Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aerial Replacement

cosmarchy
聽Share

Hi,

I have a 59 Plate Focus where the aerial has finally given up.聽 More precisely, it fills the car up with water every time it rains. The old rubberised outer part where the rod screws in to has perished and has a smearing of Vaseline over it to try and keep the water out 馃槻

I tried asking our local dealer for some help with the replacement parts and I got a 4 number response.聽 No 'Hi', 'Hello' or 'Thanks for contacting us, let us know if you need further assistance'.聽 Just 4 numbers!!

So, if they are going to be that 'helpful', I dare not ask for any further help as I'm not sure what response I'd get back 馃ぃ.

This is what I currently have:

DSC_1362.thumb.JPG.79ccc9ddd9976a7d646b8f683d569e77.JPGDSC_1365.thumb.JPG.620f2205106a07b26c8e397677c44441.JPG

The four part numbers I was provided are:

1738453 - Aerial without cable

1737828 - Aerial rod

1796563 - Extension cable

1876356 - GPS aerial

When I look in to these parts, most of the websites tell me these are parts for a Transit and are incompatible with my vehicle.聽

What is the GPS aerial for?聽 I've heard that the original aerial is obsolete so I'm guessing that the GPS and radio aerials are now separate; so where does the GPS aerial fit?聽 I'm assuming that I'll have to replace the entire cable from the roof to the radio too.聽 All in all this is rather an expensive replacement!!聽

So, are these the right parts or is there an alternative which I can just retro fit?聽 I had contemplated a scrap yard replacement, but I can just as easily end up in this situation again with perished rubber.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

26 minutes ago, cosmarchy said:

When I look in to these parts, most of the websites tell me these are parts for a Transit and are incompatible with my vehicle.聽

Yes and No. Electrically they would work. Mechanically the GPS unit would not mount to your screen as it does on the Transit. You would be much better to just use a standalone GPS aerial and mount it (inside) on the top of the dashboard as near to the bottom edge of the windscreen as possible. They only stick on with a double sided foam pad and give excellent GPS signals.

Example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bingfu-Waterproof-Navigation-Compatible-Volkswagen/dp/B07YXP93Q2?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3VCLDSEOIKRMV

I have used a similar one to this GPS-antenna, unofix, as the original antenna broke during the winter and i sweeped it off along with the snow馃槀聽As i use an DAB-adapter now i didn't need the FM-part of it. Works excellent! I blanked off the hole on the roof with a plug and color coded it.

• Like 1

I'd have a look on CatCar and seeif they offer any other numbers....

Thanks for your input guys.

Had a look at CatCar and at first glance, they look quite comprehensive but when I click on the parts for more information, I get a 'not found' response for every part which was disappointing.聽 Good shout though 馃榾

The Bingfu GPS looks good, I'll just need to sort out the aerial for the radio then I'll have a solution.

I found LarsfromNorway previous post earlier.聽 If all else fails, I might have to go down the DAB route too 馃榿

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cosmarchy said:

Had a look at CatCar and at first glance, they look quite comprehensive but when I click on the parts for more information, I get a 'not found' response for every part which was disappointing.聽 Good shout though

I don't think the "information" is supported, but is good for FINIS codes, and If you search your car with your VIN number, then FINIS codes I think are the items specifically for your car.聽 Then just Google the FINIS code.聽 The FINIS codes in your first post do not appear on the Focus pages.....

Also good for exploded views of the car !

@Paulkp Didn't know you could search for vehicle specific parts.聽 That has been both useful and confusing.聽

By searching with my VIN, I narrowed down all the possible options to the diagram and list below:

image.thumb.png.d821bbf4cc52b6f5314abf93b4e4b5a3.png

image.thumb.png.ab930e8c1868edf4e5e56c00f3a80715.png

The confusion stems from the part numbers.聽 Of the 5 part numbers in the diagram, only 3 appear to be listed.聽 When you search google for those parts, a whole load of different parts are returned all purporting to be the part number which I searched for so I've no idea which part is the correct one.聽 Clicking on the parts list takes me to another screen which tells me there are no offers for the parts hence the google search.

I'm probably going to end up buying something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385725496206

as it seems to be a rather popular alternative to the original. The problem I now have is that I need the correct cable.聽 By the looks of the diagram, there are two cables (god knows why) and I've taken an image of the back of the radio:

image.thumb.png.54eb779cbc7870f70a9f69e627c0b45b.png

the aerial connector being to the right of the blue GPS connector.聽 I cannot see enough detail in any internet search using any and all part numbers I can see on various sites as to whether the connectors will fit either end.聽 Most are blurry or lack the photos of the ends of the cables.

Does anyone have a clue as to which cable has the correct connectors for the aerial and radio???

Thanks

GPS aerial uses the Blue Fakra聽 connector. See my post above.

The radio AM/FM aerial uses the Ford standard RF connector as found on the lead Finis code 1430594

This cable from a Mondeo should work with your radio for the roof aerial AM/FM signal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266615071243?

23 hours ago, unofix said:

GPS aerial uses the Blue Fakra聽 connector. See my post above.

The radio AM/FM aerial uses the Ford standard RF connector as found on the lead Finis code 1430594

This cable from a Mondeo should work with your radio for the roof aerial AM/FM signal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266615071243?

@unofix I pulled off the door pillar cover and found the connector:

image.thumb.png.c70278824ae2e4448ddb475193838146.png

Slightly odd as the Ford image appears to show two round connectors from what I can make out from the image.聽

From the eBay listing, it looks like it has the round connector found on the back of the radio so can assume this is intended to be direct from the aerial direct to the radio.

Do you know if the length of this will reach across the roof, down the side panel and behind the dash to the radio?

1 hour ago, cosmarchy said:

Do you know if the length of this will reach across the roof, down the side panel and behind the dash to the radio?

It does on a Mondeo, so I would expect it should be ok for your car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club