Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare key question

Ecosport2019

Hi peoples

We have a 2019 ecosport that came with 2 keys, 1 is a remote flip key, the other is a plain basic key with no remote.

The issue is my wifes ecosport car is always blocking me, i have the plain key on my keys and everytime i use that key the alarm will go off until i cycle the ignition.  This gets really annoying at 5.30am!

So getting a genuine ford remote flip key and programmed is pretty expensive in the current climate. 

I had a plan but not sure if it will work.

Plan A. Buy an aftermarket remote or a used key from eBay and see if i can try to just manually programme the remote locking only, using autodata's instructions of cycling ignition etc. I have no idea if this is possible and just ignor the PATS all together as all i want is a remote not a key.

Plan B. Can this spare plain key be opened up? Looks pretty sealed? If so can the transponder be remoted, added to an after marke flip key then just get the flip key cut and manually programme the remote?

Thanks for reading this in advance 

I always thought that if you get the ignition on within a few seconds (5?) the alarm didn't sound. Do you just need to be a bit quicker???

• Like 1

Haha, literally i get like 1 second, im super fast but just cant beat it!

2 hours ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Buy an aftermarket remote or a used key from ebay and see if i can try to just manually programme the remote locking only, using autodata's instructions of cycling ignition etc. I have no idea if this is possible and just ignor the PATS all together as all i want is a remote not a key.

That sounds a perfectly sensible idea to me. There is no link in normal use between PATS and the remote locking system. So there should be nothing at all to stop you unlocking the car with one key and using another (valid for PATS) key in the ignition. There are quite a few variants of the remote locking system, so make sure you get a compatible one. I assume instructions for reprogramming remote locking are still in the owners manual like they are for older cars like mine?

Also I suspect there is one link between PATS and the remote locking: A valid PATS key may have to be in the ignition while programming the central locking. But that should not be a problem, just ensure the main key (PATS valid) remains in the ignition while re-programming the remote locking. Usually all keys to be used must be re-programmed in one session for the remote locking.

The expensive and difficult bit has always been getting PATS programmed. The PATS capsule is buried in various places in the key, and is sometimes quite easy to locate and swap over, but it can be firmly molded into the plastic and be difficult to extract intact. So the 1st option sounds safest.

Did you have the car from new. It doesn't sound like a genuine spare key as my car came with two remote flip keys.

No, it has the ford logo on it. Its only the zetec not the titanium, maybe the trim spec means you get more. 

1 hour ago, Ecosport2019 said:

No, it has the ford logo on it. Its only the zetec not the titanium, maybe the trim spec means you get more. 

Yes I'm afraid that Ford will penny pinch at any opportunity and as far as I known only the Titanium and higher spec models get 'two' remote keys. Lesser mortals only get the one remote. 

Haha youve heard of only getting 1 remote and a plain key before then?

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Yes I'm afraid that Ford will penny pinch at any opportunity and as far as I known only the Titanium and higher spec models get 'two' remote keys. Lesser mortals only get the one remote. 

Yes, definitely. How Ford make the decisions as to who gets what, I've no idea. Perhaps it depends on the day of the week or the lunar cycle 🤣

At the moment Nissan are struggling to get remote keys (chip shortage) for their cars and have hundreds of finished cars waiting for keys !!

1 hour ago, Ecosport2019 said:

That was the standard even on Titanium for the Mk2.5 Focus back in 2008.  Ford presumably assumed their drivers would either be lonely or possessive I guess. :laugh: 

I am a bit surprised it's still the case on the EcoSport at 2019 though!  Keyless fobs are supplied in pairs.  (Or at least they were before chip shortages, I know some manufacturers are only supplying one currently).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club