Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Car Owner Vs Registered Keeper

bt_cav

Hi Folks

Could I buy a car on someones behalf and he/she be the registered keeper?

Would this affect me the finical owner of the vehicle? My insurance etc...

Would it affect their insurance not being the owner?

Any help and advice very gratefully received

Cheers

Brian :D

Hi Folks

Could I buy a car on someones behalf and he/she be the registered keeper? YES

Would this affect me the finical owner of the vehicle? My insurance etc... YES, you would be responable for any outstanding payments on the car (assuming you'll be buying on finace), it shoulnt affect your insurance in anyway as you will not be the registered keeper so on paper wouldnt own the car

Would it affect their insurance not being the owner? POSSABLE, I do know that when filling out insurance forms theres a question something like,'are you the registered keeper? are you the owner?' if not then the insurance may decline the insurance

Cheers

Brian :D

Yes to the first one and no disrespect to Fishpond...

I think in all honesty you would be better asking your insurance company the next two questions, and I would ask them to put the answers in writing if only via email and then keep a copy.

HTH

cyb

Yes to the first one and no disrespect to Fishpond...

I think in all honesty you would be better asking your insurance company the next two questions, and I would ask them to put the answers in writing if only via email and then keep a copy.

HTH

cyb

No disrespect taken mate,tbh I too would be inclined to get confirmation from the insurance co.

Could I buy a car on someones behalf and he/she be the registered keeper? - Yes you could, just because the money comes out of your account does not mean that you are the registered owner... who's name is going to be on the V5?

Would this affect me the finical owner of the vehicle? My insurance etc... again, technically no, because you bought something doesnt mean its yours... if you buy the gift and donate it to someone then you are not responsible afterwards. as long as no paperwork to the vehicle has your name on it, your technically nothing to do it.

Would it affect their insurance not being the owner? - If you were to remain the "owner" of the vehcile, your name would be on the V5, therefore you may be obligated by your insurance to acknowledge you have "another vehicle" however it really depends. On the other hand, you cannot be the "Primary Driver" of a vehicle that is "owned" by another person. For Example, as young lads an' lasses pass their test, their parents may buy them a car (in parents name) and put the child as a "main driver") this is Fronting and is illegal :) however, if the parent buys said car, puts childs name on the V5, then technically they are nothing to do with it, the child is owner and responsible..

in short...

If you ARE the registered Owner - on a V5 - Yes you may need to acknowledge owning another vehicle, however it should not affect your insurance, but your insurers may offer you a "discount" for insuring both of them... you may also be obligated to tell them so that they do not Void your warranty in case of an incident.

finally any drivers of your car would need to be placed as Named Drivers, or Other Drivers only, no one but yourself can be the Main Driver / Primary Driver. Bare in mind that in the event of speeding tickets etc, you would be the first person called upon to identify the driver...

If you ARE NOT the registered owner on the V5 - The vehicle is technically nothing to do with you, whoevers name is on the V5 it is their responsibility for all legal proceedings, they would be responsible for the insurance and ownership, and would need to have you as a named driver, but themselves as the main driver.

I hope this irons things out... but I agree with the above, you should always check with your insurers, as I say the act of "Fronting" ones insurance can be frowned upon and is a criminal offence, and you need to be sure that even with all the best of intentions, that you are not putting yourself into a position of criminality inadvertantly.

Hope this helps :)

The V5 does not prove ownership only that you are the keeper of the vehicle and as such are responsible for its insurance and complying with road traffic laws

wow there is a lot to this

Thankyou so much form all your advice guys :D

the thing is, If debt collection people come a knocking on my friends door can they take the car from her if it was bought on my debit card?

Hi Pragmatix, as being responsible for the vehicle, there are no other means of proving ownership. The V5 certificate in its own right is proof of responsibility - I agree, but there are no other means to my knowledge of proving ownership, aside the V5. Please feel free to correct me if I am missing anything.

bt_cav, as for debt collection its a story in itself as to what works and not... if the vehicle is to be kept at the premesise that a collector may call at, they will consider that if it resides there it is the property of the holder of the keys, if this is a friend then they would be deemed the owner. If the vehicle is kept on your land, and they come knocking, they may clamp the vehicle, and apply a warning to the screen that its clamped for debt purposes, it would then be your responsibility to prove that the vehicle is not yours, the most common way to my knowledge is the V5 and DVLA records.

I would advise if you are none the wiser, and you want further clarification of ownership, you may wish to contact the DVLA and query it with them, they will be able to tell you if the V5 is decleration of ownership or not.

The way I see it is that if a car is bought on finance, say with Black Horse, the vehicle is your own, it is named to be your property and registered with the DVLA to be your responsibility. If you stop making payments they can reclaim the vehicle to cover the cost of debt - so for example, they may take £3000 for the loan value at an auction, and reduce your debt by this. However, just because you borrowed the money from Lloyds and they in essence provided the funds for the vehicle does not make it their property. They would have the debt reclaim / posession orders that would allow them to confiscate it from you.

At the end of the day, my understanding (and I am happy for anyone to correct me) is that just because you provide the funds for something doesnt make it yours. If my parents loaned me £2000 to buy a £4000 car, doesnt mean they own half the car, its all down to docuemnts at the end of the day, and as such you may be a source of finance, but you are not responsible nor the owner unless you acclaim to be on paper.

If you do hear back off the DVLA, or any other party, it will be an education for a lot of us if you post the details here :)

its all down to docuemnts at the end of the day, and as such you may be a source of finance, but you are not responsible nor the owner unless you acclaim to be on paper.

You have hit the nail omn the head there, I am the registered keep of the car I drive but I dont own it, my mother in law does and has the reciept to prove it, this was also true of a company vehicle I used , the company owned it not me.

Yeah too many loopholes, and its a tricky place to get stuck. some bailiffs may claim that the holder of the receipt of the vehicle is the owner, or the documented driver... company cars are a great example, the car is owned by the company, however some will give the V5 to the driver with their name on it (I didnt think of that one - thanks pragmatix!) others will have the company's name on the V5...

Its all fun and ball games, as I say it may be worth asking the DVLA though... their word should be final on whom is classed "the owner"

Thanks Everyone I will let you know what DVLA has to say on the matter.

talk about a can of worms.... :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club