Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Common Problems Thread

jamesm182

Hello new ford owner

Got the mk2 zetec climate very happy with it great car

One issue iv notice i can move down both Windows from the drivers side but when i want them up the drivers one works fine but i have to lean over and use the switch on the passenger side for that window to go up.

Is there a solution to this

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a bad switch to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has problem on mk2 1.8 tdci with juddering in 2nd 3rd abd 4th gear at low revs

Hi there... I'm new to the forum and I'm trying to get the best out of my family's 2006 Focus. It's a Ghia, with A/C, which is not working properly. I've refilled A/C systems on other cars (particularly American ones), but this one seems a little tricky. I can't seem to find exactly the line to which I need to connect the canister of R134a.

I'm wondering if this picture shows where I should connect it. It's right next to the sticker about A/C refill. I'm confused because it would seem American-build Mk2s have the A/C recharge line forward of the passenger wheel well.

Any input would be great!

post-64946-0-60186500-1429712163_thumb.j

There are two points iirc, one high pressure and one low pressure.
One of them is that vertical metal pipe with the black cap at the bottom of your picture.
I'll link you a pdf Haynes manual that should help.

High pressure on the mondy is at the back might be the same for you?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have a 2010, 59 reg, 1.6 diesel Focus. In 2nd and 3rd gears at revs below 1500rpm the car judders as if running out of fuel. I have learnt to keep the revs up by slipping the clutch but would like to fix the fault. Anyone know a cure?

Depends how violent the judder is... Ford's have a natural judder at lower revs but if it's a severe judder I would suggest replacing the fuel filter at least.

Sorry guys if this has already been covered but i am having problems with my 2008 1.8 tdci ford focus. In 3rd and 4th mainly when i accelerate to 3k revs my car seems to tug/shudder and doesnt pick speed up unless i put clutch in and rev car hard. Even then it doesnt clear all the time. Seems sluggish and short of power. Mainly does it when engine is warm....?

Thanks in advance. (NEW MEMBER)

Probably the egr valve I'd coked. How many miles had it done?

107k. Surely this is covered under warranty as only just got it.....

You should be entitled to 6 months protection then, look at my signature. Give it back in that case and demand resolution.

Well i got 12 months warranty for 200 qhid so i should hope i get it fixed for free. It lacks in power from 2 -5th gear almost at 2.5k - 3k revs.

My battery keeps dying and I have a 0.5amp draw from the battery only thing that removes it is taking out the large green plug that provided power to the internal fusebox

You have a parasitic drain, you need to test the circuits by removing the fuses one at a time until you find the problem circuit.

• Like 1

1.8tdci FORD FOCUS

Hi guys,

Had my car hooked up to car computer no codes. As i said few days ago it seems to have no power in 3rd and 4th gear when i go to put my foot down.

Would this definately point to egr problem?

It would strongly suggest so in my mind... Get it blanked off for a fiver and you will probably realise it's the best fiver you ever spend.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 1.6 54plate titanium, it has a knocking noise coming from the driveshaft when pulling away I. Not sure if it's the bearings as the has a high mileage (100,000) does anyone have ideas of what it might be I've had a look and there's no obvious signs of damage but you can feel the knock through the footwell

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2009

The thing keeps breaking down on me. I could be at the lights then it will just die and no power to it. The engine feels as if its trying to start. A bit like if you run out of petrol. Have taken it to the garage and 2 error codes came up. One for the PAT and another for the fuel pump. But because the car has never broken down at the garage my mechanic doesnt want me to take the hit for a new fuel pump if this isnt the issue

When I broke down another time and recovery had to come and get me. He checked the car out and then had went and got fuel, poured directly into the fuel pump and the car started, he then stopped pouring and the car cut out immediately.

Its so weird cos I could have the car and drive for a week and itll be fine. Or I could drive it round the corner and it could die on me. As you can imagine I have no confidence driving this car as I never know when it might die on me

I wanted to know if anybody else has had fuel pump issues, the recover guy said Fords are notorious for it. But as this my first ford I have no clue

• 2 weeks later...

Focus 2 weaknesses - here we go

Rear numberplate light units rust easily or Mk2 Focus

My non DPF 1.6TDCI 90ps Focus 2 has been brilliant until one of the injector seals (leftmost one when looking under the bonnet) started leaking into the engine thinning the oil to the point after 5 - 10 mins of running that there is low oil pressure indicated by the oil warning light on the dash.

Please beware when trying to take out glow plugs - the very tips break away from the body of the glow plug leaving it jammed in the cylinder head - get a garage to ease them out as they have a feel for these things. As an aside I am lead to believe that faulty glow plugs can sometimes throw the car into limp home mode.

Thats my contrib for now.

Very much on the nail there Paul.

The best thing anyone can do is to keep spinning the plug little by little back and forth in a rocking motion to release it, as if you go straight for the kill you will be disappointed!

Yeh, I wiggled the 9mm socket a bit bit but as the glow plug tip was probably expanded after 188,000 miles of service it turned and then all of a sudden went tight feeling like it was on the end of a wire and then went loose-leaving a twisted projection of wire where the tip once was !- I have a full dealer history up to 150K so know they were never changed since the car was built in late 2006. In any case the car still starts on 3 plugs so I'm relatively happy for the time being. Can you recommend a diesel injector extractor on eBay? or someone in the North Somerset area who has one as I don't want to spend more than 50 quid. I can actually smell the leaking injector when I get close to the top of each injector. I am hoping that by changing the seals in that injector i might just fix the problem. Hoping for a very warm day to do this in order to ease the process!.

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Ford Focus, 2008 1.8tdci model, an absolute pleasure to drive after spending just over a year in a dreadful peugeot 308.

This focus hasn't come without its own minor issues though, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this...

My radio and heated controls do not light up at night? I assumed it may just be bulbs or a fuse, but the confusing thing is that if the ignition is not on and I turn the radio on, then the radio will light up, as soon as I flick the key round to ignition, the lights will go again?

Furthermore the dimmer switch for the dash and speedos seems to make absolutely no difference?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Ryan

Hi

I have a 2010 Focus with a 2.0 TDCI engine.

In the last few weeks I've been hearing a persistent whirring, ticking and cluncking noise from the centre and left of the engine when I am cruising in 3rd gear and above and feathering the accelerator at about 1,300 to 1,500 revs. I have not noticed any deterioration of the performance of the car or loss of power but the noises don't sound good.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be caused by and should I be taking the problem to a garage to get it fixed urgently.

Thanks