Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering Between A Fiesta Zs And A Suzuki Swift Sport

kathyp

Hi there all,

New on here, but my post in the introduction forum,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/55618-hello-allpotential-fiesta-zetec-s-owner/

is turning rapidly into a thread about my car decisions, so thought it would make more sense to post it here!

Basically, a warm hatch will suit my lifestyle at the moment as a low mileage, mostly urban driver who still likes an enjoyable drive! I've narrowed it down to what pretty much all reviews conclude, and that I also like the look of, the Suzuki Swift Sport and a Fiesta ZS. Similar power, Suzuki a little faster, better specced and cheaper to buy, but Fiesta cheaper on tax and fuel and a better cabin.

Hoping to test drive both over the next few weeks - any input gratefully received! :)

Fiesta looks miles better.

I had a mk 6 ZS. Brilliant little car. And from what I hear, the new one is better.

Hundreds of ZS owners on here. I'm sure you will get loads of positive posts about it. Good luck!

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Yeah I do love the look of the Fiesta ZS, especially in Deep Impact Blue!! Why doesn't the ZS have LED lights like the titanium?

As others say you really need to test drive both but make sure you have as long a test drive as you can that way you're sure to get a feel for each car then its really down to you personally I'd choose the fiesta but it's up to you .. good luck

Yeah I really hope the dealers let me go on solo drives - hate it when you have one of them sat in there with you, I know it doesn't bother some people but I can never relax and drive the car properly in those situations.

i have a zs and my mate has a swift sport

i really like the swift, handles nice but don't feel as quick as the zs

the zs wins as far as interior and kit goes

he even said if he had driven the zs before buying the suzuki he may have been tempted by the ford

For the money i believe the zs is very hard to beat

Make sure you test drive the 125 engine. They only had the normal zetec for me to test, but even that was good.

I'd say just on looks the fiesta wins hands down. You see fewer suzukis about though, guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

Interesting comments, I actually think the suzuki wins out on kit...sat-nav, cruise, keyless entry start button etc and some stuff the zs doesn't have, like twin exhausts, xenons and touch screen infotainment system, all as standard - although I agree the cabin interior look overall isn't as good as the Fiesta. I think they both look great externally, different looks but both (to me) appealing. Swift has 136bhp in the revised version, actually slightly faster on paper although maybe feels slower as normally aspirated and a VTEC type engine with the power at the top end.

Think it will come down to the test drives, can't totally rule either in or out at this stage! And will make sure to get out in the 125bhp.

I'd go for the Swift Sport, I had the older shape one and it's one of the only cars I regret selling. It was so much fun to drive. I've gone back and forwards wondering if I should get a new one but not sure I could live with the harder ride of a warm hatch now I'm getting older. The Fiesta interior does look better, but having had a MK7 Fiesta they'll both rattle like mad a couple of hours into ownership :(

I haven't driven the Swift Sport, but given the choice between the turbo-charged 1.0 ecoboost (which I own) and a naturally aspirated engine with similar power, I'd take the NA engine.

This is something I've come to realise AFTER owning a turbo-charged car for about a year.

I prefer the somewhat linear torque delivery, and how power is mostly delivered near redline in an NA engine.

The ecoboost engine seems to struggle at higher RPM IMO.

So I'd actually pick the Swift, despite owning the Fiesta.

I guess what I'm saying is: Testdrive both and figure out what kind of car you prefer yourself.

Also I might add that I personally don't think the ZS feels fast - I mean the torque is there when you put your foot down, but it just feels like a torquey Diesel to me. It'll pull, but I don't FEEL like I'm moving fast. (This might sound odd, again you have to testdrive the cars and figure out what you prefer)

Yes its interesting isnt it - they're almost entirely different in power delivery - I think the Swift hits peak bhp at something crazy like 6900, redline somewhere about 7500. Fiesta more low down.

I've come from a small turbo engine (recently sold my abarth 500) so I'm going to have to see, as you say, which suits me and how the cars overall feel.

In a way though I suppose it's a classic first world problem, by all account they're both great cars in themselves.

Go for Ford! It may have a few rattles and not be kitted out with all the tech but they are fun to drive and cheap to run! My ZS has many similarities to my old xr2i which was a great little motor! Good luck with whatever car you go with! One downside to owning the Swift would be that you would have to join the suzukiownersclub forum..........they are not as nice as us lot!

Dont forget to look in the suzukis boot they are a bit on the small side if you need a bigger boot then the ford might be better

Just me, so no worries about back seat or boot space!

I'll just add that the Fiesta does handle extremely well (cornering with very little body roll) - I've opted for 17" alloys, with slightly wider tyres, which of course further helps cornering.

So it also depends on whether you're into twisty roads or straight line performance - I'd wager on a twisty road the Fiesta is superior.

As for performance, the Fiesta has (at least according to documentation) max. torque at 1500-4500 rpm. And indeed I feel it starts falling off around 5k rpm.

For me a warm/hot hatch experience is all about rpm, and shifting at 5k just doesn't fell right.

Also there's a slight delay for the turbo to spin up, when you first put your foot down (and occasionally when up-shifting), which just isn't there in a non-turbo car.

If you care about looks though I'd take the Fiesta - I don't care much for the way the Swift looks (Is it just me or is it mostly identical to a Skoda Fabia? :D)

This is obviously all about taste :-)

Personally my next car will likely be a Mazda - I like where they're going with large NA engines and low overall weight. Also I think the next Mazda 2 looks stellar (see it here, if you're interested:

)

And finally Mazda and Ford are both renowned for fun cars, with great balance in corners.

Hey NQ, my Abarth 500 was out of power by 4K, so I know just what you mean about shifting early!! And going a long way back, my first decent car was an old 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo - the turbo lag was so bad it was great...wait for it...wait for it...whoooosh!! terrific fun car though that was.

So maybe a high revving VTEC type engine will be a fun change, or maybe it will be the opposite problem and it will become annoying having to rev the crap out of it to get to the power band!!

Not so bothered about straight-line performance these days, imo bit of a willy-waving exercise! I do think the Fiesta ZS looks terrific, but I'd never prioritise such looks over handling and fun if it came to a choice. Guess I'm just a driver gal through and through!

PS The Mazda looks a nice change, as does the new Renault Twingo coming out with rear engine, rear drive. I know it's a small turbo job again, but if only Renaultsport can get hold of THAT! Something to look forward to in a few years if they do methinks.

• Like 2

fords hold their value better than suzuki & don`t fall to bits. lol

fords hold their value better than suzuki & don`t fall to bits. lol

awww come on, let's be sensible at least :)

Fords are available with MASSIVE discounts, so there's already a big chunk off them from day 1 (good for us buyers, so no problem with that). I doubt the overall depreciation has much in it. And a Japanese car, falling to bits? Probably not an argument to pick really. And even Fiat's don't 'fall to bits' these days!

Id choose the swift to be honest,

More room inside, wider chassis meaning better handling on corners and more solid car,

But this being a ford forum I'm sure ill get condemned,

I too own a ford but wouldn't buy a fiesta, I've got a focus and a polo

Are you buying new Kathy?

I was looking at 1.0T's on autotrader the other day, there are plenty below 10k. Save a few grand on one that's near as Damn it new.....

Id choose the swift to be honest,

More room inside, wider chassis meaning better handling on corners and more solid car,

But this being a ford forum I'm sure ill get condemned,

I too own a ford but wouldn't buy a fiesta, I've got a focus and a polo

To be fair lenny, looks like it's pretty even with the recommendations so far! Plenty of people in favour of the swift, which I didn't expect from the FOC!

• Like 1

I'm very open minded at the moment - I've done my research, looked at pricing, specs, reviews, but I think it's great that the forum here is open to at least discussing a car from another manufacturer...I'm sure some forums would be different!

Kristriple, of course you're right in that even better value from a near new one but sadly I'm a bit OCD , I like my new cars, I like to have the exact spec I want, to know there's no history I'm unaware of, no other drivers etc

• Like 1

Kristriple, of course you're right in that even better value from a near new one but sadly I'm a bit OCD , I like my new cars, I like to have the exact spec I want, to know there's no history I'm unaware of, no other drivers etc

Nothing wrong with that! You're the type of person I try to buy cars from!

After going from a couple of NA 1.6's to the 1.0T, I much prefer the torque of the ZS to a revvy NA. I got sick of having to change down three gears to get it to move anywhere at a decent pace. Yes the ZS has lag but you just learn to anticipate it and floor the throttle a second before you need to accelerate :-). In my opinion if you want NA you need to go the whole hog and get a Civic type R or something over 2.0 with more than 4 cylinders, but that's when insurance and petrol get expensive.

Ive had a remap and the power doesn't tail off anywhere near as much, miles quicker than any NA 1.6 and faster than NA 1.8's and 2.0's bar Civic type R's and Integra type R's. On paper its on par with the focus ST170 acceleration wise. Handling is good, though I now have to be mindful that the brakes need upgrading to match the extra pace. However still no tax and will still do 55mpg when i am disciplined enough to not go over 2000rpm and no full throttle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club