Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Dashcam For Mk7 Fiesta

ukcal

Hi all,

For the second time this year so far, my older sister has been in a road collision. Yesterday's also involved her 6 year old son. I'm pleased to say that, despite being hit by a bus from behind at 30mph, their injuries could have been a lot worse.

Onto the discussion of dashcams.

The bus, naturally, had a dashcam which captured everything, the fault of another driver, the inevitability of the collision, etc. I'm beginning to think fitting one into my Fiesta - JUST IN CASE - might be a good idea.

So, what dashcams are people rocking, which are good, which are best to avoid? Etc, etc.

Also, has anyone informed their insurance company about a dashcam installation with a reduction in premium at all?

Thanks, guys!

I'm pretty sure your get the same answer from most members.

Möbius actioncam.

That's what I have.

Fiesta St-3 Mp215

I use an E-prance 0803, works well. A dashcam is the one thing I'd always recommend as a priority nowadays. As for insurance companies, they are still behind the times and don't seem to offer any sort of discount, in the main, for having one.

If I replace mine, I'll be looking at models that have 2 pickups, as obviously being hit from behind doesn't actually get shown on just a forward facing camera apart from any jolt that may move the car out of it's normal movement. Either that, or fit a second individual camera facing rearwards.

This site is very good for dashcam reviews and can give you some ideas

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams

Mobius gets my vote. And I got a 10% discount from AXA for having a dashcam, so the camera paid for itself :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I also need to look at the situation of wiring such things... I've fitted an underseat subwoofer into my car, so I'm quite familiar with my fuseboxes and rewiring bits and bobs, but it's something else to have a think about!

• Like 1

Drivepro 200 i used , come in very handy when i left my car at Gatwick with purple parking.com

• Like 1

I have 2,one spare and one in the car ( Mobius spare ) cdv300x,spot on as it don't use a sucker on the

window,fits on plastic of mirror cover so don't stick out when you look into window from outside,still see it but

just the lense.

But if i didn't have this it's mobius,one thing.....don't think the more you pay the better it is,i have tried a nice few.

Mobius is £50 and it's amazing and mine in was £89.and on par with it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I also need to look at the situation of wiring such things... I've fitted an underseat subwoofer into my car, so I'm quite familiar with my fuseboxes and rewiring bits and bobs, but it's something else to have a think about!

There are a few threads on here about hard-wiring dash cams and it's not a difficult job. I paid to have mine done at an independant Ford garage and it only cost about £20, that might be a good idea because insurance companies can demand to see proof that the dashcam was fitted by a professional.

Its so easy to fit,if i can do it anyone can :)

As said above there are a few topics on here about the best one for you and fitting.

As for insurance,as long as it's done as it should be ( was told this on here ) like fused

and the hard wire kit from fuse box it's all fine as it's the same a garage would do.

Have a look on the topics on here,there are a nice few and helped me a lot.

I really wanted the mobius but i didn't want to have to remove the mem card to view footage and from what I remember it didn't have parking mode?, maybe that's changed now?,

So I went with the Blackvue dr650 in the end and although pricey it ticks all the boxes and with a power magic pro means it'll keep going when the car is off. I'm very happy with it. Dead easy to install with the help of the forum guides and if I can do it anyone can!

It's already caught two little sh*ts on film lobbing a stone at my car which surprisingly the police are interested in pursuing.

Would be interested to know which one you go for in the end!.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 2

I really wanted the mobius but i didn't want to have to remove the mem card to view footage and from what I remember it didn't have parking mode?, maybe that's changed now?

You can connect the Mobius directly to a computer / laptop to view and copy videos and configure it, so you don't have to remove the SD card.

For the people that use the möbius what setting do you have it on?

I had mine on 15min recording but my 32gb memory card is full after about 3-4 hours driving then stops recording.

Do you use the 5 min loop recording?

Fiesta St-3 Mp215

^ Yes 5 minute loop is best I think, then you don't loose much each time a file is deleted (which is happening every 5 minutes once the SD card fills up). I got a 64gb card and it stores almost 8 hours I think.

For the money/size/pc setting and the picture you won't beat the Mobius.

I had the Mobius v2 wide lense first but wanted one with no screen sucker so tried this one i have now and love it.

Don't forget play back on your p.c is half the stuff,go through a good program that gives you good 1080p play back.

Don't forget play back on your p.c is half the stuff,go through a good program that gives you good 1080p play back.

Yeah I think it's worth mentioning that I've had a couple of issues playing back the videos. Connecting my laptop directly to the camera sometimes causes the video playback to stutter, which is probably just a compatibility thing and the connection is too slow. Also some programs can't seem to play the sound in sync with the video. I find what works best is to connect the SD card directly to the computer with a card reader, and surprisingly Windows Media Player is perfect for playing back the videos. They should also play fine on any device that can play videos from an SD card, smart TVs etc (I haven't tried this though).

Mobius v.3 ;)

Set to 5min loop recording with a 32GB card, which I've hard wired in myself.

• Like 1

Mobius v.3 ;)

Set to 5min loop recording with a 32GB card, which I've hard wired in myself.

How hard was it to hard wire? Is it faultless with its operation like that? That's what I want to do but I'm useless with electronics. So I have a 3m cable hanging down atm.

Fiesta St-3 Mp215

^ I had a cable dangling for ages, but the wiring in is easy if you use a guide, and are quite practical. I think the only hard part might be getting the cables properly tied into place, looking at what the mechanic did to mine he did a really good job of that, but it looks like quite a difficult space to work in behind the glove box. Well that's why I paid someone to do it cos I'm useless with anything like that.

How hard was it to hard wire? Is it faultless with its operation like that? That's what I want to do but I'm useless with electronics. So I have a 3m cable hanging down atm.

Fiesta St-3 Mp215

It was so easy to do mate:

post-62796-0-22635200-1428522108.jpg

post-62796-0-93279100-1428521734.jpg

post-62796-0-38198000-1434232849_thumb.j

That's all the wiring that's visible.

The rest was tucked along roof lining, down along passenger door seal, in through the side of the glove box, and it's plugged into a "piggybacked" cigarette socket. I did order the USB hard-wire kit (which I still have, but not used), I was SO impatient for it to arrive, I ended up using a 3m USB lead that I found laying about at home - not have any faults at all with it. Powers up every time the I press the "start" power button :D

I hard wired my mobius similar to above but using piggyback fuse and it took me 20min max.

I ran my cable down the inside of the "A pillar" trim.

Any other Mobius users use the "motion detect" setting? i.e: Start recording when motion has been detected? (car parked up, or something like that?)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club