Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Error code - p02e5:71-28 diesel intake air flow control stuc

abutters93

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a 2010 S-Max 2.2 TDCi with 120k on the clock. It has an intermittent issue where the engine will idle/run rough and there’s a diesel smell in the cabin. It also occasionally throws an engine malfunction light but not for long. The fuel economy seems to go down and most of the time switching the ignition off and on again resolves it. 

I’ve scanned it for codes and it came back with “p02e5:71-28 diesel intake air flow control stuck closed” has anyone come across this before? Does this mean the throttle valve is getting stuck? Or is it not working as expected?

Any help appreciated cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Same car/engine, with the same issues at 137k. 
only difference is my engine light stays on all the time. 
Did you manage to figure out what the fault was? 

Thanks. 

Hey Chris,

Yes - the plastic gears inside the throttle body had stripped. It’s quite a common issue on the 2.2, the throttle body is shared with various PSA/JLR models. 

I bought a replacement from GSF, part no. is PIE7.01002.09.0, replacing it is pretty straightforward. 

The other option is to search eBay for metal replacement gears; they’re quite a bit cheaper and will be a more durable fix, but from the reviews you’ll need to do some fettling to get them on and prising open the throttle body is a bit of a pain as it’s pressed on. I opted for the unit replacement as I couldn’t have the car down for too long. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Here’s the pictures of the stripped gears

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0810.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club