Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Unhappy With The Ecoboost Mpg

StripeyMiata
聽Share

I drive like a nun and get around 40-41mpg, but I think its just the route and relatively short journey I take to work.

Anyone know what gear the turbo kicks in or at what kind of revs to expect it to kick in?

54 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Anyone know what gear the turbo kicks in or at what kind of revs to expect it to kick in?

I believe it kicks in around 1400 rpm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I believe it kicks in around 1400 rpm.

that's what ford specifies actually and I can hear the turbo whistle early at 1400-1500 rpm , but practically speaking I think the boost is not effective enough until 2000 rpm

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

that's what ford specifies actually and I can hear the turbo whistle early at 1400-1500 rpm , but practically speaking I think the boost is not effective enough until 2000 rpm

I think you're right Ahmed.聽 聽Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference unless you put your food down over 2000 revs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobr said:

I think you're right Ahmed.聽 聽Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference unless you put your food down over 2000 revs.

i tend to agree anything over 2000 revs and my freshly prepared sandwich flies聽everywhere馃槅

My average since getting the car new in Oct 2019 in聽聽just over 7000 miles, 47.5mpg and 42mph average speed

On 3/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, Bolosun said:

Nope, she drives like a non-turbo car, doesn't wait for the turbo to kick before trying to accelerate.

Can't say I've ever really noticed any turbo lag in mine I just accelerate as the conditions require. Would accelerating before the turbo is at optimum waste fuel, would have thought you'd just have less power ?

On 3/6/2020 at 11:43 AM, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

I've not seen that written anywhere in my Ford manual. It's says that maximum Torque is available from 1400 rpm and it stays fairly flat at that level until just over 5,000 rpm but that doesn't necessarily mean the turbo starts spooling up at 1400 rpm.

Must be my age and dodgy hearing but I can't hear anything from the turbo at any speed/load.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, Bobr said:

Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference unless you put your food down over 2000 revs.

Shouldn't be eating while driving Bob 馃檪

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Blatto said:

I've not seen that written anywhere in my Ford manual. It's says that maximum Torque is available from 1400 rpm and it stays fairly flat at that level until just over 5,000 rpm but that doesn't necessarily mean the turbo starts spooling up at 1400 rpm.

Must be my age and dodgy hearing but I can't hear anything from the turbo at any speed/load.

you are right ford doesn't specify this directly, but its a direct conclusion, the turbo is spinning all the time even at idle, but it doesn't spin fast enough until 1400-1500 rpm , that's why ( according to ford specs ) the torque spikes to the max at that rpm, and yes I've heard it whistle around that rpm myself, just you have to have a trained sensitive ear 馃檪 , just try it in a quiet street where there are cars parked along the street and you will hear it 馃槃聽oh and be sure to give it a decent throttle 馃槃 but practically it doesn't provide any noticeable boost until 2000 rpm聽

I think also, that if that engine is put on a dyno, it will show the maximum torque starting from 2000 rpm, not from 1400 as Ford says

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

I think also, that if that engine is put on a dyno, it will show the maximum torque starting from 2000 rpm, not from 1400 as Ford says

I suppose you could interpret Ford's figures as meaning that at least the minimum claimed torque is available from 1,400 - 5,000. Dyno聽figures don't seem to bear this out though. If you look at the "before" torque curves on Superchips website, for example, it shows that they measured peak torque as occurring at 2,845 rpm on the 100ps ecoboost, 2,665 rpm on the 125, and 2,274 rpm on the 140 and in all cases even the figure claimed by Ford is not available until 2,000rpm or more.

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Extra sentence
  • Like 1

I have a 1.0L (3cyl) Ecoboost petrol but mine is an auto.聽 My driving pattern is the worst possible for economy, nearly all very short journeys (2/3 miles).聽 I get 35 - 37 mpg average which I think is not too bad for an auto with such short trips.聽 I do drive very gently to get the most out of it.聽 If you are getting less than this with a manual transmission and longer journeys, I would say there is either a problem with the car or your driving technique..

• Like 2

by the way just to clarify things for me , all the mpgs listed by you guys is it in imperial or US units ? I assume Britain uses imperial units, but for my fiesta if I choose the unit to be mpg then it would show me mpg in US units , so I'm a bit confused what mpg you use here in this forum 馃槃 ? here in Egypt we use 100km/L by the way 馃槃

11 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

by the way just to clarify things for me , all the mpgs listed by you guys is it in imperial or US units ? I assume Britain uses imperial units, but for my fiesta if I choose the unit to be mpg then it would show me mpg in US units , so I'm a bit confused what mpg you use here in this forum 馃槃 ? here in Egypt we use 100km/L by the way 馃槃

You might be onto something there. I don't know about the dashboard readout, but all the capacities quoted in both versions of my handbook are US Gallons/Litres although it does not say that they are US Gallons.

I wonder if that is why some mechanics are overfilling peoples engine oil when they do a change.

• Like 1

Interested to see what we get out of ours when we fetch it next weekend.聽

20 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

ll the mpgs listed by you guys is it in imperial or US units

All my figures I've quoted are Imperial gallons.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tizer said:

You might be onto something there. I don't know about the dashboard readout, but all the capacities quoted in both versions of my handbook are US Gallons/Litres although it does not say that they are US Gallons.

I wonder if that is why some mechanics are overfilling peoples engine oil when they do a change.

for motorcraft oil the dealer uses here in Egypt, it is sold in bottles each is one quart , that's a quarter US gallon = 0.946 litre, I think for motorcraft it is sold that way all over the world

7 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

for motorcraft oil the dealer uses here in Egypt, it is sold in bottles each is one quart , that's a quarter US gallon = 0.946 litre, I think for motorcraft it is sold that way all over the world

In the UK most oil is sold in Litres, mostly either 1,4,4.5 or 5. The latest version of my handbooks recommends Castrol Magnatec. I think Castrol make the Ford branded oil as well.

I still think it is strange that all the Gallon capacities quoted in my handbook are US ones although it does not say so.聽 .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tizer said:

In the UK most oil is sold in Litres, mostly either 1,4,4.5 or 5. The latest version of my handbooks recommends Castrol Magnatec. I think Castrol make the Ford branded oil as well.

I still think it is strange that all the Gallon capacities quoted in my handbook are US ones although it does not say so.聽 .

may be it is quoted that way to induce you to use motorcraft , since its a ford brand, any way the dealer here uses motorcraft and they told me that this is the oil recommended by ford

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club