Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Engine Malfunction Light

Makf2000

Thanks I will try disconnecting it,must admit when the light is on it seems a better car for power, on my way to work today it's unbelievable how many times I have to drop a gear to build speed up,it's always seems to come on around 2000 revs in 3Rd gear it's doing my nut in,il try that tomorrow and get back to you 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

The light should be constantly On, because lack of MAF is a fault. But if the MAF itself is faulty, then many people have found that the car drives much better without the faulty MAF connected.

Once you have diagnosed the MAF as the problem, you will need to replace it, or sometimes just clean it, before you can, hopefully, get back to driving a decent car with no EML on.

My light is constantly on at moment which is normal and drives great, was going to try and reset dtc but surely will come back on again

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi there could any one help me with a DTC fault code. Did the self test on dash board, gauge sweep etc and found a DTC # 019681.

my car engine malfunction warning came on the dash and and lost power. Will not go over 3000 revs. 

Please help!!!! 😡

5 hours ago, Kezer said:

Did the self test on dash board, gauge sweep etc and found a DTC # 019681.

0196xx on the dash test is P0196. However this is down as an oil temperature sensor problem, and as far as I know, no Mk2/2a Focus has one of these. Knowing the engine type might help.

They all have a simple oil pressure switch, I have seen no reference to oil temperature.

I suggest getting a good diagnostic system like Forscan. It is under £20 if you have access to a Windows laptop, a little more on a smart phone. The dash diagnostics are far from comprehensive.

• 8 months later...

bought a 1.6 diesel. Month ago had no problems until today had mot and service before car was bought.  Engine malfunction light appears cant clear it using the break and accelerater and done self diagnostic and no dtm codes . Any ideas thanks in advance 

There will be codes, but you'll need a code reader to access them. It will be an investment for you to buy your own, rather than pay a garage to read and reset them for you. You can get a dependable one for under £20 from Tunnelrat electronics, (see their website) theyre UK based and you can email them for advice to help you choose the right one for you..Only then , when you've got codes, can we have any idea what's upsetting your mota. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2014 at 8:23 PM, martyntdci said:

could be egr valve

Hi I hade same thing readin told me to change edr valve I did that put a new valve but there was no diferent whatsoever the isue is still same 

• 1 month later...

Guys I had this whilst driving home from work last night. I was driving through road works so I was only doing 40mph and it just appeared out of nowhere. Got out the roadworks and car was fine no loss of power etc was driving normal and sounded normal just this message. Bit ***** off as I've only had the car since September 2020 and help? I've read up people saying mostly about fuel filters. It's a 2.0 zetec S mk3 2013

16113100981296605150897708088954.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gary41 said:

Guys I had this whilst driving home from work last night. I was driving through road works so I was only doing 40mph and it just appeared out of nowhere. Got out the roadworks and car was fine no loss of power etc was driving normal and sounded normal just this message. Bit ***** off as I've only had the car since September 2020 and help? I've read up people saying mostly about fuel filters. It's a 2.0 zetec S mk3 2013

16113100981296605150897708088954.jpg

Petrol or diesel?

You'll need codes read really.  Though if it's a diesel then trying a new fuel filter is often a good start.

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Petrol or diesel?

You'll need codes read really.  Though if it's a diesel then trying a new fuel filter is often a good start.

It's a diesel mate ill try get to a garage this morning 

• Like 1

Just now, Gary41 said:

It's a diesel mate ill try get to a garage this morning 

Ok, let us know how you get on.  If it's not fuel filter then my guess is something DPF related...

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ok, let us know how you get on.  If it's not fuel filter then my guess is something DPF related...

Hi mate. Engine code was P244C. He cleared the code and its fine. Light went off and so did message 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gary41 said:

Hi mate. Engine code was P244C. He cleared the code and its fine. Light went off and so did message 

This was it but where it says fails to regenerate. On the computer it said that the engine had regenerated itself and the code just needed wiping 

Screenshot_20210122-112156_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 2010 1.6 focus titanium and my engine malfunction came on whilst I was driving and I lost all power I had to coast to road side. I left car overnight and went back next day, car started fine and engine malfunction had gone off and ran fine for 2 month then same thing happened again today. But engine malfunction stayed on. Put a shop bought code reader onto car and it came back with no codes. I can’t go through the diagnostic that is posted further up as my car is start/stop push button start so I can’t use ignition settings, anyone have any ideas???

36 minutes ago, Debbie150 said:

I have a 2010 1.6 focus titanium and my engine malfunction came on whilst I was driving and I lost all power I had to coast to road side. I left car overnight and went back next day, car started fine and engine malfunction had gone off and ran fine for 2 month then same thing happened again today. But engine malfunction stayed on. Put a shop bought code reader onto car and it came back with no codes. I can’t go through the diagnostic that is posted further up as my car is start/stop push button start so I can’t use ignition settings, anyone have any ideas???

The cheap code reader won't pick up ford specific codes. You need forscan on a laptop really.

The dashboard test menu method is useless anyway.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:28 PM, Debbie150 said:

But engine malfunction stayed on. Put a shop bought code reader onto car and it came back with no codes

If a warning lamp is on, there will be some codes stored somewhere in the car. As Luke says, many generic (multi-manufacturer) scanners are not good at picking up Ford specific codes. Sometimes codes do vanish quickly with one or two ignition cycles, but if the light stays on I would expect the code to still be there. I also recommend Forscan as the best available system for Fords. It is not expensive, though it may not be the most convenient or easiest to use system. But it is powerful. There is loads of advice about it on this site, See

There are literally many hundreds of reasons for the EML (engine warning lamp) to come on. For any hope of diagnosis, a description of symptoms (does it even attempt to start or turn over?), engine type and the codes are all needed.

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem which also on occasion doesn’t allow me to start the car. Even stranger is that if I open the bonnet and re shut it I can then start the car! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Check both battery leads are clamped tight to the battery terminals and the leads are not able to move about on the posts,

Please fill details of your car "New Member"

• 1 month later...

Hey guys i dont know if this will help anyone but i have had the same problem with my 1.6 focus estate the engine malfunction had come on and car went into limp mode...... so i had checked the fuse box and a 10amp fuse was in the wrong port needed to go back into the glow plug port... all sorted and the car is running fine...... hope this helps anyone that needs it 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr J said:

the engine malfunction had come on and car went into limp mode...... so i had checked the fuse box and a 10amp fuse was in the wrong port needed to go back into the glow plug port...

Have you had the car checked for a poltergeist ? 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club