Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic v manual gears

Ian Hobson

Unfortunately, I've found I don't like my new mild hybrid Fiesta's automatic gearbox.  It takes some of the skill out of driving, and therefore some of the pleasure.  Any comments?

• Sad 1

Well having just quickly checked out your other 2 posts, the best thing you can do is sell your Fiesta which are in huge demand at the moment and buy a 1970's Allegro that will test your driving skills to the full

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The easy answer is swap back to a manual.

However, there is a different sort of skill/pleasure involved in getting to know how to get the best from your auto box as opposed to just sitting back and sticking it in "drive". Also as you have mentioned in another post there are new skills to be acquired regarding the regen braking, which you would have to cope with in many new cars these days anyway, irrespective of gearbox.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unofix said:

Well having just quickly checked out your other 2 posts, the best thing you can do is sell your Fiesta which are in huge demand at the moment and buy a 1970's Allegro that will test your driving skills to the full

Allegro - nah, too safe. Try a small swing-axle Triumph (Herald or Spitfire) or better still a small swing-axle Fiat with the weight over the rear axle. Any one of these will give you good driving skills - if you survive ...

• Like 2

Still eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first ever automatic car after 40 years of manuals. I am sure there are plenty of ways of enjoying an automatic and am looking forward to not just sticking it in D.

• Like 1

at the risk of the sky falling on me Triumph 1500 Dolomite, seriously tail happy used to have to put some of my weight training gear in the boot tho a 3.0 Capri gave it a run for its money and NEVER use it on a slippy road. The only car i ever found a challenge.

16 hours ago, RMurphy195 said:

Allegro - nah, too safe. Try a small swing-axle Triumph (Herald or Spitfire) or better still a small swing-axle Fiat with the weight over the rear axle. Any one of these will give you good driving skills - if you survive ...

My triumph vitesse was a handful . Plenty of power from the straight 6 engine sliding it nicely on a damp roundabout or any bend really. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Lol looks like we're in danger of hijacking this thread and turning it into another nostalgia-fest!

Yup, I'm in no doubt that lots of cars from my past required more skills to drive, including double de-clutching (and skid control in some cases!), and I often arrived at my destination feeling quite exhilarated (or was that terrified?).

Can't go backwards I suppose (though I wish my "body clock" would!). I've never yet owned a 2 pedal car but driven quite a few over the years, and now looking for what might be my final ICE engined car am torn two ways. Do I stick with what I know? Or, having recently driven a couple of full hybrids, I can see the challenge of something different and figuring out how to get the best out of it. 

i tend to drive mine 1 footed, theres nowt wrong witha memory fest. TBF most questions have been asked and debated and answered, even the nostalgia can help some people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jimpster said:

i tend to drive mine 1 footed

Lol, I keep my left foot tucked well out of the way in a 2 pedal car, otherwise it does mischief by trying to depress the non-existent clutch pedal when coming to a halt.

I have a mate who rallied for years and is a master of left foot braking, so he uses both feet.

I suspect though, that Ian meant he can use one foot on one pedal (the accelerator) most of the time by relying on regen braking to slow the car?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, I keep my left foot tucked well out of the way in a 2 pedal car, otherwise it does mischief by trying to depress the non-existent clutch pedal when coming to a halt.

I have a mate who rallied for years and is a master of left foot braking, so he uses both feet.

I suspect though, that Ian meant he can use one foot on one pedal (the accelerator) most of the time by relying on regen braking to slow the car?

Yep. Regen does 90% of the braking via the throttle pedal . Only in quick stop I require  actual brake pedal usage. Adaptive cruise  does both  pedals for me in  traffic. Does make you lazy but I'm all for being lazy. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

My hybrid had paddles to adjust the amount of regen (5 settings) and my challenge to myself on every journey was  to avoid using the brakes unless coming to a complete standstill. Little things please little minds.....

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, alanfp said:

My hybrid had paddles to adjust the amount of regen (5 settings) and my challenge to myself on every journey was  to avoid using the brakes unless coming to a complete standstill. Little things please little minds.....

I've managed around 80 miles  without touching any  pedal.And no it wasn't on the back of a flat bed truck with a flat battery. 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club