Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 1.5 tdci engine rattle at low revs - any ideas?

JohnnyHo

Hi all, recently acquired a 1.5 tdci Grand C-Max automatic on a 2018 plate.  Engine seems to run fine (47k miles) but there is an irregular feint rattle at idle revs when the engine is warm.  Can't really hear anything wrong outside of the car and most of the time with fan on and radio at a normal volume can't hear it inside unless you are trying to hear it.  However, it is quite obvious from inside the car with fan/radio off when revs fall as coming to a stop and at at idle (at around 750 rpm). Touch the accelerator and it goes (until revs fall again).  When at idle, sometimes it goes if switch from drive to neutral or to park or vice versa.  Sounds like something is loose and knocking against something or the engine is vibrating and knocking against something. Couple of garages have looked at it and can't find anything wrong (not taken the engine apart).  One said "no idea, bring it back when it gets worse".  Other allegedly inspected all external elements, belts etc. and did a battery reset/checked for any software updates.  Local Ford dealer wants loads of money to start taking the engine apart.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and what the cause/outcome was.  Appreciate any suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Does it stop when you depress the clutch? Could it be the flywheel? 

Ah just re-read. It’s an auto. Could still be the flywheel-but I’m not sure how to confirm on an auto.

• 4 months later...

I have the exact same problem with by 2018 Focus, please tell me you have since managed to find a solution - it’s driving me mad !

10 hours ago, Mt26262 said:

I have the exact same problem with by 2018 Focus

Is your 1.5TDCi Focus a manual or automatic ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club