Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated Screen

MrRedman
聽Share

Hi guys am I correct in thinking the heated front screen won鈥檛 work if the battery is not fully charged like the stop /start feature聽

2013 ecoboost petrol聽

cheers聽

It鈥檚 not as sensitive as stop start. It will operate when stop start will not but yes if the battery is too low then the heated screens won鈥檛 work. It doesn鈥檛 need the battery to be fully charged though.聽

As Alex has said it's not as sensitive as Stop/Start, but if the state of charge is less than 70% the front screen will not operate.

Thanks guys聽

i thought it was broke but as I do around 40 miles a week it must be low charge 馃憤

on my older Mk2 you can feel and hear the car react to the button - it pulls major current - which seems odd if you see the small wires

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unofix said:

if the state of charge is less than 70% the front screen will not operate

Isn't this just utterly ridiculous? A vital safety feature disabled when surely the alternator must have the capacity to power it and still have some reserve to charge the battery. What are they thinking? :shocking:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mjt said:

when surely the alternator must have the capacity to power it

but just think of all those emissions it would cause. we have to save the dolphins @StephenFord has told me 馃ぃ and he got that information direct from a Tree Hugger 馃ぃ馃槀馃ぃ

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjt said:

Isn't this just utterly ridiculous? A vital safety feature disabled when surely the alternator must have the capacity to power it and still have some reserve to charge the battery. What are they thinking? :shocking:

It wouldn鈥檛 surprise me if the alternator can鈥檛 put out that much current at idle.聽

It鈥檚 also not a safety feature it鈥檚 a convenience feature. It鈥檚 not standard on all models. Before Fords patent ran out it wasn鈥檛 on any other make. You can just use the blowers it will take longer though.聽

I was also under the impression it looked at state of battery charge. But on my 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci which I had for 9 years on original battery the heated front screen never stopped working so it couldn鈥檛 be very sensitive to battery state on that car. I thought it might be more sensitive on a diesel due to glow plugs taking a lot of power also. I don鈥檛 know if the percentage of battery state of health is programmed differently on different models / years. 聽 聽Edit: actually thinking about this more maybe it鈥檚 different on cars with bms.聽

• Like 1

On later models all high draw equipment (stop/start, heated screen etc) will only work if the state of charge is high enough. However, the default is to have a target of 80% state of charge for the battery and after that the alternator free-wheels. The system also limits the amount of current available to charge the battery. This is all in the name of emissions as the alternator creates a drag when charging. The trouble is, the system then shuts off the high-draw equipment if the state of charge drops too low. The consequence is that in cold weather, or with short journeys, the state of charge never reaches the target and things stop working. My wife had an old Fiesta without this system and the heated screen worked perfectly in all weathers. My nice shiny modern S-Max refused to clear the front screen in the first frost it encountered. However, with Forscan, I have changed the Target State Of Charge from 80% to 90% and everything now works all the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It wouldn鈥檛 surprise me if the alternator can鈥檛 put out that much current at idle.

That shouldn't prevent it being re-enabled once the alternator reaches a speed where it can sustain it.

11 hours ago, alexp999 said:

It鈥檚 also not a safety feature it鈥檚 a convenience feature.聽 You can just use the blowers it will take longer though

I can't agree. The ability to rapidly clear the screen is an important additional safety feature.

5 hours ago, mjt said:

I can't agree. The ability to rapidly clear the screen is an important additional safety feature.

I think the other guy covered it, its a convenience feature.... you can stand in the cold, car locked, engine off, and get all the windows clean, then drive away

with global warming its 3 days a year you get ice on the screen, its not 7 months solid

2 hours ago, Botus said:

...with global warming its 3 days a year you get ice on the screen, its not 7 months solid

Ironic that, 'global warming', and we're complaining about an icy windscreen聽 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

Dunno about you but our screens are already frozen tonight, and were for the last 2 nights as well...I wish 3 days was all we had.聽 Heated screen is the main thing I miss from Ford's!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club