Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like having a trapped seed, or flat piece of seed below my gum line, it's remarkably painful for such a small incursion, all my attempts with floss so far, have failed to dislodge it:sad:  Raspberries and blackberries are the usual suspect but I haven't eaten any of those.  I did, however have 12.5 grams linseeds and pumpkin seeds yesterday, about 4 hours before I first noticed it.:mellow:

Although, whilst pumpkin seeds are flatter enough to slip into the gum, they are just too big. Linseeds are smaller enough but too round!  There must have been a rogue seed in my pack:sad:

Now trying frequent applications of Listerine, to sort of wash it out, or at least to wash it to within flossing distance:unsure:

31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Easter eggs in Tesco already!  :rolleyes:  Next to the discounted xmas items. :laugh:  However I did have a giggle at the fact Tesco have fitted some black bollards behind spaces in the darker end of the carpark within the last week...and ones been hit and on the lean already, surely they saw how that would end! :lol: 

I noticed that last week! 

Mind you Tesco put the Xmas stuff out in mid August: with the same time scale, Easter eggs should've been put out in mid December:unsure::laugh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't like having a trapped seed, or flat piece of seed below my gum line, it's remarkably painful for such a small incursion, all my attempts with floss so far, have failed to dislodge it:sad:  Raspberries and blackberries are the usual suspect but I haven't eaten any of those.  I did, however have 12.5 grams linseeds and pumpkin seeds yesterday, about 4 hours before I first noticed it.:mellow:

It's such a shame some of the tastier fruit is ruined by annoying seeds tbh, I really like the flavour of raspberries and blackberries but I tend to avoid 'proper' ones due to the seeds. :sad:  Not sure raspberry cheesecake/ice cream quite has the same health benefits. :laugh:  Though I do wonder if they'll eventually be able to make more fruit seedless in the future, like grapes are now.  I never understand who chooses the seeded grapes when both are available side by side. :unsure: 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Not sure raspberry cheesecake/ice cream quite has the same health benefits.

Just after Xmas, I went out, but forgot to take the apple (a critical 1 of my 5 (or usually less) a day).

But I did find some Jacobs Club biscuits, that had "Fruit" written in big letters on the packet, so I assumed they would do instead. Very nice too!:thumbup:

After Xmas, I am having to carefully, and very slowly, reduce my chocolate intake. Don't want to get withdrawal symptoms:sick:.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It's such a shame some of the tastier fruit is ruined by annoying seeds tbh, I really like the flavour of raspberries and blackberries but I tend to avoid 'proper' ones due to the seeds. :sad:  Not sure raspberry cheesecake/ice cream quite has the same health benefits. :laugh:  Though I do wonder if they'll eventually be able to make more fruit seedless in the future, like grapes are now.  I never understand who chooses the seeded grapes when both are available side by side. :unsure: 

The problem breeders have found with developing a lot of seedless varieties, is that you lose the flavour, as you try to get the plants to produce what in essence are sterile offspring. 

Unless you happen to able to reproduce the plant vegetatively rather than through mixing male and female pollen. Occasionally, there is a seedless relative that you can try to breed in, or one whose seeds are so small that you don't notice.  Seedless grapes parentage is from this route. they have seeds but they're so tiny, you have to look really hard to see them.

Bananas are one of the most successful fruits that are reproduced by planting cuttings from a sport (accidental but spontaneous mutant) that was seedless.  All the commercial banana plants derive from that one accidental sport, some time ago, in the Victorian age.  The true banana is a mass of flat 2p piece sized seeds, surrounded by a thin column of banana flesh, juicier than it's commercial counterpart but rather awkward to eat.

The Sharonfruit was bred and developed from the rather seedy Kaki (aka persimmons), they are reproduced by grafting cuttings on to ordinary persimmon stock.  All the seedless citruses (or should that citri? :unsure:) are grafted cuttings from a sport

The Isaelis and the New Zealand fruit breeders are the leaders in the field with our East Malling agricultural research facility and the US Texas Dept. of Agricultural coming in behind them

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

After Xmas, I am having to carefully, and very slowly, reduce my chocolate intake. Don't want to get withdrawal symptoms:sick:.

Chocolate is one food I've never been particularly drawn to as an adult, as child it was almost mandatory to like and  have it. 

I sort of grew out of it a desire for it around puberty, about the time I discovered a fondness for olives and spinach

• Like 2

I've just discovered (by finding the card under some unrelated paperwork) that i forgot to go to Machine Mart on Sunday for the "VAT free off Clarke and 10% off everything else" day.:ohmy:

I had built up quite a long list of things to get, having forgotten the previous one, last time:wallbash:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Easter eggs in Tesco already!  :rolleyes:  Next to the discounted xmas items. :laugh:  However I did have a giggle at the fact Tesco have fitted some black bollards behind spaces in the darker end of the carpark within the last week...and ones been hit and on the lean already, surely they saw how that would end! :lol: 

I also don't like wrongly assuming January was a quiet month for car dealers...there wasn't a single space in the carpark of Ford or Vauxhall. :ohmy:  So I had to be one of 'those' that makes an extra space at the end of a row. :sad:  Waste of time anyway, nothing in budget, the Focus that was heavily reduced that I'd gone to look at had already sold lol.

I hope you weren't looking at "those"... :shock:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I hope you weren't looking at "those"... :shock:

I was actually looking at a Focus there lol... Honest!  Not really sure how they're allowed to sell part exchanged Fords when they're literally a few footsteps away but the Ford dealer also had a Vaux there. :laugh: 

Tbh if the Astras had been cheaper I might have given them more thought, but it seems the dealer's have a lower limit for forecourt cars (above my budget) and just auction the rest to independents.  

In that small area there is Ford, Citroen, Vauxhall, Kia, Toyota and Lexus so you can walk between them easily.  Then Hyundai just round the corner a short drive away.  

VW, Seat and Peugeot are all on the other side of town, doubt there's much point but I'll try and visit them on Friday.

Well Ghana, I never expected to learn so much about fruit this evening!! :biggrin:

5 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I must admit, I'm not really a fan of chocolate.  I never really was from a child...  

I do have my vices though (biscuits, ice cream, internet forums lol) but lack the control to just cut down so I go completely cold turkey now and then.  Works well until I think 'a little won't hurt' then end up starting the cycle again! :laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I must admit, I'm not really a fan of chocolate.  I never really was from a child..

When I was a kid, I had the usual desire for anything sweet, not chocolate in particular, but lots of sweets are coated in it anyway.

I have rather grown into a liking for the stuff over the last 10 years or so. Not the sickly sweet things, but nice strong dark chocolate, on biscuits, nuts &  some "adult" choccys like Thorntons.

Most of the time I can keep it under control. There are some emergency rations under my desk, and one bar can last a couple of weeks! But when I go outside & do some hard physical work, it is a different story. A packet of Jaffa cakes will just about see me through the morning!

4 hours ago, GMX said:

about the time I discovered a fondness for olives and spinach

Olives are ok (can you coat them in chocolate? :tongue:), but I have yet to develop a fondness for spinach. Yuk, nasty green goo. :thumbdown: The old Popeye cartoons just did not get the message across!

3 hours ago, GMX said:

i forgot to go to Machine Mart on Sunday for the "VAT free off Clarke and 10% off everything else" day

I would hate that! I once forgot to hand in a £5 off Tesco voucher at the checkout. It really made me cross :furious:. After some haggling at the customer service till, they agreed to give me the £5, after carefully pointing out the clear conditions to use it at the till. Cooled me down a bit, but I was still annoyed with myself. It rather spoils the idea of the voucher intended to encourage happy customers to return.

• Like 2

It is technically yesterday's "don't like" now, as it took me until after midnight to remember what it was, but here goes. 

I don't like Tesco in Elgin deciding to use their toilet/kitchen roll aisle for Christmas stock (now completely redundant anyway) and the only toilet rolls available being those at the ends of the aisles that were on special offers etc...  The problem with that is that I never buy branded toilet roll as even on special offer it is still a rip-off (pardon the pun), and always go for the EDV rolls, but guess what they didn't have ANYWHERE in the store?  Yep, the EDV.

If I go through to Inverness tomorrow I'll buy some there, unless they have had the same idiotic idea.

It really irritates me beyond description when they move stock around, or get rid of it completely.  Call it a mental illness or just my personality, but I like routine and HATE change.  It takes my brain so long to get used to things being done one way that a sudden, unplanned change is very annoying and stressful.

Inverness definitely have their toilet roll in the right place, even the Sainsburys in Nairn still has its loo roll in the right place [emoji4]

I don't like this weather, to wet and windy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Inverness definitely have their toilet roll in the right place, even the Sainsburys in Nairn still has its loo roll in the right place emoji4.png

I don't like this weather, to wet and windy.

Good to know!

I have to agree about the weather, not exactly conducive to a good nights sleep (especially with the sea air).  Somehow I find it hard to believe the BBC's weather forecast of snow...

Good to know!
I have to agree about the weather, not exactly conducive to a good nights sleep (especially with the sea air).  Somehow I find it hard to believe the BBC's weather forecast of snow...

No way we are getting snow, seem to be in a little pocket that doesn't get the worst of the weather, although you're right he sea air does bring a certain nip to the air.

3 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

No way we are getting snow, seem to be in a little pocket that doesn't get the worst of the weather, although you're right he sea air does bring a certain nip to the air.

That's exactly what it is, which isn't a bad thing to be fair.  The last "real" snow-fall I remember was the winter of 2010/11 when we lived in Findochty (between Buckie and Cullen), and it did leave a few people stranded who didn't have 4-wheel drive or winter tyres. 

It is always worse inland though, towards Keith and onward.  The coastal places (Cullen, Buckie, Lossie, Nairn etc...) are kept clear due to the higher salt content in the air, or at least that's my theory.

Aye, Keith seems to get the worst of all the weather. Fair play to them I say, they speak funny [emoji6] so can't tell the difference between a compliment.
Nairn is usually lucky with the weather but when it does hit they are so unprepared that it's dangerous lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

The problem with that is that I never buy branded toilet roll as even on special offer it is still a rip-off (pardon the pun), and always go for the EDV rolls, but guess what they didn't have ANYWHERE in the store?  Yep, the EDV.

They aren't value though!  The midrange own brand are far better.  My Nan uses the value ones and I dread having to poo there, haven't had a choice the last few weeks though, got through half a roll and 2 flushes last week as it's so bad... :unsure: :laugh:   She has the same toilet frequency as yourself though so maybe that's why she doesn't care about it. :lol: 

6 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

That's exactly what it is, which isn't a bad thing to be fair.  The last "real" snow-fall I remember was the winter of 2010/11 when we lived in Findochty (between Buckie and Cullen), and it did leave a few people stranded who didn't have 4-wheel drive or winter tyres. 

Last real snow we had was in 2010 as well, but I lived on a peninsula then, between 2 rivers next to the sea...despite the salt we always got the worst of the snow down there, it seemed to have its own climate!  :wacko:  Shouldn't get it so bad where I am now, but we haven't had anything other than a light dusting since I moved so far lol. 

I don't coming down to the kitchen to make another coffee and finding the floor covered in tiny blood spatters:ohmy:  Having inspected everyone's paws, and then everyone's noses and rear ends, I can't find, who has a small injury that bled for while between my 2nd and 3rd coffee:unsure:

Brandy had a bowl of fresh necks for her breakfast.  She does like to hold one in her mouth, chewing the end and wandering around with it hanging out of her mouth.  As everyone is intact and injury free, the only conclusion I can draw, is that during her breakfast wanderings each neck was dribbling slightly on to the floor; causing the little splatters:mellow:

9 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like Tesco in Elgin deciding to use their toilet/kitchen roll aisle for Christmas stock (now completely redundant anyway) and the only toilet rolls available being those at the ends of the aisles that were on special offers etc...  The problem with that is that I never buy branded toilet roll as even on special offer it is still a rip-off (pardon the pun), and always go for the EDV rolls, but guess what they didn't have ANYWHERE in the store?  Yep, the EDV.

The loo roll/kitchen roll  aisle at my local Tesco is always the sacrificial one when Tesco have seasonal goods, three times a year it gets compromised.:sad: Then there's the hunt, on where have they put them.  My favourite loo rolls (Tesco Luxury soft 24pk) spent the Xmas period wedged between sweet plain biscuits and savoury crackers.  Whereas the EDV loo rolls and kitchen rolls, along with the bin liners were placed next to the Polish/Russian foods.

Since last weeks arrival of the Easter eggs, many of the loo rolls have returned, as they favour placing them on huge towers at each end of aisle. 

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They aren't value though!  The midrange own brand are far better.  My Nan uses the value ones and I dread having to poo there, haven't had a choice the last few weeks though, got through half a roll and 2 flushes last week as it's so bad... :unsure: :laugh:   She has the same toilet frequency as yourself though so maybe that's why she doesn't care about it. :lol:

That was also Martin Lewis' conclusion, after a weekend of buying and unrolling all the available loo rolls, calculating the value per sq.M and quality of the paper: rather than the price per sheets per roll,

We get snow so rarely, and snow that settles and stays put is even rarer than that.  December 2009 was the last time, but you have to go back to 1986 for the time before that.:laugh:

I don't like the fact that today I had to take my winter hat out of hibernation for the first time this winter! 

I don't like that tonight's tea was actually quite painful:shock::scared::shocking: , on account my cracked molar.  It's more painful tonight than it was.:sad:  In contrast, last night's tea wasn't agony; nor was it softer less chewy food either, it was virtually identical apart from the protein source.  Last night was bacon, brie and red Leicester: tonight was gammon, camembert and cheddar

Although i tried to keep my food away from it, chewing mainly on the left, some inevitably slipped over on to it.  Linseeds, broccoli and gammon were almost induced eye watering:crybaby: pain,  the pumpkin seeds were wincing:shocking:: the Camembert, pecans  and cheddar weren't so bad but still quite painful:sad:

Although, I thought I wouldn't be able to fit in trip to the dentist to sort it out this week, after tonight's tea, I will try to shuffle a few things:unsure:

I wonder if the crack has gone right down to the root and is now impacting on the nerve:eek:

55 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I don't like the fact that today I had to take my winter hat out of hibernation for the first time this winter! 

You have a dedicated winter hat?

It's quite warm down here but very windy, i almost lost a sheet next door between putting it on the line and reaching for some pegs:laugh:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GMX said:

I don't like that tonight's tea was actually quite painful:shock::scared::shocking: , on account my cracked molar.  It's more painful tonight than it was.:sad:  In contrast, last night's tea wasn't agony; nor was it softer less chewy food either, it was virtually identical apart from the protein source.  Last night was bacon, brie and red Leicester: tonight was gammon, camembert and cheddar

Although i tried to keep my food away from it, chewing mainly on the left, some inevitably slipped over on to it.  Linseeds, broccoli and gammon were almost induced eye watering:crybaby: pain,  the pumpkin seeds were wincing:shocking:: the Camembert, pecans  and cheddar weren't so bad but still quite painful:sad:

Although, I thought I wouldn't be able to fit in trip to the dentist to sort it out this week, after tonight's tea, I will try to shuffle a few things:unsure:

I wonder if the crack has gone right down to the root and is now impacting on the nerve:eek:

It's quite warm down here but very windy, i almost lost a sheet next door between putting it on the line and reaching for some pegs:laugh:

😣Dude please go to the Dentist,

I can't read no more 🙈

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GMX said:

I only ever wear a hat when it gets cold so I suppose I've done not too bad to get this far without having to wear one.

And as Lenny says, get to a dentist ASAP!!! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GMX said:

I have to be the third person to say it Ghana, and I know I don't heed my own advice, but go to the dentist as soon as you can.  If it is that bad then it won't get better by itself, and leaving it will only make mattes worse.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lenny said:

😣Dude please go to the Dentist,

15 hours ago, Turvey said:

And as Lenny says, get to a dentist ASAP!!! 

15 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I have to be the third person to say it Ghana, and I know I don't heed my own advice, but go to the dentist as soon as you can.  If it is that bad then it won't get better by itself, and leaving it will only make mattes worse.

Having been on "stand by" on the off-chance of a cancellation, all morning and now into the afternoon. The earliest my dentist can see me is Monday morning:sad:  I suppose there's a chance someone will cancel tomorrow:unsure:, and I only need 20 minutes notice, to get there.  Subject to my neighbour being drafted in to dog sit Brandy

So, that's low carb soup, liquidised meals and leafy vegetable based smoothies until Monday then:unsure:

His receptionist did say, there is the option of going to A&E if it gets any worse, but I don't really want to be one of those people who clog up A&E with something that is neither an emergency nor an accident. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GMX said:

Having been on "stand by" on the off-chance of a cancellation, all morning and now into the afternoon. The earliest my dentist can see me is Monday morning:sad:  I suppose there's a chance someone will cancel tomorrow:unsure:, and I only need 20 minutes notice, to get there.  Subject to my neighbour being drafted in to dog sit Brandy

So, that's low carb soup, liquidised meals and leafy vegetable based smoothies until Monday then:unsure:

His receptionist did say, there is the option of going to A&E if it gets any worse, but I don't really want to be one of those people who clog up A&E with something that is neither an emergency nor an accident. 

That's along waiting time mate, if i was you id go Tesco and get a bottle of Captain Morgans with coke👍

its strange to say but; this happens to me few years ago on the Thursday a bank holiday weekend, couldn't get any dentist until Tuesday.

my mother phoned a dentest in northern Ireland which is part of the UK and I got an appointment for the Friday morning paid sterling tooth out job done brexet could see a change in this facility suppose you could fly somewhere to get it out, attach a string to your tooth and the control tower before take off 😉

Also liquid diet isint pleasant but reminds me of my mother as she has been on liquids only now since January 2016 following bowel cancer in 2012 they rejoined the bowel and all was fine but in late 2011 the passage through the joint closed up smaller due to a blockage which left scar tissue on the joint, 

Ever since then shes not even allowed a Sesame seed as it could get caught block the bowel and potentially burst which would be goodnight. Dinners need to be blended to liquid all the time Christmas dinner straight in the blender no holidays from it, I'd be gettin rid of all me teeth of that was me as this is how it's gonna be to the end, as the operation is too high risk due to being such a complex task that say it was a success the first time and thank God it worked, we can't risk going back in again.

another wierd reminder for me is every time i hear the term "scar tissue" the red hot chillies start playing in my head and I physically have to hold myself back from commencing full on air guitar 

In all regards "im just saying" not looking to bring down the morrall of the thread or anything.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club