Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering Between A Fiesta Zs And A Suzuki Swift Sport

kathyp

Kathy what was the reason for selling your abarth? I love them but could never really afford the price to buy one

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

If you're into remapping your car Glynn has an excellent point - the ZS does remap rather well, whereas a NA engine usually can't be remapped at all.

In Denmark (where I live) it's illegal to remap your car, so here it's a moot point.

I don't agree you need a Civic Type R to compete with the ZS - the ZS is a "warm hatch" whereas the Civic Type R is a "hot hatch" - The Type R is more equivalent to the Fiesta ST in my opinion.

On a side note I also buy cars new, I cannot stand not knowing the full history of the car (whether the previous owner drove it like hell, if it has hidden faults, and so forth)

I guess I have OCD too :D

i've come from a FN2 Type R and while the engine is a superbly engineered piece of kit, it does become tiresome having to rev the nuts off it to get into the funzone... (Suspension is also a weak point, rock hard with a torsion beam means you feel every little bump)

The Fiesta ZS blew me away when i test drove it, i had heard good things about the 1.0 ecoboost and wanted to try it out

Pulls so smoothly through the range with some impressive toque, the suspension setup is very sweet, soaks up the rough stuff while still giving great handling

She is a looker as well, i've had loads of good remarks since picking her up, and has the potential for some tasteful aesthetic and performance mods also

Im sure you will do your homework with both motor's and be sure to let us know how you get on :)

If you're into remapping your car Glynn has an excellent point - the ZS does remap rather well, whereas a NA engine usually can't be remapped at all.

In Denmark (where I live) it's illegal to remap your car, so here it's a moot point.

I don't agree you need a Civic Type R to compete with the ZS - the ZS is a "warm hatch" whereas the Civic Type R is a "hot hatch" - The Type R is more equivalent to the Fiesta ST in my opinion.

On a side note I also buy cars new, I cannot stand not knowing the full history of the car (whether the previous owner drove it like hell, if it has hidden faults, and so forth)

I guess I have OCD too :D

I'm not saying you need a civic type R, yes it's a step above a ZS, but that as far as NA goes those are the only ones I'd look at after having a turbo car.

Also, if you do most of your miles around town Kathy you will hardly ever get to use those revs of the swift, and hence the power, whereas you can use the torque of the ZS at any speed, much more fun around town.

Glynn: Good point about driving mostly in town, I agree completely you cannot rev a car when driving in a town (at least not safely)

I'd avoid anything jap after my civic. They make good reliable engines but everything else on them is just cheap, solid plastic interiors, crap seating, everything corrodes underneath within 4 days, parts are stupidly expensive. And it's only the engines that are good. Electrics are generally poor, and then the rattles, !Removed! me the rattly interiors the !Removed! produce. Award winning in fact.

In short I always hated blue ovals, but I think the little fiesta wins by a huge margin over all other hatches bar one and it's starts with a 1.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Trying to work out what's been removed before 'after my civic' .... Japanese !Removed! ?

Edit :Ahh, you cant say the first three letters of Japanese apparently.

Kathy what was the reason for selling your abarth? I love them but could never really afford the price to buy one

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

I had it three years, it looked great, was competent in all areas but just never felt involving. Found my friends Fiat Seicento more fun to chuck about to be honest!

On the plus side, good build quality with not a rattle to be heard, has a great interior and stereo, reasonably fast, rock solid reliability, and never had as many looks as in that (if you're into that kind of thing) Plus the coolest scorpion badge hehe

BUT, as said earlier had to short shift all the time due to running out of power at about 4000rpm. Steering had a bit of a leaden feel, and car was VERY jittery at speed. I'm sure the limits were reasonably high, but the car didn't exactly feel planted exploring them! What else...drank fuel, used to get 28mpg urban even when not going crazy and low 40s on mways. And the wheels, stunning though the diamond finish was, were as fragile as china, had to get them refurbed several times as they looked awful when damaged.

Couple pics below just before I sold it, and that's another plus, they do hold their value very well. Mine had 12,000 miles after three years, mint condition and I got about 70% of my purchase price for it on a private sale. Mind you it really was as good as new inside and out.

But I've never once missed it, so maybe that says a lot!! :)

PS Sorry for taking this thread off topic!

post-53505-0-02433000-1397989897_thumb.j

post-53505-0-06691600-1397989902_thumb.j

Nothing wrong with that! You're the type of person I try to buy cars from!

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

haha yes I would be a good choice - see above ;)

• Like 1

12k after 3 years! that really is urban.... B)

thats the first time in a long time that ive heard a fiat have good build quality - especially with a jittery ride to shake it all about!

I guess on the boring side of things, im not sure which would be better at drinking less fuel. I would have a swift if i didnt have a fiesta though, but i find having to wait until 4000rpm to get any power worse than turbo lag!

I only do short trips in my Fiesta - roughly 7,5 mile to work and the same back later that day.

This in turn means a lot of my driving is with cold engine, and in turn my MPG suffers badly.

I get around 33 MPG in the Fiesta on average - the trip to work is part highway (50 mph speedlimit) and part city (30 mph speedlimit), it's probably around 50/50 highway and city.

Hope this helps in regards to fuel consumption.

33 really? My trip to work is 8.5miles and if i give it full throttle out of every roundabout and from every traffic light (to the speed limit of course) i dont see less than 39mpg. Must be colder where you live, as mine is warm within 2 miles.

On the other hand, last week after a particular expensive month (not on the car) I had to make a small amount of fuel last until pay day, after driving very carefully to work i managed 62mpg there, 58mpg round trip.

GlynnZS: My bad, I was converting to US MPG, apparently there's a rather large difference :D

I get around 39 MPG when converting to UK MPG (14 KM / L in the metric system, which is used in Denmark)

When you say your car is warm, does it mean you have 4 bars in the temperature gauge?

Mine takes about 4 miles to reach 4 bars.

Temperature around here is usually around 5-6 degrees celcius in the morning.

Ahh yes, I think the US gallon is different in size to the UK gallon. Butcher our language and our measuring systems ;-)

By warm i mean one or two bars on the temp guage, while this may not be optimal temperature, it is when the mpg guage seems to settle at an acceptable mpg for traveling at a constant speed of say 30mph, indicating the mixture is starting to lean out as the engine gets warmer.

Aaah I see, that makes excellent sense - I believe mine hits 2 bars in about 2 miles as well.

On a "funny" sidenote my Wife's Ford Ka 1.2 petrol (with 69 bhp) does about 39 MPG as well.

So I believe the Ecoboost is rather economical for its power.

I am completely biased as I just received my Fiesta about 10 days ago and so far have cracked up only 200km (I live in mainland Europe so it's KM here). Anyway, I had a look at Swifts and many other cars late last year and the start of this years as there is an annual car sale here and I have to say while the Fiesta interior is hardly high rent it didn't seem to be as flimsy as the Suzuki (in one case the plastics actually fell off in the showroom, a one-off I am sure but not impressive).

I also took a look at Mazda and Kia (same dealership). The Mazda 2 was my preferred option for a long time but felt a bit dated by comparison to the Fiesta but to be fair the 2 is due for a revamp this year. It is however on paper more reliable than the Fiesta. My brother has one and it is a great, sporty little car. Since you mentioned Fiat, I also tried Punto and was pleasantly surprised by it although in the end it was not in the same league as the Fiesta. I have colleagues who have owned Fiat and all have had no problems with them but I have read online that it seems to be the luck of the draw as to whether you get years of trouble free motoring or not.

If reliability is important for you as well and you prefer objective numbers then check out this website:

http://www.anusedcar.com/

It's based on German statistics so as you'd expect is pretty thorough. I would trust their (TüV) numbers any day over the self reported stats in the many magazines you find in the UK as they are the safety organisation in Germany. I lived there for a while so can vouch they are for real.

A friend of mine has had a Swift for years without problems and likes it a lot and I have a Fiesta, so opinion is divided but from what I can see both are great little cars. As others say just take them out for a spin.

Kathyp - have you posted this same thread in a Swift forum (if there are any,lol) and if so, what are they saying about the 2 motors ?

Kathyp - have you posted this same thread in a Swift forum (if there are any,lol) and if so, what are they saying about the 2 motors ?

Yes, and they pretty much universally go for the swift sport as you would expect!!...although they do concede the mpg is a bit poor. That in itself isn't a problem as the cheaper purchase price (no options to worry about as everything standard) will offset that and the tax for the period of time I'll be owning it.

Someone mentioned on another forum the fiesta doesn't have disc brakes all round whereas the swift does but I guess in a modern car of this kind of power its not the issue it would have been in the past.

Summing up, they both sound as if they are terrific cars just very different power delivery with different purchase price/running costs equation. Possibly the fiesta edges it in looks and interior, although if I wanted a car for that I would have kept my Abarth 500.

I'm going to try for a fiesta test drive later this week and the swift sport as soon as possible after that :)

ZS is awesome! There is no contest in my opinion

Looking forward to hearing what you think about both cars Kathy.

About disc brakes at the rear I personally prefer drum brakes - reason ? My Honda Civic constantly had to have the rear disc brakes greased up.

This happens AFAIK to a lot of cars with disc brakes on the rear wheels. It's because most of the brake pressure is applied to the front wheels, and therefore the rear brakes aren't used enough to avoid hanging calipers.

It's a hassle to grease them up yourself, and it's rather expensive to get a garage to do it.

I know people suggest braking hard, and using the handbrake as well to avoid this issue - but I did both things, and still had to have them greased up every 6 months.

Just my 2 cents in regards to disc brakes.

What were you greasing on your brake discs?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

What were you greasing on your brake discs?

I believe it's called Copper Grease in english - As far as I know it's what's commonly used for it.

My civic needed the rear caliper runners greasing every 12 months right pain in the butt

As said above it's because the fronts do most of the work, Bonus of drums in a no brake dust contamination also

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club