Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 Kuga 1.5 oil spec

nivek24

Morning, my son bought this 2021  Kuga 1.5 ecoboost and was told by the Ford garage he bought it from that it needed oil changing every 2years with 0 -20w oil.

We have just done a service on it at 31k and the oil was really black.

Put new oil in Magnetic 0-20w and is black again straight away.

Can the  oil grade be changed to a lower spec and changed every 12months , i think the 2years sevice life of the oil is a bit too long.

I have an old Mondeo 2Lr diesel and change the oil every 6 months regardless  of mileage, it never  gets black and thick like the 0-20 was, 

thanks

Kev

I would only use recommended oil, change at the recommended time or sooner

• Like 1

ok thanks Dave.

2 yrs or 18k is the recommended service intervals or sooner if the vehicle or app flags it up. No harm in doing it more often but stick to the correct oil and no use of flushing oil (wet belt oil pump drive)

Are you sure it's a 1.5 EcoBoost?  Not a 1.5 diesel?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you sure it's a 1.5 EcoBoost?  Not a 1.5 diesel?

That would explain the instant colour change.

37 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

That would explain the instant colour change.

And the 0-20 spec.  I'm fairly sure the petrol spec was 5-20.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, 5-20 for the petrol,  for the diesel the manual says:

Materials

Name Specification
Ford-Castrol Magnatec WSS-M2C952-A1

Which is:

• Thanks 1

Yes, it is a Diesel,

Is this the dry cambelt and wet oil pump belt then.

I thought these had problems ?

On 2/8/2024 at 11:45 AM, nivek24 said:

my son bought this 2021  Kuga 1.5 ecoboost

Petrol engines with a turbo are Ecoboost

Diesel engines with a turbo are Ecoblue.

1 hour ago, nivek24 said:

Yes, it is a Diesel,

Is this the dry cambelt and wet oil pump belt then.

I thought these had problems ?

That'll be a 1.5 EcoBlue then.  0w20 oil and 2 yearly or 18k mile services.

No wetbelt at all on these.  oil pump is driven directly from from the crankshaft.  Dry cambelt interval is 10 years or 120k miles.

Diesel oil always goes black.  But 2 years is generally too long for oil in this engine.  It uses an intelligent oil quality sensor that should detect when the oil actually needs changing.  Make sure that has been reset correctly after the oil change.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 7:49 PM, TomsFocus said:

That'll be a 1.5 EcoBlue then.  0w20 oil and 2 yearly or 18k mile services.

Focus with the 1.5 Ecoblue is 12 months 10,000 ,miles, has something changed?

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Focus with the 1.5 Ecoblue is 12 months 10,000 ,miles, has something changed?

When they introduced Adblue in 2020 the interval changed from 12m/10k to 24m/18k.

Adblue means less EGR use.  Less EGR use means less soot in the DPF.  Less soot in the DPF means fewer regens.  Fewer regens means less oil degradation.  That's the theory anyway...

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 2:59 PM, TomsFocus said:

My 1.5 180 Kuga AWD Automatic has the oil cap 5w-20 but i only have the oil belt as a wet belt. However i believe that its so 'watery' for a turbo engine, i would prefer the 5w-30 oil for more protection..

On 2/8/2024 at 11:45 AM, nivek24 said:

Morning, my son bought this 2021  Kuga 1.5 ecoboost and was told by the Ford garage he bought it from that it needed oil changing every 2years with 0 -20w oil.

We have just done a service on it at 31k and the oil was really black.

Put new oil in Magnetic 0-20w and is black again straight away.

Can the  oil grade be changed to a lower spec and changed every 12months , i think the 2years sevice life of the oil is a bit too long.

I have an old Mondeo 2Lr diesel and change the oil every 6 months regardless  of mileage, it never  gets black and thick like the 0-20 was, 

thanks

Kev

Re oil being changed every two years! wow years ago servicing was done every 9,000 on average, but even fresh oil get black and 'watery' after a few months, Can Castrol really say that their oil is still at Spec and protecting an engine past 24 months??

1 hour ago, Emeraldgreen652 said:

My 1.5 180 Kuga AWD Automatic has the oil cap 5w-20 but i only have the oil belt as a wet belt. However i believe that its so 'watery' for a turbo engine, i would prefer the 5w-30 oil for more protection..

Turbo bearings have become smaller over time.  The gap between the brass bush and the turbine shaft may not be large enough for 30 weight oil to penetrate effectively when warm.  I really wouldn't risk a thicker oil in an EcoBoost engine myself.

oil tech has come a long way since the 70's.  It's fully synthetic nowadays with various additives to prolong it's life.  Plus engine components are often coated with Teflon type material to reduce friction.  

Servicing is designed as a compromise between excessive cost, wasting resources and the realistic longevity of a vehicle/engine.  2 yearly servicing should see the engine last the expected 10-15 year life.  

10 hours ago, Emeraldgreen652 said:

However i believe that its so 'watery' for a turbo engine, i would prefer the 5w-30 oil for more protection..

Yes, Ford have no idea about what is required for the engines they design and test. You're better to just put in what every oil you think will be best. Just don't be surprised if the engine fails due to lubrication problems. 🤔

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club