Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cylinder deactivation vibration

Gary Cash

@Zeebthe reason why it's not an issue in the autos is because the engines are fitted with a balance shaft. 

For some reason only some engines are affected. When the affected engines do vibrate during CD they are bad. I've experienced 3 now with no fix. Still no info from Ford on what to do about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

@Zeebthe reason why it's not an issue in the autos is because the engines are fitted with a balance shaft. 

For some reason only some engines are affected. When the affected engines do vibrate during CD they are bad. I've experienced 3 now with no fix. Still no info from Ford on what to do about it

Very interesting that there's no balance shaft on manuals and you've seen a pattern but it only affects some manuals.

But I quoted 3 examples above of a possibly related issue on some automatics - one on a 1.0L auto and two on 1.5L autos. Could this be a separate issue for the autos but also related to cylinder deactivation?

Maybe the balance shaft is only a partial solution and there's a separate problem balancing or programming 2-cylinder operation on some cars.

Sport Mode seems to be a workaround, maybe because all cylinders are kept activated at lower RPM in higher gears.

It's a possibility that all the shaft is doing is making the issue slightly better. I've not experienced it on an auto so can not comment. If sport mode is switched on and the vibration stops I'd 100% suspect it's CD causing the issue. 

I have had a few other issues with the ecoboosts, usually contaminated spark plugs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

If sport mode is switched on and the vibration stops I'd 100% suspect it's CD causing the issue.

I see, thanks.

4 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

I have had a few other issues with the ecoboosts, usually contaminated spark plugs

Did you see a pattern that the contaminated plugs were worse on either the deactivated or the permanent cylinders? Or another pattern, like those cars not having the scheduled oil changes?

And one more q please: would you say apart from these issues, the SA Focuses are looking well-made and reliable? Thanks.

Generally all 3 plugs are quite equal and this due to short journeys and the car not being revved up very high (super economical driving). After the car is driven at over 3-4k RPM for a while it clears them up. 

So far the SA engines have been pretty good, get the odd one needing an O2 sensor every now and again but that's about it.

The early build 1.5s have had a few piston ring issues but it's a tiny number of engines affected <1%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, steve67 said:

i have the 2019 active x and have not felt any vibration?

im just hearing a knocking noise at tickover and the thrum seems very loud..

Don't know if cylinder deactivation happens at idle - wouldn't think so on a cold engine anyway. btw I just looked up 'tick over' and it's a UK expression for idling in neutral (makes sense). Never heard that in Australia, I thought you might have meant cranking the starter motor 😄

14 hours ago, steve67 said:

the ford salesman must have forgoitten to tell me..  😏

Not a selling point for most people. But most people don't seem to have problems with it and for those that do, hopefully there's a solution (besides Sport Mode). I'm dreaming that if they cancel CD on new Focuses, they'll put an option in a new firmware to turn it off, or at least let dealers turn it off on problem cars.

Looks like the car companies rushed too much to put in stuff like cylinder deactivation, DCTs and CVTs, start-stop, direct injection. All worthwhile developments, but maybe they should have left them for special applications or performance cars, and put the money into getting hybrids out faster like Toyota did.

eg the Focus was quite popular in Australia until the Powershift DCT, and has had very low sales since. But for me it's the best option after a lot of research (handling, performance, reliability, rear legroom, looks) and I've never had a Ford before so I'm not biased.

1 hour ago, MasterTechTip said:

Generally all 3 plugs are quite equal and this due to short journeys and the car not being revved up very high (super economical driving). After the car is driven at over 3-4k RPM for a while it clears them up. 

So far the SA engines have been pretty good, get the odd one needing an O2 sensor every now and again but that's about it.

The early build 1.5s have had a few piston ring issues but it's a tiny number of engines affected <1%.

Ah the Italian tune-up. All great information, cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same for me, just bought a focus active sw 1.0 ecoboost, driving in eco /normal mode starts vibrating when slightly release the gas pedal, quite annoying 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:24 AM, Paolo84 said:

Same for me, just bought a focus active sw 1.0 ecoboost, driving in eco /normal mode starts vibrating when slightly release the gas pedal, quite annoying 

Some more discussion on cylinder deactivation on the 2nd page of this thread:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/126532-oil-overfilled-on-brand-new-2021-focus-15l-turbo-12-15mm-above-max/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum just brought a 1.0 125 mhev active vignale love the the car but have noticed the vibration on my car at motorway speed.Has anyone had this solved yet or is it something I have to live with.

Thanks for any replys 

12 hours ago, Paul R said:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum just brought a 1.0 125 mhev active vignale love the the car but have noticed the vibration on my car at motorway speed.Has anyone had this solved yet or is it something I have to live with.

Thanks for any replys 

Hi,

I was under the impression that cylinder deactivation has been switched off on MHEVs??

Can anyone confirm?

I have a 1.5 Auto (19 plate). All I notice is a slight 'thrum' between 50-65, depending on the road (flat, uphill, downhill...). Not an issue, just about noticable.

Could be what I'm noticing at around that speed it's a lot smother  than my 155 bhp puma I had before this.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I've just purchased a UK model Focus Wagon 1.0 125hp Ecoboost manual and thought I was imagining the "vibration" at motorway speeds.  I only use E5 fuel so definitely not ethanol-related. Same as everyone else on this post, only happens around 70mph especially in cruise and the live MPG is showing 70mpg upwards, which indicates a low load on engine thus cylinder being deactivated.  Changing to sports model sorts the issue so supports the theory of CD being the issue.

Highly annoying as the car is absolutely on point apart from this issue.  Did anyone get anywhere to finding a resolution ?

Thank you!

On 12/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, MustangV8 said:

Hi all,

I've just purchased a UK model Focus Wagon 1.0 125hp Ecoboost manual and thought I was imagining the "vibration" at motorway speeds.  I only use E5 fuel so definitely not ethanol-related. Same as everyone else on this post, only happens around 70mph especially in cruise and the live MPG is showing 70mpg upwards, which indicates a low load on engine thus cylinder being deactivated.  Changing to sports model sorts the issue so supports the theory of CD being the issue.

Highly annoying as the car is absolutely on point apart from this issue.  Did anyone get anywhere to finding a resolution ?

Thank you!

Hi mate, 

I had same issue,same engine 1.0 125hp. I took to warranty service, they told me problem is known, and updated engine software . Seems like problem was solved, but fuel consumption increased. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, MustangV8 said:

UK model Focus Wagon 1.0 125hp Ecoboost manual

are you saying your 3 cylinder 1.0 Ecoboost engine uses cylinder deactivation and runs on only 2 cylinders at 70 MPH ?

Ecoboost engine specifications and general information:-

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=131

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

are you saying your 3 cylinder 1.0 Ecoboost engine uses cylinder deactivation and runs on only 2 cylinders at 70 MPH ?

The 1.5 Ecoboost does, right up to either 4000 or 4500 rpm, I've checked it with live data logging. Might be the same for the 1.0, I don't know.

Interestingly on the 1.5, deactivation still works in Sports Mode and they don't seem to suffer from the vibration problems that the 1.0 does.

4 minutes ago, Tizer said:

The 1.5 Ecoboost does, right up to either 4000 or 4500 rpm

I can well believe the 1.5 can and does use cylinder deactivation, but I would have thought on the 1.0 it just wouldn't have the power.

Just found this bit of info:-

Ford's compact and powerful 1.0-litre EcoBoost will in early 2018 become the first three-cylinder engine in the world to feature cylinder deactivation. ... Combined with advanced solutions to counteract vibrations, cylinder deactivation will be imperceptible to drivers in terms of operation and engine performance.

Hi, I have a Ford Kuga mk3 with a 1.5 ecoboost 3cyl  150hp. Have it for one year now and did about 10.000 miles. Now suddenly, while driving in normal mode the car vibrations the same way as mentionned here. I never had this the first 10.000 miles... Changing to sportmode cancels de virbrations. Not sure what to do with it. Is very annoying.

27 minutes ago, Dirk T said:

Not sure what to do with it

The car is still under Ford manufactures warranty so take it back to the dealer. It's up to Ford to sort it out.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:07 PM, TumisLT said:

Hi mate, 

I had same issue,same engine 1.0 125hp. I took to warranty service, they told me problem is known, and updated engine software . Seems like problem was solved, but fuel consumption increased. 

I wonder if the "updated software" just turns off the cylinder deactivation hence the increase in fuel consumption.  That would be the quick and dirty fix.

10 minutes ago, MustangV8 said:

That would be the quick and dirty fix.

They're 'Ford' not VW 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

They're 'Ford' not VW 🤣

and that is why I would never buy a german car!  If german engineering is so amazing, why the need to cheat!  Rant over lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club