Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P0016 p0017 ford fiesta 1.0 ecoboost petrol

shaun85

Hi all.

I've come to you guys for help and guidance.

My wife's 2014 fiesta ecoboost recently had the code p0016 and p0017 come up on the dinner as a fault.

I've changed the 2 camshaft position sensors. Cleared the codes but after a day they both come back on.

It's been to a garage and he advised to try and change the variable camshaft actuators . 2 of them.

She isn't driving it until its sorted but I thought I would come to you all for some help and advice.

So .....

Do I change the variable camshaft actuators?

Are they difficult to change?

Or could be something else.

Please help me

On the 1.0 EcoBoost the camshaft codes are usually caused by low oil pressure failing to engage the cam variators.  The low pressure is often caused by a clogged oil pump.  The clog is caused by degrading wetbelts.

Has this car had the wetbelts replaced yet?

Not as far as I know. She's only had the car a year I believe the belts are due next year. 

Is there anything u suggest before going down the expensive route of cam belt change.

5 minutes ago, shaun85 said:

Not as far as I know. She's only had the car a year I believe the belts are due next year. 

Is there anything u suggest before going down the expensive route of cam belt change.

They are recommended at 10 years but we see a lot degrade long before that on here.  Low mileage use, incorrect oil or oil flushes all contribute to the degradation as well.

I'd recommend checking the oil pump or belt one way or another before spending any more money.  I definitely wouldn't risk a new pair of cam variators on a 1.0EB of this age personally.

Those codes can relate to timing too, be very careful, on top of what Tom said, that the belt hasn't lost teeth and slipped.

It's weird because the car still drives fine . Not knocks bangs or ticking noises at all.

But until I have a deffo answer I've told her not to use it. 

So the only things I have seen on here for these codes are the following.

Change crankshaft sensor

Clean out the variable valves with mass air flow cleaner

oil change and oil flush

Would any of these help?

17 minutes ago, shaun85 said:

and oil flush

That would certainly put an end to your problems !!!!!

Never ever use any kind of oil flush on an Ecoboost engine with wetbelts. It will cause them to disintegrate.

On a 2014 engine I'd change the wetbelts now and get the oil pump and oil pick-up strainer cleaned or replaced at the same time. Remember that 10 years is the Maximum recommended age not that you have to wait until it is 10.

Use only the exact Ford specification oil. Do not use any other spec. oil.

oil.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Never ever use any kind of oil flush on an Ecoboost engine with wetbelts. It will cause them to disintegrate.

Just out of curisoity do you know how fast of an effect an engine flush has on the belt. Does it instanstly start disintergrating it or it sit a slow process over 10s thousands miles

25 minutes ago, Pigeon12 said:

Just out of curiosity do you know how fast of an effect an engine flush has on the belt. Does it instantly start disintegrating it or it sit a slow process over 10s thousands miles

To be totally honest I don't have any figures that I can refer to. I expect it will take at least a couple of thousand miles for the process to become significant. Also of course the length of time and the type of driving cycle the engine is put through will affect the rate that the wetbelts deteriorate.

• Like 1

Ah ok thats fine. If its a slow process I didnt think an oil flush would make much difference if the oil is changed afterwardsas I assume this would wash it out unless it sticks to the belt or mabye kick starts the degredation sort of thing.

2 minutes ago, Pigeon12 said:

unless it sticks to the belt or mabye kick starts the degredation sort of thing.

From what I've seen mentioned by various organisations, the oil flush contains solvents that react with the material that the belts are made from. I guess (but don't know) that the chemicals cause the belts to be come less flexible which in turn causes the synthetic rubber to start and break up.  

• Like 1

Step 1: Find a reliable garage that are experienced with 1.0 ecoboost engines. Avoid those suggesting engine flush!

Step 2: Remove the sump and check the oil strainer and the sump itself for debris and eventually belt teethes. If present:

Step 3: Change both wet belts, clean the oil strainer or change the oil pump, change the oil according to Ford recommendations!

Hope this will help! Good luck!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club