Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Common Problems Thread

jamesm182

The throttle (inc. potentiometer) is not hard to change, just fiddly! there's loads on eBay, inc brand new ones. I got one for £30.00

O thank you for the information. Do u have a picture of what it looks like or where it is on the car

I bought this

eBay item 190918422012

basically just remove driver's side lower dash, remove mounting screws and electrical connectors then swap over.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 06 1.6ltr Duratec TiVCt no problems until now........I have this sound like someone blowing a French horn under the bonnet when applying the throttle and it is really worrying. me. If anyone has any ideas as to what this could be and could give me some idea of how much this may cost to repair, would be really appreciated.

PS sorry new here so not sure this is the right topic to post this too.

ide look at the airbox and hoses make sure theres no splits etc

Sorry ended up taking it to a garage I trust and they told me the bearing in the alternator was either on its way out or seized, so they put a new alternator on to find that that wasn't the problem now they are looking at the water pump.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Reverse light switch failure (its on the gearbox). You'll know if you have the problem if your reverse light fails and the rear windscreen wiper doesn't do a sweep when you have the wipers on and engage reverse gear. Reasonably straightforward to fix I believe, but I had my local garage do it for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Really common problem we have seen on the 1.6 TDCI that come into us with DPF problems is that the rubber hoses that sit between the DPF and differential pressure sensor becomes brittle over time and breaks. If this happens the ECU can no longer monitor DPF saturation and the DPF will clog even quicker. If you have DPF problems worth checking these pipes first!

• 2 weeks later...

Best I add a post to provide a link to my 2010 fix for the "Water in Plug Ports Issue" with photos

[you know what they say better late than never]

Also see the link to my thread on "Rusting Front Wheel Arches" [again with photos]

These where common faults on early build Mk2's on 05 and 55 plates. With a possiblity of affecting some early 06 plates, as it's down to build date, not registration date.

Ford supposibly fixed both problems with revised washer jets [ I still advise silicone grease if you have this problem on later builds], They added plastic lower sill and lower wheel arch protectors on later builds, to eleviate rusting. That said, I would still recommend fitting Ford mudflaps on the front wheel arches. Road grit thrown up by the front wheels acts like "shotblast" peppering your sills and in some cases lower door panels.

• Like 1

agree with the above the revised jets dont solve the leak though and still require silicone sealant and the plastic gaurds help but the paint still gets stripped eventually sadly the cars design is the cause but the flaps slow the process a lot

Front mud flaps are a must unless you like your paint being flayed off the lower leading edge of the rear doors and the leading edge of the rear wheel arches. Oh and don't forget large amounts of tar spots (as if you could).

Hi all new to group,

Just got a focus Zetec 1.6 on 55 reg

Found boot both sides ringing wet when collected and was told boot had been open during rain storm on Bristol st ford lot, they dried it out and I noticed 2 days later all wet again, took back to garage under warranty and they resealed boot hinges etc,

Found it wet today again argggggghhh.

I have removed both light clusters and cleaned body and found seals round light cluster screw hole plugs seem poor so sealed all round and in plug holes, round bottom grommet, and round wiring grommet.

Refitted and hopefully seems ok after last rain storm, but still checking, what I need to know please is where and how do I seal the boot spoiler as this is a common leak area too.

Thanks in advance rob

I have a guide to removing/refitting spoilers under my posts (available when viewed on a PC).

It shows where to seal against leaks.

• Like 1

Thanks mate got it downloaded and will silicon mine if the sealing under lights didn't work today, pouring down now so hopefully still dry in boot lol

Great guide well done

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a 2008 Focus and my N/S headlight points to the floor I have tried to adjust manually but nothing happened.

Is it possibly broken or is there a common fault.

Thanks

Try taking bulb back out and refit in case not located correctly as this can alter the beam angle.

Check bulb glass is not distorted in metal holder again this will alter beam angle.

Try adjusting headlights up and down to see if motors are both working

• Like 1

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Much appreciated,

Stevo

• Like 1

Your welcome please update us once done ;)

I have a guide to removing/refitting spoilers under my posts (available when viewed on a PC).

It shows where to seal against leaks.

Found the problem :)

It was getting in behind light clusters, the plastic body plugs where lights screws go into had to remove light clusters bothsides, clean whole area as muck had collected under there and around plugs etc

Lifted rubber cable loom boot and temp sealed round it. Then temp sealed both upper and lower body plugs etc also there is a blanking rubber grommet near bottom so sealed that too.

going back into ford thursday so they can replace all body plugs which have a seal on which has deteriorated.

But at present and after two jet washes at work the old girl is still dry.

Part numbers :

1231409 upper body plugs and seals x 2 (L/R)

1231405 lower body plugs and seals x 2 (L/R)

1428727 light cluster screws x 4

approx £12 to get all parts from ford.

thanks Rob

Went in yesterday and they replaced and carried out all the above so let's see when it rain.

Refitting new plugs won't stop it the plugs have a foam seal this saturates and leaks only sealing them will solve the issue been there done that sometimes they work for a bit then leak again poor design plain and simple ford know this

• Like 1

Ok thanks going to pop the lights off and double check they also sealed them as requested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys new to fourm!

I have a 2007 focus, 1.6 petrol. Noticed the power steering gets really heavy to the point where there is none at all when the engine isn't under load.

Am I to fear the worst that it's going to be a new power steering pump?

Thanks

Hello FordoManiacs

Couple days ago problems come out

I have Focus 2008 TDCi 1.6 Estate 58K

Lost power, engine chocking, engine shut off when acelerate on high revs during drive

Check today in local garage OBD2 and here we have list of faults:

P2459- Diesel particulate filter regeneration frequency

P0087- Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

P1180- Fuel delivery system low

U0073- Control module communication bus off

U0416- Invalid data received from VDM

Please help if you had the same problems because the garage want today strip half of the car!

I really need my car to work

Please help

Thank you

post-53823-0-51838400-1398717371_thumb.j

post-53823-0-63149000-1398717386_thumb.j