Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Driving Test!

London's Finest

The first solo drive after passing is always the most scary one.

Being let loose on the roads with no guiding voice in your ear is a steep learning curve.

I recommend a pass plus course and a dash camera.

• Like 1

Clive is right to recommend the pass plus course, it was certainly informative an also helps bring insurance down...

..can't say I was particularly scared after passing though...

...then again I am slightly cuckoo..

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

• Like 1

Clive is right to recommend the pass plus course, it was certainly informative an also helps bring insurance down...

..can't say I was particularly scared after passing though...

...then again I am slightly cuckoo..

You must be, You moved to my patch :p

• Like 1

For your first solo drive, go out during a quiet time of the day :)

• Like 1

Still haven't seen you Clive or you smudge!

Seen plenty of Clives brethren - McDonalds drive through, etc X5's, plenty of Vauxhalls, a few Focus', today I saw the Merc riot van (or one of) having a tour of the barbican and earlier I saw an L200 which I didn't realise you folks had... Not as yet seen an/your ST on my travels..

Did see a focus estate exact same colour as mine today which made me excited..

Seen Clive once, and your car parked up several times Ian :D

Frequently see marked Focus dog vans but never and ST though!

• Like 1

First off, they cancelled the test due to bad weather? that is crazy!

Anyway, my advice (albeit to late, so to anyone else who is to take there test!) You are allowed to sound crazy on your test.

Talk yourself through it, say it out loud, "at the roundabout, 3rd exit, so right lane, indicate, 1st exit, second exit, indicate left, mirrors, move to third exit". I did this on my exam, and I got only 1 minor, however, my examiner said he "let me off" with some really minor things, because I said I was going to do it, and in the "stress" of the situation, I forgot to click the indicator all the way down, or I forgot to look in the mirror for "long enough" etc. so do it, and dont worry about sounding like a loonatic!

There is no such thing as being over cautious, as long as you dont hesitate. If your not sure about indicating, then indicate anyway ( for example, mini roundabouts) still indicate as you are leaving the roundabout, as you cannot stuff it up by being careful!

Honestly though, I would remember to relax, and like has been said, treat it like any other drive. My instructor was awesome and new his stuff, my hour long lesson before my exam, he took me on the same route the examiner used, even to the same road for the reverse around a corner, and to the EXACT same cars to do a parallel park that the examiner took me to, so the right instructor makes one heck of a difference.

• Like 2

James is right about being overcautious. There was a part in my test when I ended up behind a tractor and there were these road markings:

http://www.ukmotorists.com/signs/11b.jpg

I wasn't sure whether I was allowed to overtake or not, so rather than 'risking it' I decided to stay put and very shortly after the tractor turned off. I got a minor for it (can't remember description of it), but I figured well if I had NOT been allowed to overtake there, then it would have been a fail, so I'd rather just risk the minor and not overtake...

...obviously as it turns out, I was allowed to overtake, but I still feel that I weighed up my options correctly, even if it was wrong..

Absolutely. A minor on a test is better than a later bad judgement that causes a head on.

A broken line means you can cross it with caution, being observant for traffic from a converging lane.

• Like 1

If it's not solid then you can cross it is the way I look at it (within reason and sense)

Was overtaken on the A38 at Liskeard earlier where two lanes merge to one eastbound. Chap thought he'd chance it across those markings. He made it, but got a good toot aswell. Very dangerous considering there was just feet between his car and the central reservation and even less between our cars.

Some seem to treat broken chevrons as a sign ordering them to drive through it with impunity.

• Like 2

Saw him tearing up the outside lane in his brand new Audi, doing at least 80. I deliberately tried to block him but he was determined to push past.

Drivers think the '100yds to merge' sign means one last overtake!

• Like 1

And the other shoe drops ;)

The magic word 'Audi' explains everything.

• Like 1

If only Ian was there to give him a good ol bellow.

• Like 1

Can't expect much from Audi drivers.

They obviously don't have a brain cell if they buy a car as boring as one! :P

• Like 1

Drivers think the '100yds to merge' sign means one last overtake!

You mean it doesn't? :/

If only Ian was there to give him a good ol bellow.

Hahaha, least I have a horn that can do that now... Not like that !Removed! Nissan!

• Like 1

You mean it doesn't? :/

Sorry Ian, I was being sarcastic lol

Sorry Ian, I was being sarcastic lol

I meant I always use it as 1 last overtake :lol:

Well, not really, although if there is something slow ahead I'll make a judgement then and there... Although I'm not going to risk mine or anyone else's life/car in doing so. Makes me laugh when someone blitzes passed and then you roll up to traffic lights and they're in front of you sitting and waiting...

I had to laugh though Ian, got to the Carkeel Roundabout, roughly 5 miles on and he was sat there in traffic in front of me! lol

• Like 2

goes to show, drive like a fist doesnt really get you much further.

The amount of times I see that, where I see pleb driving, racing around, undertaking, overtaking, and he is slowed down because he is not thinking, all of a sudden our bumpers are back together again... strange that!

I find the opposite though, when I want to get away from someone, I dont see them again! :p

• Like 1

passed first time :)

Congrats :)

The first solo drive after passing is always the most scary one.

Being let loose on the roads with no guiding voice in your ear is a steep learning curve.

I recommend a pass plus course and a dash camera.

Yeah that's true, I can still remember my first solo drive. I went out in my mum's Golf for a quick drive around town and ended up taking a "different" route and had to squeeze through cars parked on both sides of a narrow road. Luckily got home unscathed.

James is right about being overcautious. There was a part in my test when I ended up behind a tractor and there were these road markings:

http://www.ukmotorists.com/signs/11b.jpg

I wasn't sure whether I was allowed to overtake or not, so rather than 'risking it' I decided to stay put and very shortly after the tractor turned off. I got a minor for it (can't remember description of it), but I figured well if I had NOT been allowed to overtake there, then it would have been a fail, so I'd rather just risk the minor and not overtake...

...obviously as it turns out, I was allowed to overtake, but I still feel that I weighed up my options correctly, even if it was wrong..

I think that's a bit harsh giving you a minor for that, the tractor's blocking the whole lane anyway so it's not like you could hold anyone up. Also that central part of the road with the markings collects all sorts of debris and it's not worth covering your tyres in that stuff just to save a few seconds. That's especially true on the road through my village where they resurfaced the road by basically throwing gravel and stones all over it. The sound of many many stones hitting the paintwork is not nice.

• Like 2

Driving along the same stretch of road this afternoon, and with my dash cam on board, I managed to catch this Vauxhall Zafira pulling the same maneuver, this time on a solid white line; he must've just nipped in front of the traffic island!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club