Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendation for robust suspension

Marineboy

Hi

I’ve just had one of my front springs break on me.  It’s 10 years old and has given up at 20K miles, so I guess it must be one of those corrosion/fatigue issues.  Does anyone know if it’s worth getting OEM shocks and springs rather than Monroe, Sachs, Bilstein etc.  I know the factory ford springs did an urban 50K miles before breaking.  I also know that with the Monroe shocks that were installed 5K ago I've just had MOT advice that they are weeping (so am I now).  I think the bust spring’s taken the shock out with it, so I’ll need to buy two new struts, i.e. shocks, springs, mounts etc.  Any Suggestions for some kit of quality that will last a while.

I’m even toying with going from 175/65/14 to 175/70/14 so the tyre takes up a bit of the impact off the suspension as the speed bumps seem to be killing me.  It won’t improve the handling but it goes round corners like a go-kart anyway, so I won’t be losing a lot (in my mind).

OK, I’ll put it another way, does anyone think it’s economically viable to buy genuine OEM ford shocks and springs rather than 3rd party ones?  Or, anyone know any speed bump proof parts…snigger😄

50 minutes ago, Marineboy said:

OK, I’ll put it another way, does anyone think it’s economically viable to buy genuine OEM ford shocks and springs rather than 3rd party ones? 

Nope.  If you had a sports model, it would be worth sticking with OE as aftermarkets don't produce the same variety of spring rates...so you could end up with a Zetec S at Titanium height...  

On a comfort model (guessing by the 14s!) I can't see it being worth it, as there's so much of a price difference.   Personally I'd stick with a better quality brand such as Sachs or Bilstein though...had a dodgy shock from Monroe myself!

• Thanks 1

Tom, thank you sir, perfect answer, exactly what I wanted to know.  Yes nice steel 14s that are harder to destroy and cheaper to replace when our great tax funded (or not) UK roads muller them.  Interesting about Monroe.  I wonder what their batting average is then.

• Like 1

This is a bit left field option but bare with me, maybe slow down for speed bumps

• Haha 1

You’re absolutely right from a practical standpoint. My borough were early adopters of these damned things.  When first installed they had lovely big white triangles painted on them to let you know where they were.  The paint has long since faded to nothing and therefore rendered them easy to miss, esp at dusk or covered with leaves, snow etc.  I do slow down for them, but admittedly, mostly only to avoid the damage.  It seems like road planners are oblivious to where it’s most advantageous for these things to be installed.  I’ve seen roads with no side turnings, hidden hazards, schools etc where the limit could easily be 40mph that have had speed bumps that will wreck you at 15MPH.  I’ve also seen really risky roads with concealed exits/entrances that are known black spots that have f@#k all measures to deal with the idiots who have no discrimination when it comes to exploring their car’s performance parameters.  Bumps are an OK solution, but administered by the bureaucratic, tone deaf clueless (yes, the road planners).  Whoops, sorry think I must have just ranted.  Lovely ST by the way.

• 1 month later...

Phew, I’ve been sweating it slightly, my bits arrived after 10 days from Autodoc.  I couldn’t see who else sold them so, aus Deutschland it was.  I read that they can be quite a random supplier but credit where it’s due, everything came and looked as it should.  All the part numbers on the boxes and parts matched, no substitutions and the boxes were sealed OK.  Sachs Shocks, springs, bearings and mounts.

Now, here’s the thing, there’s been a lot of coverage of springs failures and the only thing I can see as far as prevention goes for my Fiesta V (inc Fusion), is a mod/additional component that was introduced sometime after this model started as I understand it.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65358-fusion-front-spring-failure/

Well, I bought the spring saver part 1481540, a big pressed zinc washer formed for the spring to sit on top of, but then thought, hmm actually I’m not planning on using it on genuine Ford shocks and springs, as I’ve now bought Sachs.  However, the Sachs kit is what’s listed for this car.

The mod part is:

Insulator/Isolator

Ford No: 1 481 540

OEM No: 1516861

On Drawing as : 18180B

I’ve just offered up the isolator to the Sachs shock but it doesn’t look like it follows the contours of the shock’s lower spring cup that well.  I found a picture of a genuine Ford spring that is listed for my car and it does look like the isolator would fit more snugly to it (attached for comparison) so it’s got me wondering…

So the question is do I fit it or not?  Just wondering if anyone has been down this road and tried?  I’ve done some Googling but not much has come up for this scenario.  It just seems most people would rather resign themselves to bust springs than try a proof of concept test.  Any thoughts peeps?

Bits.jpg

Drawing - Shock - Isolator.png

Genuine Ford Shock.jpg

Isolator - Insulator.jpg

Shock and Iso-1.jpg

Shock and Iso-2.jpg

Shock and Iso-3.jpg

Shock-Iso-Spring-1.jpg

Shock-Iso-Spring-2.jpg

Shock-Iso-Spring-3.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have a 2015 mondeo estate 2l tdi. I made the mistake of having some Monroe dampers put on with the ford springs (20 thousand miles on the springs). 

It drives terribly.  It sways more, rebounds more, handles a lot less precisely.  I really don't like it.

I can only guess the shocks aren't strong enough to damp the spring rebound well enough.

Anyone else know anything about this sort of thing?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club