Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera when not in reverse?

Kenny321

Is there a way of viewing the reversing camera when NOT in reverse gear? I often want a look behind when I am parking up as it shows how close to the kerb I am while going forwards.

I am sure that if you were to short out the existing switch, it would come on but I suspect that if the car's sensors start to detect it is going forwards, You may find it throwing a cyber hissy fit. I would try the following experiment: Stop the car on a downhill slope. Select reverse, and let it roll forwards with the clutch down. If it doesn't get upset then you could put a switch across the existing one for when you need it but be aware that it will activate the reversing light and that will be unavoidable 

Thanks Brenda, I was rather hoping someone knew of a ‘hidden feature’ to turn it on through the Sync 3 screen. I take your point about the reversing light, the camera may be hardwired to this, unless you know of such a switch somewhere?

No, it most definitely is not hardwired to the reversing light switch. It is, as you correctly worked out controlled by a digital signal (LIN BUS if you are interested,) from the Sync 3 system. I am fairly certain that the reversing light switch interrupts the sync 3 program   to take over the screen and it is a unique case. Now a very good hacker with a logic analyser,  a lot of experience and no social life could  intercept the "turn camera on" signal from the Sync 3 module but although that would turn the camera on, it could not tell Sync to accept the camera signal  so you're stuffed that way, too.  My driving instructor used matchsticks in the  rear window rubber as visual cues to teach reversing. A small dot sticker on the windscreen between your natural line of sight and the kerb, somewhere on the windscreen would help you position the car without recourse to braille.

• Like 1

I'm sure, I could be wrong, you can configure length of delay switching off with FORScan.

Like over a certain speed and/or time from engaging D or coming out of reverse.

You may be able to program a 20 second delay which should help you

• Like 2

Yes, that's a point. I'm sure that you can. Thanks Dave.

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

I could be wrong, you can configure length of delay switching off with FORScan.

Like over a certain speed and/or time from engaging D or coming out of reverse.

Yes you're correct Dave. With the Sync3 system you can turn the delay on and off in the screen settings menu. It is factory set at 10 seconds if you choose to have the delay switched on. As you have said there is an option using FORScan to change the delay time.

• Like 1

OK......tell me about FORScan please.... I am not adverse to a bit of hacking... and the the 'screen settings menu'....not sure if I have ever seen such an option to turn off the delay and have been through all of the menu items. Is it hidden under some title designed to throw one off the scent maybe...?

Many thanks. I found the camera delay was already turned on. I tried turning it off, then on again, but there is NO delay. As soon as I take it out of reverse, the picture goes immediately. hmmm…..

As for the Forscan, Can’t see me buying the kit if I don’t see the 10 second default setting in action. Thanks for the links, I will read up on it a bit.

5 minutes ago, Kenny321 said:

As soon as I take it out of reverse, the picture goes immediately.

Is yours a factory fitted camera or an after market retro fit ?

Factory fitted.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club