Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus Tdci Humming Noise In Right Hand Corners

wils11

Hi can any one help me i recently bought a 16 tdci focus on a 60 plate that's only done 22000mls and for the last month its been in and out of the dealership while they try to figure out why its making a humming noise when taking right hand corners and to a lesser extent when traveling in a straight line . This problem seems to have them stumped they've tried replacing both front tyres the near side front and rear wheel bearing and the off side drive shaft bearing and still it's humming . If any one has had similar problems i'd be delighted to hear from you as the dealership don't seem to have the foggiest and also you have to book a courtesy car a month in advance which leaves me walking a mile and a half to work every time its in there and this week they want to keep it for the whole week.

Have they checked the steering rack? tried alternative tyres?

when it makes the noise you don't really feel anything anything through the steering so i think they have ruled out the rack they also tried different wheels and tyres .

Have they checked the brakes? I recently had a similar noise which I thought was a wheel bearing going. It turned out the piston had gone tight in one of the front calipers. Fortunately the disc was ok but the pads were fried.

yeah i've checked the brakes there ok so i can rule them out. I'm starting to think it's either drive shaft or diff bearings ?

I would say if its becoming this much of an issue, you should hand it back to the dealer and tell them to give you it back when its fixed, or reject the car under the sale of goods act and get a different one. If the dealer doesnt know what it is, then theres a concern! especially if its been in many times.

I wasn't sure how the law stands on this but have decided when it goes in again today that i'm gonna tell them if its not fixed this week they can keep it and either give me another car or my money back . Was gonna threaten them with trading standards but thanks for the advice i'll mention the sale of goods act .

If you argue sales of goods, make sure you quote satisfaction of goods, and if there are any serious issues then your quoting the suitability and safety of the road, but I would definately be looking to argue this one.

very odd ide have went with the bearing the noise travels so it could be on the rear or opposite side from the bearings they changed ive had it before where it sounded like the front drivers but it was the rear passengers

Thanks James i'll quote those lines to them . Idealy id just like the car to be fixed as i like it but the humming is spoiling the whole experience for me . The garage even tried something called a stethascope which records the sound from each wheel and supposedly pin points the origin of the sound but as they have gone from right front to left front to left rear i don't have a lot of confidence in it. Any way the saga continues i'll post the outcome when and if there is one !

Could be tyres if they are cheap ones ive heard some make a horrid noise when the tread gets to 3.5mm ish

Arthur, in post #3 he stated they had tried different wheels and tyres.

Graham, have they checked the engine and exhaust mountings? I only mention this because I once had a Vauxhall Cavalier that gave out a very loud buzz when I drove through large puddles. I never found out the cause but I suspected the exhaust was hanging very close to a protruding bolt or bracket and the sudden cooling caused it to distort and touch momentarily. You mentioned that your humming was worse when cornering so I wonder if the G force is moving the engine or exhaust. Mind you, at 22,000 the engine mountings ought to still be ok unless something's worked loose.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally more than a month the mystery is solved after trying another set of front wheels / tyres and drivers side front wheel bearing the noise has gone although i still had to wait another two days as they broke the ABS sensor while fitting the bearing.

Asking for my money back also payed off as i actually got a courtesy car for the last two days good old A/C dealership i never doubted them for a minute and now see why they score 10 out of 10 an their customer satisfaction survey it has nothing to do with the fact that you fill out the survey on the day you buy your car . Can't help wondering how they would score if buyers filled it in a month after purchase? ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club