Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Dash Cam For Mk2 Focus????

sonic113

This is a screenshot of a video from this evening - it is a 60mph A road and this is typical of some of the tail-gating that goes on over here. The quality of the mobius is great and pausing the video when the cars are closer, I can easily read off the number plate if ever I needed some evidence.

post-48729-0-77490400-1405970148_thumb.p

Thanks for the pics.

Great idea for a mount. Its actually unnoticeable both inside and out.

Are you using a battery or a capacitor inside your Möbius? I was reading on techmoan and dashcamtalk that a capacitor is better for long-term use in a hot car but don't know if this is accurate info or not.

Is it a difficult job to hardwire it into the car and what materials are required?

I'm still waiting on mine coming in the post may take another week or two but can't wait to get it installed. Once again great idea on the mount and hidden installation.

The screen shot does show great quality. I'm actually glad now I went with the Möbius. Just the wait now is a drag but will be well worth it. Are you running a rear cam?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

For the last three years I have used the Blackvue 400HD and it worked perfectly , this actual model is no longer available , but there are newer models , it was a bit expensive but we managed to get a group buy with a previous forum.

I have now returned to Ford as my Octavia VRS died after 168,000 miles in 4 years , I am very pleased with the Focus MK3, only problem for me is getting used to the capless fuel system !!

I have started to install the camera in the Focus, have run the cable from top of screen to fuse box under the glovebox, and have a piggy back fuse connector ready to plug in.

My question is, which is a suitable fuse position to use that is controlled by the ignition?. I did tap into the AC fuse but that was live all the time.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry about the delay in getting these posted - this is my home made mount for the Mobius. It is basically a metal L bracket bent to fit the slope of the windscreen, wrapped in matt black tape and siliconed to the the glass. I tried double sided tape but that didn't hold long in the heat and diect sun but silicone really does the job.

Then I tie wrapped a thin steel plate to the Mobius case and use a magnet to hold this to the bracket. At first I used the tripod mount with a short bolt through a hole in the bracket but decided that the magnet idea would make it easier to take the camera on and off to review footage etc. This is good to do every now and then to make sure it is still recording as it should (which it is) and also to build up a collection of clips of dangerous or unusual driving habits, or just anything of interest. I might find time to edit it into a compilation sometime...maybe.

The whole lot is mounted just behind the rear view mirror on the drivers side. There is not much room there but I find it better and more stealthy than the other side and it is easier to check the LEDs from there. None of my passengers have ever noticed it so far.

The wiring is hard wired into the passger footwell fuse box to an ignition live using fuse tap. The wire runs up the A pillar and behind the rain sensor cover so completely invisable until it comes out right at the back side of the mirror. I got a right-angled USB connector to get the cable going in the right direction towards the mirror to make it easier to fit.

Here is a picture taken from the driver's door.

attachicon.gifCIMG9557.JPG

Here is a picture from the outside facing directly into the wind screen

attachicon.gifCIMG9559.JPG

Hope it helps for when you get yours delivered and ready to use.

Nice job, as Sonic says, great idea and unnoticable.

Was it any specific silicone and could it also be affected by the heat from the glass and in the car? obviously not as quickly as the tape.

To answer these questions all together:

I am using the stock battery, but as it is hardwired and it only draws power for the 10s it needs to power down when the ignition is switched off. I read that the battery does reduce in capacity over time but I'll see how long that takes before putting in a super capacitor or new battery (which are only a couple of quid anyway). I like that I can take the camera out and use it off the battery if I want to.

My install is shown in this thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52271-my-new-mobius-dashcam/page-14 It is worth reading the whole thread and there is some really good stuff in there to make the most of the Mobius. Basically I only needed a piggy back fuse tap, a 3m long cable which included a 12V to 5V transformer and ended in a 90 degree mini USB connector which plugs into the back of the Mobius. I added a second cable to the storage compartment on the dash for my SatNav which was easy to do as well.

I can't remember which fuse I tapped into but it is in the thread I have linked above and is ignition live, which means it is only powered when I turn on the ignition.

I don't run a rear cam but this could be an option sometime if I want to.

I used normal bathroom clear silicone, although my first attempt used stuff I had for gutter repair and it fell off so not all silicones are the same. This one has held firm for a few months now and that includes days at 35 degrees in full sun without any problem. I basically squirted it onto the back of the mount and pressed it onto the screen, wiping off the excess. Not sure what happens if I need to take it off, but I'll worry about that when I need to.

Thanks southbound

I will look through your guide when my Möbius arrives in post.

Thanks again.

To answer these questions all together:

I am using the stock battery, but as it is hardwired and it only draws power for the 10s it needs to power down when the ignition is switched off. I read that the battery does reduce in capacity over time but I'll see how long that takes before putting in a super capacitor or new battery (which are only a couple of quid anyway). I like that I can take the camera out and use it off the battery if I want to.

My install is shown in this thread http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/52271-my-new-mobius-dashcam/page-14 It is worth reading the whole thread and there is some really good stuff in there to make the most of the Mobius. Basically I only needed a piggy back fuse tap, a 3m long cable which included a 12V to 5V transformer and ended in a 90 degree mini USB connector which plugs into the back of the Mobius. I added a second cable to the storage compartment on the dash for my SatNav which was easy to do as well.

I can't remember which fuse I tapped into but it is in the thread I have linked above and is ignition live, which means it is only powered when I turn on the ignition.

I don't run a rear cam but this could be an option sometime if I want to.

I used normal bathroom clear silicone, although my first attempt used stuff I had for gutter repair and it fell off so not all silicones are the same. This one has held firm for a few months now and that includes days at 35 degrees in full sun without any problem. I basically squirted it onto the back of the mount and pressed it onto the screen, wiping off the excess. Not sure what happens if I need to take it off, but I'll worry about that when I need to.

OK got my Mobius today and I must say very very small and compact camera.

Been using it to record some sample footage with it on the battery and find it very good and easy to use.Very good quality as well.

southbound,

do you or anyone have a guide on hard wiring the Mobius into the focus and or a link to that 12v-5v wire you mentioned?

also i saw on the other thread you linked to regarding batteries and capacitors, I myself will just keep the battery installed in it as you have. I mean your 13 hour in use journey was a great way of testing the mobius lol!

also just out of curiosity has anyone linked the cam with an android device or anything yet?

Thanks

That was quick, I think mine took about 3 weeks to come in from China.

The other thread I linked has quite a lot of stuff about the 12V/5V connector and a guide to hardwiring if you look through it from the start. I just added my couple of photos as I deviated a bit from the guide that was already on there. My battery is still going strong after 6 months of use - it used to be able to record over an hour on one charge but to be honest I haven't tested it fully recently to know if that is reduced or not. There is a way of connecting it to an andorid device using the OTG cable but I haven't tried, so others ahould be able to advise. Hope all that helps, and don't forget to let us know how you get on.

No problem I will have areas through the thread and see if I can give it a go at hardwiring it in without blowing up anything lol!

Thanks again. I will post up pics when I get all installed.

Sonic the guide is done by me and James. Yes it is upto date it's done with my mobius in my Mk2.5 ZS so you aren't gonna get any more accurate of a guide than that I will try and post up the cables and bits needed later. I will also sort you out a link for a reliable 32gb sd card used by Ben in his mobius

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

Kurt post me the links in this thread if you can as its easy for me to find.

Cheers.

Note that you must use this specific OTG cable or modify one of you own, not all USB layout are the same, the link above is ideal for your mobius

Note that you must use this specific OTG cable or modify one of you own, not all USB layout are the same, the link above is ideal for your mobius

Thanks kurt I will get this exact one.

Here is the SD card that ben is currently using in his mobius

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291166483317?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&clk_rvr_id=661621048581&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=672625858705&afsrc=1

Here is the right angle 3M usb cable, i purchased from this exact cable from this seller

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Meter-DC-12V-24V-to-5V-3A-Right-Angled-90-Degree-Mini-USB-Power-Converter-Cable-/130978719862?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1e7ef0a876

Here is the OTG cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Mini-OTG-Cable-Use-with-Android-Devices-for-Mobius-Actioncam-16-Camera-New-/161273266568?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item258ca2c188

Here is the piggy back kit, again same seller exact one i purchased

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-MINI-FUSE-ADD-A-CIRCUIT-FUSE-TAP-PIGGYBACK-/230652186731?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b3f1106b

Kurt I have a little electrical experience but not a great level. I have never added a new circuit like this to a car system but Like everything I'm willing to learn and give it ago as long as the cars electrical system doesn't get frayed lol! so forgive me if my questions are a little backwards lol! :wacko:

Just a question about the "piggyback" and the " 3 meter cable", is it safe enough to crimp the 20amp piggy back to the small inverter cable wire that is only 3amps? :mellow:

with the "piggy back" will the circuit that we plug into still be protected?

I mean for example say you plug into the radio circuit fuse, if the radio circuit fuse ever blew will the camera power be cut or can it run as if its on a completely separate circuit with its own fuse?

and like ways if the camera ever blew a fuse with the radio fuse still be ok?

I'm just wondering as they are plugged into the same port on the fuse box.

one last thing has your mobius been running 100% with this hardwired set up?

Thanks again for the links.

I have ordered the OTG Cable and the memory card. Once you get back t me on these few questions I will order the rest.

Thanks again Kurt.

Thanks kurt I will get this exact one.

Kurt I have a little electrical experience but not a great level. I have never added a new circuit like this to a car system but Like everything I'm willing to learn and give it ago as long as the cars electrical system doesn't get frayed lol! so forgive me if my questions are a little backwards lol! :wacko:

Just a question about the "piggyback" and the " 3 meter cable", is it safe enough to crimp the 20amp piggy back to the small inverter cable wire that is only 3amps? :mellow:

with the "piggy back" will the circuit that we plug into still be protected?

I mean for example say you plug into the radio circuit fuse, if the radio circuit fuse ever blew will the camera power be cut or can it run as if its on a completely separate circuit with its own fuse?

and like ways if the camera ever blew a fuse with the radio fuse still be ok?

I'm just wondering as they are plugged into the same port on the fuse box.

one last thing has your mobius been running 100% with this hardwired set up?

Thanks again for the links.

I have ordered the OTG Cable and the memory card. Once you get back t me on these few questions I will order the rest.

Thanks again Kurt.

There is no inverter on this cable, the round plastic part is a fuse, exact type of fuse you'd find in a plug from any of your home electrical appliance (However it's a smaller rated fuse) during installation you'll need to chop this part off as you won't be using it, the piggy back it self will fuse the circuit, this fuse in the plastic part comes with the 3 meter cable if you were to wire it say for example directly to the battery.

It is save to connect the 3A cable to the 20A yes, if it was the other way round it would be unsafe, the piggy back can take anything upto 20A, anything less than that is 100% safe, the 3 meter cable only handles 3A and that's good for few mobius camera

That is the entire point of the piggy back, it creates a completely separate circuit , either fuse can blow individually on their own accordance in the event of a fault, they aren't link, if the camera fuse blow only the camera would be affected, nothing else.

Mobius works perfect hard wired, constant direct power once ignition is on so yes 100%

Follow the guide and you'll be fine, i took lots of detailed photos to make it simple and clear for everyone, use your fuse puller tool, this is all mentioned in the guide read it all it's not much to read,

Here is the guide

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/229-dash-cam-hard-wiring-mobius-actioncam/

An inverter changes AC electricity, the stuff used in our homes to DC, the stuff used in our cars and all battery devices, the Car is DC and so is the mobius so there is no need to convert the power in anyway, the 3M 3 A cable act as a resistor and limits the power going to the camera, from 12V (your car battery) to 5V powering your camera, the fuse limit current to protect to cable from burning up, therefore make sure you use a 3A fuse

EDIT: Don't let the name confuse you these asian sellers don't have a !Removed! clue what they are selling, incorrect terms being used the cable is not a converter it's an adaptor

Edited by mixmasterlooney

kurt

sorry mate I meant to say "converter" and not "inverter".

I got confused with those 12v to 230v Inverters for the car battery to a plug thing lol!

Thanks for the information and explaining.

I think I got it now lol!

Just for my own head ache I'm i correct in saying:

- the "Converter" (3m lead) job is to take the 12v from car supply and bring it down to 5v for the camera (Basically what the small plugin USB adapters for in car do to charge phones ect) as 12v would damage the camera because its rated at 5v to work..

- the piggy back is to split the one circuit into 2 separate circuits with there own rated fuse. (Kind of like a plug in wall adopter at home :mellow: lol!)

- It's ok to take small amps to a high rated amp lead (ie 3amp from device to 20 amp piggy plug), but is dangerous to do the opposite (ie 15 amps to 5amp piggy plug) because it may overheat/overload the smaller amp lead.

I have ordered all the links you posted. I also have downloaded the guide and will follow it when the leads come. I will post pics of the finished installation as well in case it may help others.

one more thing, what settings do you recommend to use in the Mobius for the dash cam setup?

I really appreciate your time and effect Kurt with the links and explaining the circuit setup.

always learn something new everyday lol!

:)

Thanks mate.

• Like 1

All above is correct it is those home wall adaptors indeed except each outlet is fused rather than everything on one fuse.

If I'm honest I don't really remember my settings it's now been a while since I've checked since I have nothing of interest recorded. I do know that HDR is turned off, in summer it's too bright for it but when I first got my cam in winter it wasn't bad it actually made the image better.

It's a feature for low light anyways

thanks Kurt

when installed i will have a play about with different setting and see what suits me the best.

thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lead arrived today so hopefully will get a go at installation over the weekend I will post up some pics when I get sorted.

thinking of modding the adhesive mounting bracket like some have done to get a more discrete installation.

I will also be using android tablet to help position camera just to get it centered to my preference.

• Like 1

Nice, have a quick test of your cables if you can before installation.

I think the custom/modified mounts look neat tbh.

• Like 1

Nice, have a quick test of your cables if you can before installation.

I think the custom/modified mounts look neat tbh.

Will do Kurt. Yeah the custom mounts are tidy looking. Hopefully I can get a nice compact install . I will keep posted any how's mate.

• Like 1

ok I finally got round to installing the Mobius dash cam and I can say I'm very glad I went with this Cam. it very very Compact and the video quality is superb.

I wanted a more compact mounting bracket so Instead of using the suction cup mount or the adhesive mount I made my own and it attaches directly to the rear view mirror bracket.

Also I hardwired the cam in using Kurts excellent PDF guide the only thing I did differently was I crimped a connector onto the earth wire just to keep it neater attached this at the earthing point in the passenger doorway.

I then give the bracket a quick paint just to blend it in with the Mirror. From the out side of the car the camera is pretty well hidden as it sits and blends in with the rear view mirror. From inside the car its not that noticeable either unless you where actually looking for it.

Here are some pics of my installation.

Drilling the rear view mirror Bracket.

Making the new mounting bracket I tool a bolt that fitte dthe same thread of the mobius base unit and cut of the tip measured the amount from one end that attaches to the mobius + the thickness of a washer and nut.

after i got this correct (took a bit of trail and error and a few bolts lol!) I put a 90 bend in the bolt and then added more nuts and washers.

Attaching the New mount to the Rear view mirror Bracket

The new mount attached to the mobius cam and the Rear view Bracket.

The crimp connector I added to the earth point and the piggy back fuse with the 7.5 and 3amp fuse attached. All cables where tidied back nice and neat to keep things right.

Test of new mount attached with camera as well. I made this so you can adjust the vertical and horizontal angles if need just by turning the cam up, down, left or right and then hand tighten the nuts to keep it in that position.

when i was happy with the angles and fittings I then give it a quick paint (may give it another coat when i get time lol) to blend it in with the dash and rear view mirror. I used a brush and Hammerite smooth satin black as it dries with no too much of a shine so I though it helps blend bracket better.

and finally the finished installation of my Dash Cam. a close up view from inside the car and a close up from the outside.

I'm happy with all and now I am experimenting with different camera settings to see what suits best. At the moment I have it set to auto start when ignition is on and when car is turned off it will record for a further 10 secs or so before shutdown. I have also set it to loop record and create clips of 3 minutes each as I find it keeps an acceptable size for fast transfer to the PC. The camera does get warm when in use but like said before that's normal and does not seem to bother the camera in any way. I would highly recommend this camera and a fit and forget installation. I will get used to this one for a while and then maybe consider a set up for the back window.

• Like 3

Nice tidy mount there Sonic

• Like 1

Thanks I think it makes it very compact and am happy with it.

Did that Adrian Flux guy ever come back with a list?

Almost certain my camera won't be on the list, but also certain it'll be as good if not better than most on said list!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club