Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk3 wont go over 1500rpm, engine running rough

Olii

So I messed up. I put too much oil in and drove for around 25 minutes before breaking down on the dual carriageway. ‘engine malfunction service now’ was on the cluster and the car wouldn’t go over 1500rpm and was super lumpy. I noticed the oil light would flash on and off just before and during this malfunction. I got the code P000A:71-6C for ‘A’ Camshaft position slow response. ‘:71’ means the actuator is stuck. I cleared the codes and drained the oil.

Have I mangled the sensor? Or is this how it should be when there’s a major issue with the engine?

I took out the air filter to see if any oil was in there and it was clean.

I’ve drained the oil and refilled and am now getting the same issue. When draining the sump I didn’t see any bits of belt in there but that’s not to say it’s in the lines/filter or pump somewhere.

Then yesterday after draining the oil and trying again. It did the same thing but this time for B: P000B:71-6C ‘B’ Camshaft position slow response.

I’m stuck. Someone reversed into me last week (hit OSF and OSR doors)  and I need to get it to the body shop asap but there’s not really much point getting it done if the car wont run properly!

I’ve read online it’s going to be the wet belt but I’m certain it’s been done on this car so it might be something else? Any ideas or input will be appreciated. Planning on getting it back up and running (if even possible?) and selling it on asap.

From my information gathered it could be:

High pressure + too much oil damaged the VVT solenoid?
Both camshaft position sensors are damaged?
Damaged camshaft or other components due to high pressure?
Flooded spark plugs?

When I turn the engine over, the oil light will stay on. But I obviously don’t want to be running the engine anymore than it needs to.

• Sad 1

It doesn't sound very well, over over-filling can cause hydro-lock, or start it, the pressure could have damaged the belt due to the drag on the bottom end.

My only advice would be to strip the engine to check

The VVT warnings could be due to the head timing being out

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

lol wetbelt fml

get the engine oil level where it needs to be

high oil level can't influence oil pressure - but the descending pistons that pump just as much air beneath as the size of the engine - now landing in a bucket of oil can lead to far too much crankcase pressure and smashed up engines internals, with as already said hydraulic lock

the top end should stay normal - as the lube and oil pressure up there is normal no matter what - but if the catastrophe you created with a silly oil fill level causes camshaft timing problems, of course can mean you may have smashed the top end to bits as well...

what symptoms did it die with - did you see clouds of smoke as you drove... way before it cut out ?

you might just have some upset CAT sensors....  till it runs normal hard to say if the VVT errors are linked....

Are we talking about a 1.0 Ecoboost engine or something else?

By how much was the oil system overfilled

Damaging a camshaft solenoid or top-end? Highly unlikely.

If you're sure the cambelt has been replaced, are you so sure the oil pump belt was replaced at the same time?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club