Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8-speed automatic gearbox - cold running

Vlaga

Hi everyone,

From September this year I own a 2020 S-max Ecoblue (140kW) with 8 speed automatic gearbox (its classic automatic, not Powershift), currently at around 60kkm.

Last weeks when outside temperatures are bellow 5°C I notice very strange running of the gearbox for the first few km in the morning. It seems that torque converter is slipping heavily. In first gears this is not so noticeable, but when speed is over 50km/h it gets realy strange. Car gains speed realy slow and feeling is like you would drive CVT gearbox. 

I recorded a short clip of acceleration:

https://youtu.be/BYIIZNSpb-0

Is this a normal behaviour of this gearbox? Should I drive it to the mechanic or all owners of Fords with this type of transmition have the same "problem"?

4 hours ago, Vlaga said:

From September this year I own a 2020 S-max Ecoblue (140kW) with 8 speed automatic gearbox

Your profile says Focus 2010 and this is your first post since joining in March 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will you be back to check to see if there are any answers ?

2016.JPG

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Your profile says Focus 2010 and this is your first post since joining in March 2016 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will you be back to check to see if there are any answers ?

Sorry, I didn't update a profile since changing the car. Honestly, I forgot that there is data about the car type there. Thank you for your comment, now its updated.

I am reading the forum from time to time, but until now I didn't post anything. I hope this is not a problem?

• Like 1

Well now we know you are here, I'm sure you will probably get some help soon. 👍

It does look and sound unusual to me (from viewing the video).  I assume that it's under the Ford 3 yr warranty so I suggest taking it to your Ford dealer.

It's fine, it does it below a certain temperature to protect the internals when the fluid is cold.

It should not last more than 5 miles then return to normal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

It's fine, it does it below a certain temperature to protect the internals when the fluid is cold.

It should not last more than 5 miles then return to normal

Well, I have never come across that before! It would have worried me too if it was my car. Thanks for clarifying that. 👍🏽

It should mention it in the handbook, but it only occurs below 5 degrees I believe.

If you're unsure, see how it performs above 5 degrees, when cold, if you're not happy, you are over 45,000 miles now so think about replacing the fluid and maybe seeing if there is a software update for it.

But it seems fine to me, my 6F15 does exactly the same

At higher night temperatures it runs normal.

Thank you @DaveT70 for explanation!

I will replace the fluid in next month, I already have that on my plan.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club