Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Ford Fiesta - How Many Faults Does Yours Have?

Martyn

Hi,

New member here. I have a 59 plate Zetec 1.4 TDCi with no modifications. I have the clunking steering which is a known fault as I've seen the technical issue printout that the Ford mechanics have access to and it says to apply additional grease to some part of the steering system which my local dealer did but it still clunks at low speeds.

My biggest issue is that the car has developed a judder under load between 2500 & 3500 revs in 3rd, 4th, 5th. If I ease off it disappears and it's been diagnosed variously as 1. no fault (twice), 2. poor road surface, 3. all wheels out of balance and a buckle on one of the front ones (wheels rebalanced, buckle moved from front to back), 4. dodgy drive shaft on the passenger side (supposedly driveshaft replaced but spoke to the dealer in Dagenham where I bought it as I'm at the point of rejecting the car. They looked on their computer system and there's only 1 warranty repair on there which is something to do with a drivedshaft knuckle so I haven't a clue what's actually been done and when I asked if I could have a copy of the job card Ford UK said that they don't provide them for warranty work). I should say that although I bought the car in Dagenham, I live in Scotland so my local dealer is in Forfar. I thought it was a little better after they did whatever they did with the driveshaft although the judder was still there. I gave it a week assuming it was the buckle on the rear but it was still doing it so took it back in on Saturday and had 4 new wheels put on to test it but no joy.

It has been in 5 times so far specifically for the fault where no other work was carried out, once for the 12500 mile service in May where I asked them to look at the fault as it had only just developed and also once for them to look at the fault but I got the 2nd service done at the same time as it was due 1000 miles afterwards anyway. So all in all it's been in 6 times and the dealer wants it to go in for a 7th time for them to pack grease into the driver's side driveshaft. I'm at a loss as to what's causing this. It intially showed up on a trip to Plymouth from Scotland. The car had driven perfectly for approximately 500 miles but the car is a bit sluggish going up hills and there's one just past Exeter, so I had to drop it down to 3rd to get up it and as I applied the throttle, that's when it started. This was at the beginning of May and it's been doing it ever since. Ford UK keep asking me how I think it can be resolved but surely that's not my job? It's not as if I'm a mechanic. At the end of the day I just want a car that works properly. I have looked on Google and there's been some mention of a dodgy MAF sensor but it was plugged into the diagnostic machine and there was no fault found.

Apologies for the length of the post but any suggestions would be most appreciated as I'm at my wits end. When it was driving well it really was a joy to drive but right now it's a chore.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magenta

• KeithC

• Martyn

• AndrewL

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

New member here. I have a 59 plate Zetec 1.4 TDCi with no modifications. I have the clunking steering which is a known fault as I've seen the technical issue printout that the Ford mechanics have access to and it says to apply additional grease to some part of the steering system which my local dealer did but it still clunks at low speeds.

My biggest issue is that the car has developed a judder under load between 2500 & 3500 revs in 3rd, 4th, 5th. If I ease off it disappears and it's been diagnosed variously as 1. no fault (twice), 2. poor road surface, 3. all wheels out of balance and a buckle on one of the front ones (wheels rebalanced, buckle moved from front to back), 4. dodgy drive shaft on the passenger side (supposedly driveshaft replaced but spoke to the dealer in Dagenham where I bought it as I'm at the point of rejecting the car. They looked on their computer system and there's only 1 warranty repair on there which is something to do with a drivedshaft knuckle so I haven't a clue what's actually been done and when I asked if I could have a copy of the job card Ford UK said that they don't provide them for warranty work). I should say that although I bought the car in Dagenham, I live in Scotland so my local dealer is in Forfar. I thought it was a little better after they did whatever they did with the driveshaft although the judder was still there. I gave it a week assuming it was the buckle on the rear but it was still doing it so took it back in on Saturday and had 4 new wheels put on to test it but no joy.

It has been in 5 times so far specifically for the fault where no other work was carried out, once for the 12500 mile service in May where I asked them to look at the fault as it had only just developed and also once for them to look at the fault but I got the 2nd service done at the same time as it was due 1000 miles afterwards anyway. So all in all it's been in 6 times and the dealer wants it to go in for a 7th time for them to pack grease into the driver's side driveshaft. I'm at a loss as to what's causing this. It intially showed up on a trip to Plymouth from Scotland. The car had driven perfectly for approximately 500 miles but the car is a bit sluggish going up hills and there's one just past Exeter, so I had to drop it down to 3rd to get up it and as I applied the throttle, that's when it started. This was at the beginning of May and it's been doing it ever since. Ford UK keep asking me how I think it can be resolved but surely that's not my job? It's not as if I'm a mechanic. At the end of the day I just want a car that works properly. I have looked on Google and there's been some mention of a dodgy MAF sensor but it was plugged into the diagnostic machine and there was no fault found.

Apologies for the length of the post but any suggestions would be most appreciated as I'm at my wits end. When it was driving well it really was a joy to drive but right now it's a chore.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Hi Nick

I am from Belgium.I throughly understand in what you are going thru.I've the same problem like your one, problem with steering. Went to the garage for the 4th time still the same. My car has done 6000kms. Dealer keeps saying they dont know how to resolve the problem. I am facing a lot of problems with my dealer and I am totally upset. I think ford is just playing with us. They just don't treat the problems directly for these steering issues. I am still waiting for a solution. I have written some letters to ford headoffice here in Belgium, still now no answer. I am jsut becomming crazy with all these....

Another minor niggle. Can anyone else confirm if their Mk 7 Fiesta does this...?

If I turn the front windscreen washers on, then release the stalk, it obviously completes its two or three sweeps of the windscreen. If I then pull the stalk again to turn on the washers for a second time, they spray the water but the wipers don't sweep. This happens every time - you have to manually put the wipers in either intermittent position or fully on if you use the washers a second time, which you sometimes need to do on the motorway if there's lots of spray.

My old Mk5 Fiesta didn't do this, if you put the washers on a second time, the wipers sweeped again. Bit odd, and not the end of the world, but all these little niggles add up.

1.6TDCI 59 plate 8500miles

Double locking works on all door except drivers door. once set and indicators flash twice you can still open the drivers door from inside.

Any Ideas?

Hi

My wipers do exactly the same thing.

You press squirt and the wipers stay still.

I wish i had kepy my old fiesta zetec climate Its on etis (VN07 WSL)

Jamie

My wipers do exactly the same thing.

You press squirt and the wipers stay still.

Thanks for confirming that it's not just mine!

:)

If that's intentional on Ford's part, then that's just daft - if you're on the motorway, very often you have to use the washers a second or third time in the winter. My old Fiesta's wipers worked with the washers no matter how many times you used them.

sorry to bring nothing productive to the discussion, but has anyone else realised this thread has had nearly 25,000 views!?

In the interest of balance I've had my 59 plate Zetec S a year and a month and can report NO faults in the 35,000 miles I've covered from new!

I was never a Ford fan but this Fiesta has changed that massively.

Not a single rattle, squeek, electronic gremlin, fluid loss nothing!

:)

Wow, 35k miles in just over a year?

Yes, it is rather a lot.

Thankfully it's a nice place to be!

As mentioned earlier I've been staggered that there's been no faults to report, at all.

Really hope I've not jinxed myself now mind!

:blink:

Hi.

I have a 58 reg Mk7 1.6TDCI fiesta Zetec with nearly 60k on the clock.

Anybody else have issues with the turbo not boosting?

About 4 times now when i've pulled away theres no power, feels exactly like theres no boost.

Its due for a service soon, last one while its still under warranty, i'll mention it then. But if anybody has any ideas, i was wondering if the wastegate could be sticking open.

• 2 months later...

59 plate Titanium 1.6 diesel

1.Immobiliser led kept flashing at varying rates as I was driving along, dealer said they loaded 'new' software. Still happened sometimes but no other symptoms.

2.Gear linkage came adrift. AA fixed it at the roadside. Ford dealer said couldn't find a problem,it probably wasn't asembled correctly in the first place. Didn't happen again.

Traded this car in at 9000 miles for :

59 plate 1.4 Auto 5 door Titanium Spec. Only 300 miles from new

1.Steering clunk, fixed so far by dealer by "lubricating steering column". Mentioned by others.

2.Sound insulation out of clips on bulkhead under bonnet. Dealer said "It's supposed to be like that sir" !! (All customers are idiots you see).

Partially fixed myself in an attempt to fix rattle, see below.

3.Rattle from central dashboard area at certain revs, not fixed.

4.Rattle from tailgate area, still investigating before taking it in with such a minor problem.

5.Poor fuel consumption. 31mpg overall,even with extremely light-footed driving and not going over 60mph even on motorways. O.K. so it's an auto but Ford overall figure is 42.8. Might take it in.

6.Noisy brakes on release (used a lot on an auto). Dealer can't do anything about it.

Overall not really that bad,relatively minor faults. I have had much worse new cars, Vauxhall for example. As described in another thread, this is my second Mk 7 and the build on this one doesn't seem so good. Both were built in the German plant. Not impressed by Ford after-sales, very courteous but unhelpful.

2009 Zetec S TDCI 30k now on clock.

1) steering clunk...ford have no idea...sounds like the rack

2)suspension squeak f/o/s

3)suspension knock f/n/s (as you pull away firmly or up a hill

4)handbrake barely holds on hills...female pupils cant pull it on enough (ford say thats within regs)

5)dual mass/clutch making noise

6) oil leak from breaker pipe (fixed once...leaking again)

7)intake pipe split (fixed)

8)radio done a wobbly a couple of times

9)wont start twice in cold weather

10)stalled on me in traffic the other morning 3 times from idle...very cold outside

11)huge flat spots...no boost as above post (ford said ecu holds no faults!?)

12)passeneger window switch keeps popping out (not fixed)

13)drivers window sometimes wont go down more than 1/2inch (not fixed)

14)very poor MPG at times. got better after service. but it has had weeks where 40mpg wasnt achievable (not fixed, Ford say normal)

15) after having the tracking and geometry checked out at 2 places...car still wants to pull to the right!?

couple other little things I expect...I think I got a bad one to be honest...and Ford in hereford have a very bad rep for actually doing anything or fixing anything!!!

anyway...mine going back to lease company...they tired of me moaning at them I think!!

Piggy

Mines gonna have to go back for the 4th time, first time was transmission light, second was engine management and transmission lights, 3rd was engine management and seatbelt lights, and the seatbelt light has just come back on tonight.

Getting pretty !Removed! off with the car now, Ford keep telling me its just a software fault but to be honest I think they are just fobbing me off.

Tell them to just remove the bulbs (joke)!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I took delivery of a new 1.25 3dr Zetec on Friday evening. I am really impressed with the car but there is one thing really bugging me. The passenger door does not sit flush with the rear panel of the car. It is sitting "proud" of it when the door is closed. I get really anoyed when things are not level and flush etc.

Has anyone else had the same problem and does anyone know if it is an easy fix? I hate putting a new car into the dealers as I worry that they will make a small problem a whole lot bigger, i.e damage something whilst trying to fix something else.

Thanks for any help,

Steve.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I took delivery of a new 1.25 3dr Zetec on Friday evening. I am really impressed with the car but there is one thing really bugging me. The passenger door does not sit flush with the rear panel of the car. It is sitting "proud" of it when the door is closed. I get really anoyed when things are not level and flush etc.

Has anyone else had the same problem and does anyone know if it is an easy fix? I hate putting a new car into the dealers as I worry that they will make a small problem a whole lot bigger, i.e damage something whilst trying to fix something else.

Thanks for any help,

Steve.

had the same problem with my fiesta,took it to the dealers,was an easy 30 minute fix :D

had the same problem with my fiesta,took it to the dealers,was an easy 30 minute fix :D

Thanks, thats good to know :D

So far I've had the fuel filler cap stick but that was fixed with a re-designed part so a known issue, other one was my bluetooth screwed up and refused to work with my phone but it was partly my fault, a software update fixed it all though and gave a couple of extra features so no complaints!

Other issue was the tracking which was fixed on the third attempt, they adjusted it spot on too, finally. And most recent was my breaks sticking which they have fixed although I still get some grinding noise to begin with, may mention it when it goes back for the bigy........

And a squeaky tailgate which you may know I fixed by simply twisting the rubber bungs to make them tighter. So I guess I've been lucky? No major problems at all, just very small ones.

Yet I am unlucky enough to have hit the !Removed! deer, get it all fixed and now face a potentially very large bill or a written off car 2 months later cause the back wheels are out of allingment!!! Can you tell I'm anxious? God I hope it's just a pothole bending a suspension component.....

Hi, my 2010 ZS had no working reversing lights from day 1. I proved the fault myself to be a duff gearbox switch which my local fraud stealer replaced. also from day 1 my ESP switch has been fitted upside down,the machanic said the complete dash would have to be removed for the switch to be put right, I said leave it. Does anyone know if this is true? Not wanting to scratch the facia in anyway I can put up with it but it is annoying every time I look at it.

Hi, my 2010 ZS had no working reversing lights from day 1. I proved the fault myself to be a duff gearbox switch which my local fraud stealer replaced. also from day 1 my ESP switch has been fitted upside down,the machanic said the complete dash would have to be removed for the switch to be put right, I said leave it. Does anyone know if this is true? Not wanting to scratch the facia in anyway I can put up with it but it is annoying every time I look at it.

They should fix the upside down switch for free under warranty without damaging the fascia. Maybe take some pictures beforehand just in case?

And a squeaky tailgate which you may know I fixed by simply twisting the rubber bungs to make them tighter. So I guess I've been lucky? No major problems at all, just very small ones.

I'm interested in this as I have a squeaky tailgate (it's not painfull !) The bungs are only held in by a quarter-twist and can't be adjusted as I've tried. On the three Rovers I had, they were adjustable by a threaded bung arrangement which is much better. Please don't anyone say they only need adjusting on Rovers - because it isn't true !

I'm interested in this as I have a squeaky tailgate (it's not painfull !) The bungs are only held in by a half-twist and can't be adjusted as I've tried. On the three Rovers I had, they were adjustable by a thread arrangement which is much better. Please don't anyone say they only need adjusting on Rovers - because it isn't true !

Here you go:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16278&st=0&p=101693&fromsearch=1entry101693

Got the idea thanks - I'll try it tomorrow. I really hope it's that simple. I already tried sticking temporary bits of sticky back felt on the end of the bungs to increase their effective length as an experiment but the results were inconclusive.

Hi had my fiesta for 2 months now and it currently has spent 6 weeks back at ford!

In the first day my back Speakers blew and were replaced and then blew again, i didnt have it turned up past 10 on the stereo but there seems to be a problem, back Speakers all still rattle aswell as the trim, then in the same week my side skirt paint cracked around the jacking point wich ford blamed on the cold weather. i also came to discover air bubbles in the back factory fitted tinted windows. Also on pickup the front bumper was clearly a different shade of white and around the foglight surrounds there was clearly visible a dull grey primer coming through the paint. I was told to take the car and they would fix it in 3 weeks. i also found when i was polishing the car marks underneath the laquer on the back spoiler it was smooth to the touch but was clearly visible so again took it back and they said they would fix all the paint issues at the same time. So.... It went in to the paint shop last week the official ford one and i got it back today, the have overspraid the full car, the car sounds like when u touch the paint you are rubbing sandpaper. and they have clearly sprayed the front bumper on the car as there is white paint on my tyres! i have also found white paint on my windscreen . also it has come back with the side skirt fixed but now the other one has been cracked exaclty the same as the other. is this a common fault or is it just me? I also had a constant rattle coming from the dashboard wich they have put down to the bonet realease cable being in the wrong place? yet they have moved it and the rattle still happens! anyone else had problems like these?

Hi had my fiesta for 2 months now and it currently has spent 6 weeks back at ford!

In the first day my back speakers blew and were replaced and then blew again, i didnt have it turned up past 10 on the stereo but there seems to be a problem, back speakers all still rattle aswell as the trim, then in the same week my side skirt paint cracked around the jacking point wich ford blamed on the cold weather. i also came to discover air bubbles in the back factory fitted tinted windows. Also on pickup the front bumper was clearly a different shade of white and around the foglight surrounds there was clearly visible a dull grey primer coming through the paint. I was told to take the car and they would fix it in 3 weeks. i also found when i was polishing the car marks underneath the laquer on the back spoiler it was smooth to the touch but was clearly visible so again took it back and they said they would fix all the paint issues at the same time. So.... It went in to the paint shop last week the official ford one and i got it back today, the have overspraid the full car, the car sounds like when u touch the paint you are rubbing sandpaper. and they have clearly sprayed the front bumper on the car as there is white paint on my tyres! i have also found white paint on my windscreen . also it has come back with the side skirt fixed but now the other one has been cracked exaclty the same as the other. is this a common fault or is it just me? I also had a constant rattle coming from the dashboard wich they have put down to the bonet realease cable being in the wrong place? yet they have moved it and the rattle still happens! anyone else had problems like these?

Sounds like you have a real lemon there, a white one ! Was it new ? I think your problems are pretty unusual and I would even go so far as to demand that Ford provide a replacement as respraying a new car is just not on. I would say you have a good case against Ford under the Sale of Goods Act. Paint on the tyres ? Sounds like it was done by real cowboys ! I had a repair done on one of my alloys by one of the 'at home' repairers where I had kerbed it and he did a 100% job with no overspray at all. If you haven't already, get a letter off to Ford pointing out that the car is just not acceptable.

As I have previously described, the only paintwork problem I have had was with my previous Hot Magenta car (which cost me £600 extra !) where the finish was very good but very soft and easily marked. I know new cars paintwork (I understand) take time to harden but it was just too soft. The one I have now in Marello seems fine with no paintwork issues at all. I have avoided automatic car washes on both cars altogether so far to prevent any paint damage. I do have a slight rattle from the central area of the dash at certain speeds/revs which I am trying to locate and will investigate the bonnet release but seems an unlikely culprit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club