It has the same pin and current specs

• 1 year later...

Hi mate any tips I am having the same issue with the battery drainage garage charged me for new alternator and battery but I still get the issue with engine not cutting out now and again until I open drivers door it's 2014 ford focus 1.6 diesel. Did you find a solution.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Going to look at a focus with the same fault in the coming days, will write the findings here 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, is there any update?

I got the same issues. It all started with de battery draining overnight.

After this happend i bought a clamp amp meter and having now 500mA of constant current when the car is locked and off for 5 min.

As today the motor wont  turn off 1 out of 4 times when i turn the key 1 click back, bij 2 clicks back it will always turn off.

Also sometimes when the motor is starting i get a high pitch of sound and the motor wont start, this also appears sometimes and sometimes i have no problem

- No related error codes, just the active grill wont shut (I know the problem with that, the plastic arm get himself disconnected after clicking it back)

- Have checked all relais on a 12V supply, and a multi meter multiple times and all relais working fine.

I hope someone have an idea where to look at

• 2 months later...

I’ve had the same issue paid £ 1500 to have it fixed at a garage and it’s back again ☹️ no clue what to do now

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club