Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tdci - Intermitant Turbo Failure

Geoff332

Hi there,

I've got a '07 Focus and it's often loosing power. Sometimes it's fine and runs perfectly (usually when it's cold). But quite often I get no power when I accelerate (usually around 2-2.5 revs). Occasionally, if I back off the throttle then it picks up, but mostly if it misses, it feels like it's flooding. If I keep the revs down, it runs perfectly. It's otherwise running smoothly, no unusual noises or leaks; no warning lights.

I'm not a mechanic (of any sort!), but this all sounds like a problem with the turbo. The fact it's not all the time makes me think it's not the turbo itself. And, obviously, I'd prefer not to pay to have the turbo replaced if it's something minor.

So, my questions (I'm trying to be specific!) are:
Can I do anything to diagnose it myself? By all means point me to another thread, I suspect this topic's been done to death.
Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in either Reading (where I work) or Oxford that they'd take it to?
Is there any risk of doing some serious damage driving it like this?

Thanks,
Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

I would start by checking the turbo hoses, and intercooler and make sure there are no cracks / splits or holes! Secondly I would get your EGR blanked off, as it sounds more like an EGR issue to me!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club