Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric power steering

mondeosteve

Does anyone have any experience of failure of the electric power steering rack in Mk5 Mondeos?

Mine failed suddenly on Christmas night. When I finally got a garage to look at it on Thursday, they told me it's a common problem, that it needs a whole new rack, that it would cost £2300 to fix and that the new steering rack is on back order with no indication of likely delivery time.

My Mondeo has only done 81000 miles, so I'm a bit surprised that such a major component should need to be replaced already, and a bit shocked at the suddenness with which it failed: no warning while I was driving at 60mph.

I'm told that the same steering rack is used in Focus's and Kugas.

There was a ford recall regarding the steering rack bolts. Maybe yours is one of them and could get it repaired free of charge? 

• Like 2

Its a very well known fault in the Mk5 Mondeo world

https://www.talkford.com/threads/steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla.394099/

https://www.talkford.com/threads/mondeo-mk5-steering-rack-replacement.408690/?post_id=3197714&nested_view=1#post-3197714

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/106780-mondeo-mk5-power-steering-major-failure/

The problem is not just related to MK5 Mondeo either - other manufacturers use same/similar design inc likes of RangeRover/LandRover and BMW

I don't think 2016 models (or onwards) were affected by the recall as the modifications/improvements should have been carried out by then on production - however, it does depend on the BUILD DATE and NOT the Date of Registration.

If a dealer will not help you could contact the CEO by e mail - worth a go?

Ms Lisa Brankin

• Like 2

These type of racks need "programming" to the relevant vehicle.

Some info is in this thread https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/127062-steering-rack-change-do-i-need-it-programmed/

If you purchase a unit from Western Power Bristol it looks like they program the unit to the purchasers veh - contact them for verification.

https://shop.westernpowersteering.co.uk/ Not a bad price at around £500 exchange. I know they are miles away from you but you could also phone them for advice.

Google is your friend - I would expect that there must be other companies that do programming within reasonable distance from you.

What you don't want to do is buy a non programmed unit and find no one will program it - I doubt a Ford dealer would program a non genuine unit

It would of course be best if, in the circumstances, Ford would help but doubt that will happen, unless you get the CEO involved.

Please let us know how you go on

Pm me your vin and I can check if the recall is relevant to your car. The recall  is 20bo2 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the PAS bolts changed by Guildford Ford Dealer on my 2015 Mondeo in November and that broke the steering rack which they said they would replace under warranty.  That was 13 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to be fixed.  Ford Customer services were rubbish and contacting EXECOFF1@ford.com via lbranki1@ford.com didn't help.  I just get a copy and paste "..we don't know when we will have parts..we will let you know.."  The dealer gave me a car for 3 weeks but then asked for it back.  After lots of complaints to Ford Customer services I did get a hire car after 6 weeks, a Vauxhall Corsa!

1 hour ago, FordNoMore said:

I did get a hire car after 6 weeks, a Vauxhall Corsa!

That's punishment for complaining too much 🤣

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

This has just happened to me in my 2016 plate.

It's been recovered to the local ford dealer but no-one can find the part. Any advice welcome and if the 16 plate would have had a recall too?

I assume you mean that Ford cannot supply a replacement rack unit.

I am pretty certain your veh would not be included in the recall that took place as it was earlier produced vehs that had the problem.

However a Ford dealer will have access to the Ford system to advise if your vehicle was included in the recall (it depends on the veh built date, NOT the date of registration). A Ford dealer will also know that if it was within the recall range if the recall work was done. Some vehs do slip thru the net.

If your Ford dealer cannot supply a replacement unit you could e mail the CEO of Ford as parts have to be available for a certain number of years.

The CEO is Ms L Brankin and her e mail is  Lisa.Brankin@ford.com

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-8960&c=Ford UK-Managing Director

Ifyour veh is outside of the recall program, which it probably is, it is also now too old to qualify for any warranty but in view of the history on this fault you could ask Lisa for some "goodwill" (pigs might fly)

If you go down the route of sourcing a part from a non Ford dealer be aware of my comments in my post December 31st above, as these racks need programming to the veh.

I know it's of no help to you but be aware this is/was not just a Ford problem as similar designed units were also fitted to the likes of BMW, Mini, Range Rover Land Rover to name but a few

5 hours ago, GRoss said:

This has just happened to me in my 2016 plate.

It's been recovered to the local ford dealer but no-one can find the part. Any advice welcome and if the 16 plate would have had a recall too?

Pm me your reg and I can check if there's a recall for yours. 

• Like 1

I really miss Ford ETIS

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club